Together Retro 2016 Calendar - FINAL

Join in on our classic gaming club!
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Re: Together Retro 2016 Nomination Thread OMG!

Post by fastbilly1 »

noiseredux wrote:I've never played any Warfcraft. What's II like, and why would you suggest it over the first or 3rd?

I'm not familiar with Star Control 2, but it does sound intriguing and the enthusiasm is infectious.

Two is considered by most to be the high point in the series. Warcraft 1 was rudimentary, has not aged well, and is difficult to get a hold of now. Warcraft 2 however is on battlenet, has an awesome story line, solid multiplayer, and is just a better game all around. Warcraft 3 is 2 but with more stuff and in 3d, but will lead to DOTA...

prfsnl_gmr wrote:I am not a PC gamer, but even I will concede that Star Control II is rad as sh*t.

You dont have to be a PC gamer, it dropped on the 3do.
Ack

Post by Ack »

I would definitely back you guys playing Loom and Call of Duty. I also like Warcraft: Orcs & Humans more than Warcraft II, but I am weird like that. But as for personal suggestions, how about these then?

Call of Cthulhu: Shadow of the Comet

I said it once, I'll say it again. This should be played during October.

Beyond Good & Evil

This is a wonderful game that combines action, adventure, platforming, stealth, and puzzles in a delightful world.

Sanitarium

Are you crazy or just terrified? What is this world coming to? Don't you want to uncover the darkest secrets of your sanity?

The Chaos Engine

Two player top-down run and gun action with multiple playable characters, an array of items, large maps, numerous secrets...what could go wrong?

Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss

Plunder a dungeon...in first person! This is a "dungeon simulation" and a landmark in 3D gaming, RPGs, first person games, and even FPS design.

Shadowgate

You must get to the Warlock Lord's castle and make it to his chamber, but just about everything can kill you. And will kill you.

Weaponlord

Because you don't know pain.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I'm interested in anything "Cthulhu," though I did consider mentioning Alone In The Dark and forgot...

Beyond Good & Evil is one that everyone always talks about, but I've never had an urge to try. I wouldn't object to giving it a go however.

Ultima Underworld, I feel like I wanna say "we already did an Ultima, so how about a Wizardry or some other RPG series instead?"
Ack

Post by Ack »

It's worth noting that Ultima Underworld is a very, very different take on RPGs from Ultima. They're related, sure, but they are vastly different. Ultima Underworld has a lot more in common with games like The Elder Scrolls in many ways.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Ack wrote:It's worth noting that Ultima Underworld is a very, very different take on RPGs from Ultima. They're related, sure, but they are vastly different. Ultima Underworld has a lot more in common with games like The Elder Scrolls in many ways.

yooo, what about an Elder Scrolls game?
Ack

Post by Ack »

Hey man, your thread. If you want to throw one into the pile, go for it.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Ack wrote:Hey man, your thread. If you want to throw one into the pile, go for it.

not my thread, homey. Our thread.

Ugh I don't know anything about the ES series, so I wouldn't know which to nominate. I have some of them unplayed though.

Ironically though I just received a gift copy of Ultima Underworld as I typed this response...
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

fastbilly1 wrote:
noiseredux wrote:I've never played any Warfcraft. What's II like, and why would you suggest it over the first or 3rd?

I'm not familiar with Star Control 2, but it does sound intriguing and the enthusiasm is infectious.

Two is considered by most to be the high point in the series. Warcraft 1 was rudimentary, has not aged well, and is difficult to get a hold of now. Warcraft 2 however is on battlenet, has an awesome story line, solid multiplayer, and is just a better game all around. Warcraft 3 is 2 but with more stuff and in 3d, but will lead to DOTA...

To go deeper into this answer, Warcraft 1 has a clunky interface and some poor design decisions; specifically the needing to build roads to make other buildings and the 4 unit selection limitation. Warcraft 2 has two distinct versions and your experience will vary depending on which one you go with. The original DOS version isn't much better control-wise than Warcraft 1; you can select up to 9 units but there are no hotkeyed groups like C&C and no attack move like games starting with StarCraft, putting it in the worst of both worlds for controlling. By contrast, the Battle.net edition was released on Windows after Diablo 1 and does have group hotkeys and attack move. The DOS version is therefore much harder to play than the Battle.net edition.

Warcraft 3 has a larger focus micromanagement than StarCraft; your unit cap is 90 food with most basic melee units taking 2 food and you are emphasized to use one or more Hero units which level up and have special abilities. Whereas in StarCraft you would have 2-4 groups of units to attack the enemy in Warcraft 3 you'll probably only have a single group (unless you're going for an early Ghoul wave).
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

fastbilly1 wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:I am not a PC gamer, but even I will concede that Star Control II is rad as sh*t.

You dont have to be a PC gamer, it dropped on the 3do.

So...you do kind of have to be a PC gamer for that one... :lol:

Seriously, I have played my fair share of Star Control II on the PC. It is a great game, and if we choose it, I would just have to figure out how to ge my copy of the game running on my laptop. (Or, alternately, get the game running in DSx86 so that I can play it on my Nintendo DS Lite...)
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

Post by TEKTORO »

I'm going kinda obvious if not generic picks, but really fun stuffs.

Doom, Call of Duty Classic, Medal of Honor, Unreal Tournament. All classic solid shooters of various flavors.

Metal Slug was a good mention and is easily obtainable on many platforms.

Pitfall almost is criminal it hasn't been on TR line up yet.

Madden sounds fun for a change of pace and goes far back enough to have some classic games.

Alone in the Dark, we did Silent Hill and Resident Evil before so why not the originator that some how gets not enough credit in the genre. If not then I would consider Onimusha especially the first one which is basically Resident Evil with Samurai.

Tomb Raider is pretty immersive game for its time and still fun today, Id vote this.

Oddworld Abe's Odyssey for sure would be a strong month for community activity, helping each other with the puzzles and sharing strategies, quoting funny stuff from the game would not get old. This baby holds up really well, and has been heard of to some degree but has anyone really gave it the attention it deserves?

Castlevania Symphony of the Night, would be a go to since we haven't yet. It's like one of the best games of all time so whether you played it or not wouldn't matter, it's timeless.

Shinobi or Ninja Gaiden or both!

Off shoots but fun and why the hell nots.
Little Nemo
Guilty Gear
Road Rash
Need for Speed
GEX
Wipeout
Strategy RPG of some sort
Final Fantasy or Tales RPG
Edit: I'm down for an Elder Scrolls Game pref Morrowind.

Ghost N Goblins I can see pissing people off, but I play all year round anyways.

Star Control 2 is great but I can see it not being catchy with enough people so it's hit or miss? (Their lost, lol)
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.