Join in on our classic gaming club!
Lazer
64-bit

Re: Together Retro 2016 Nomination Thread OMG!

by Lazer Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:58 pm

Ghost n' Goblins is horror? :lol:
It's a fun action-platformer, not a horror game. The main character wears boxers and can be turned into a baby. Don't get me wrong, I'll play it. Put it into the vacant slot left by Pokemon.

The horror game should be something scary. I nominate Eternal Darkness.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:55 pm

"Horror" as in "spooky, Halloween-y atmosphere" - not "this is literally going to scare you."
Lazer
64-bit

by Lazer Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:45 am

BoneSnapDeez wrote:"Horror" as in "spooky, Halloween-y atmosphere" - not "this is literally going to scare you."

I agree with "spooky, Halloween-y atmosphere", I just think it's funny that it's competing with the other two games under "horror". I suppose the difficulty makes it pretty scary.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:04 am

Sload Soap wrote:These aren't votes or whatever just recommendations for what has been suggested.

If Guilty Gear is picked X2 and its variations would be the way to go.

Virtua Fighter 2 is the safest bet in this series, VF1 is a bit archaic and VF5 a bit too new.

I think a sports game should be picked in the open slot. Haven't had one since World Series Baseball and stuff like Tecmo Bowl, Blades of Steel and Virtua Tennis have appeal beyond being defined as just sports games.

Not sure why puzzle games are being put forward TBH, I thought Solomon's Key had that covered.

Match 3 puzzle games are a very, very different genre to puzzle games like Sokoban, Solomon's Key or Adventure of Lolo - they have a completely different pace and play nothing alike.

We played Mario Golf 1 month ago. Just because it's Mario, doesn't mean it's not a sports game. It plays pretty much like any golf game of the era.

Lazer wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:"Horror" as in "spooky, Halloween-y atmosphere" - not "this is literally going to scare you."

I agree with "spooky, Halloween-y atmosphere", I just think it's funny that it's competing with the other two games under "horror". I suppose the difficulty makes it pretty scary.

Rather than thinking of them as 'Horror' think of them as 'Halloween'. We;re basically discussing the October slot here, any horror themed game will work, it doesn't have to be in the horror genre.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:04 am

yeah "Halloween" is a better descriptor. To some folks Halloween is about watching Hellraiser. To others it's about watching episodes of The Simpsons Tree House of Horror. Both are appropriate.
TSTR
Next-Gen

by TSTR Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:05 am

demons to some
angels to others
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:07 am

TSTR wrote:demons to some
angels to others

e-Brohug
Lazer
64-bit

by Lazer Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:49 am

alienjesus wrote:
Lazer wrote:

Rather than thinking of them as 'Horror' think of them as 'Halloween'. We;re basically discussing the October slot here, any horror themed game will work, it doesn't have to be in the horror genre.

:lol: Yeah, I understand where you all are coming from. Let me remove my shackles and open my mind... done. Ah, that feels good!

So, Alone and Fatal Frame mutually annihilated each other in the poll. Is everyone leaning towards GnG then? Or are we still nominating/discussing? Either way is cool with me, but just in case: Eternal Darkness, Doom (1,2, or 3), Luigi's mansion, Zombies ate my neighbors.
Ack

by Ack Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:12 am

I wouldn't say mutual annihilation. They're both still possibilities. We just didn't cement anything.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:03 pm

I think we should prob make polls on the 3 issues I mentioned on the last page, but I'm not sure what the options should be... which fighting games... which Halloween games, etc. I included GnG because that just seems to be what got the most talk outside of AITD and FF for instance.
Return to Together Retro