Join in on our classic gaming club!
MrPopo

Re: Together Retro 2016 Calendar - FINAL

by MrPopo Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:26 pm

BogusMeatFactory wrote:I may play the second though, as I haven't and am interested to see how well it plays out. I know it is flawed, but there are some great concepts I hear. And you know me, I love vision, even if it fails to meet it.

I highly recommend The Sith Lords. Obsidian has an interesting take on a lot of the traditional Star Wars tropes that I found every interesting. And the version that's on Steam has a lot of enhancements to smooth out the leftover bugs.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:32 pm

noiseredux wrote:Together Retro 2016 Calendar:

Cool. My plans:

Jan - Star Wars Knights Of The Old Republic Will play on XBox
Feb - Pitfall Probably gonna skip this one. Don't own an Atari, don't want a collection, don't like the game from experience.
Mar - Oddworld Will play on PS1.
Apr - R-Type Still deciding between the TG16 and SMS ports of this.
May - Puyo Puyo I have this ready to go on PC Engine. I might pick up Madou Monogatari on SNES and play the translation patch too!
Jun - Call Of Duty & Medal Of Honor I will probably sit this one out, but I guess I could give MOH on PS1 a try?
Jul - Daytona USA I played this just this year and hated it, so this month I'll definitely sit out.
Aug - Metal Slug I have the Wii collection. I might pick up 1st Mission for NGPC as I have 2nd Mission already.
Sep - Street Fighter III What consoles is this on? I actually don't know
Oct - Ghosts N Golbins & Alone In The Dark Is GNG on anything other than SNES and arcade compilations? Alone in the Dark I will play on 3DO hopefully
Nov - Solomon's Key I'd probably play the GB Solomon's Club
Dec - Star Control II 3DO for sure.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:36 pm

alienjesus wrote:Apr - R-Type Still deciding between the TG16 and SMS ports of this.

The SMS port has some incredibly bad sprite flickering. I'd assume TG16 handles it better.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:37 pm

Ghosts and goblins was on Nes commodore 64, amiga, Wii and 3ds for virtual console, ps1, saturn, x360.and ps3 as part of a compilation
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:45 pm

BogusMeatFactory wrote:Ghosts and goblins was on Nes commodore 64, amiga, Wii and 3ds for virtual console, ps1, saturn, x360.and ps3 as part of a compilation

Yeah, leaning towards NES depending on price.

Is the Arcade game considered better/fairer than the NES game?

MrPopo wrote:
alienjesus wrote:Apr - R-Type Still deciding between the TG16 and SMS ports of this.

The SMS port has some incredibly bad sprite flickering. I'd assume TG16 handles it better.

Yeah, this seems to be the case. I just have a lot of love for the SMS and it was a pretty defining game at the time!
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:53 pm

This may be moot if you have a Retron 5, but some of the Capcom compilations allow you to save. Sure it seems like a crappy way to play an arcade game like GnG but damn that game is hard and lengthy if you keep dying/continuing.

The NES port is pretty faithful to the arcade original. I'd say the difficulty is pretty similar overall.

You don't have a C64 do you? I know you live over in PAL Land. That particular port is quite short and looks easier though I'd wager that the controls are ass.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:01 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:This may be moot if you have a Retron 5, but some of the Capcom compilations allow you to save. Sure it seems like a crappy way to play an arcade game like GnG but damn that game is hard and lengthy if you keep dying/continuing.

The NES port is pretty faithful to the arcade original. I'd say the difficulty is pretty similar overall.

You don't have a C64 do you? I know you live over in PAL Land. That particular port is quite short and looks easier though I'd wager that the controls are ass.

I have a commodore 64, but no disc drive or tape deck to play games on it. I can't imagine playing a game as hard as GnG with a joystick though!

I also have a Retron5 too, so saving is no big deal.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:07 pm

I'm tempted to get the C64 GnG but there's only one NTSC copy on eBay right with a $45 price tag. Yikes! I'll probably end up playing the arcade and NES versions.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:14 pm

Jan - Star Wars Knights Of The Old Republic - already own it on Steam.

Feb - Pitfall! - probably grab the Activision Anthology on PC.

Mar - Oddworld - will get it on Steam.

Apr - R-Type - the Amiga version is free from Factor5.

May - Puyo Puyo - I have Mean Bean on Steam, so probably that version.

Jun - Call Of Duty - I have it on PC already.

& Medal Of Honor - maybe PS1 or I may skip it and play COD2 since I also have that on PC.

Jul - Daytona USA - gonna track down the PC version.

Aug - Metal Slug - will get it on Steam and hopefully co-op w/ Mike or others here?

Sep - Street Fighter III - gonna pick up the PS2 vers I guess.

Oct - Ghosts N Golbins - I'm thinking about checking out a fan remake that was made a few years ago. The DOS version is pretty shit-on.

& Alone In The Dark - the first 3 games are $6 on GOG so I'll get it there.

Nov - Solomon's Key - either DOS or try the fan remake that's out there.

Dec - Star Control II - free fan remake.
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

by laurenhiya21 Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:35 pm

I wasn't able to really participate this year (due to stress, lack of money, and moving so much) but I think I'll give a few of these a go next year.

My plan:

Jan - Star Wars Knights Of The Old Republic I'll probably try the Steam version.
Feb - Pitfall Probably skip since I don't have an Atari. If it was on the Atari Anthology I would but it doesn't look like it :/
Mar - Oddworld Skipping since I know I don't like it.
Apr - R-Type Maybe I could get the 360 version? Not sure how different it is from the original but I don't have any of the consoles it's on (other than handhelds I suppose)
May - Puyo Puyo I have Super Puyo Puyo so I could give that a shot.
Jun - Call Of Duty & Medal Of Honor Probably skip. Not that big on FPSs
Jul - Daytona USA I might be on a trip then, but if I have time I'll play the Dreamcast version.
Aug - Metal Slug I'll probably get the Wii Anthology or the Steam version.
Sep - Street Fighter III Might be skipping since I have another big trip then.
Oct - Ghosts N Goblins & Alone In The Dark Probably skip Goblins (not too keen on the difficulty) and maybe get the GOG version of Alone in the Dark.
Nov - Solomon's Key I'll probably skip this.
Dec - Star Control II And I'll probably skip this too.
Return to Together Retro