Jun - Call Of Duty & Medal Of Honor
Jul - Daytona USA
Aug - Metal Slug
Sep - Street Fighter III
Oct - Ghosts N Golbins & Alone In The Dark
Nov - Solomon's Key
Dec - Star Control II

OG Post:
yes, folks. The time is here. This is the thread to nominate games for next year's Together Retro. A few things to keep in mind:

-No repeat TR games (and preferably no repeated TR series). A list of all past TR games is spoiled in this post.

-Turnout tends to work better if we use games with multiple ports.

-Please don't just list games. Give us reasons why your picks are good for TR.

-If someone posts a game you agree with, please say so. If someone posts a game you disagree with, please say so. But for the love of Samus, please be civil!

ALL PAST TR GAMES:
2008:
Mar - Defender
Apr - Ristar
Apr - Kid Icarus
May - Samurai Shodown
May - Lunar: Silver Star
Jun - Marble Madness
Jul - Toe Jam & Earl
Jul - RC Pro Am
Jul - Diablo II
Aug - Xenogears
Aug - Solar Jetman
Sep - Jet Grind Radio
Sep - Dig Dug
Oct -
Nov - Castlevania
Dec - NiGHTS Into Dreams
Dec - Christmas NiGHTS

2009:
Jan - The Secret of Monkey Island
Feb - Galaga
Mar -
Apr - House of the Dead
Apr - Virtua Cop
Apr - Ghost Squad
Apr - Confidential Mission
May - Snatcher
Jun - Punch-Out!!
Jul - Baku Baku
Aug - Captain Commando
Sep - Crazy Taxi
Oct - Resident Evil
Nov - Wizard of Wor
Nov - Smash TV
Dec - Broken Sword

2010:
Jan - Battletoads
Feb - Contra
Mar - Phantasy Star
Apr - Qwak
May - X-COM: UFO Defense
Jun - Outrun
Jul - Ecco the Dolphin
Aug - NBA Jam
Sep - Urban Strike
Oct - King of Monsters
Oct - Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee
Nov - Wonder Boy
Nov - Adventure Island
Dec - Tempest

2011:
Jan - Riviera: The Promised Land
Feb - King of Fighters 98
Mar - Star Wars: Dark Forces
Apr - Deja Vu
May - Zoop
Jun - Gradius III
Jun - Parodius
Jul - Rayman
Aug - Populous
Sep - World Series Baseball 95
Oct - Splatterhouse
Nov - Shining Force
Dec - Super Monkey Ball

2012:
Jan - Golden Axe Warrior
Feb - Soul Calibur
Mar - Ys
April - Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
May - Wolfenstein 3D
June - Command & Conquer
July - Guardian Heroes
July - Gunstar Heroes
August -Bomberman 94
Sept - Super Mario Brothers 2
Sept - Doki Doki Panic
October - Maniac Mansion
October - Crush series
November - Panel de Pon
December - DoDonPachi

2013:
Jan - Baldur's Gate
Feb - Bubble Bobble
Mar - Wing Commander
Apr - Half-Life
May - Fantastic Dizzy
Jun - Fatal Fury Special
Jul - Road Rash
Aug - TMNT Turtles In Time
Sep - Zork
Oct - Zombies Ate My Neighbors
Oct - Silent Hill 2
Nov - Parappa The Rapper
Dec - Lemmings

2014:
Jan - Phantasy Star Online
Feb - Metal Gear
Mar - M.U.L.E.
Apr - Shock Troopers
May - The Lost Vikings
Jun - Psychonauts
Jul - Ikaruga
Aug - Dungeons and Dragons ToD and SoM
Sep - F-Zero Series
Oct - I Have No Mouth
Oct - Typing of the Dead
Nov - Ultima IV
Dec - Space Harrier

2015:
Jan - Grandia
Feb - River City Ransom
Mar - Quake
Apr - Sonic & Knuckles
May - Super Puzzle Fighter II
Jun - Mega Man X
Jul - Mortal Kombat Trilogy
Aug - Pinball Arcade
Sep - Mario Golf
Oct - D
Nov - Grim Fandango
Dec - Raiden
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro 2016 Nomination Thread OMG!

Post by noiseredux »

Here are my own nominations to kick things off...

Call Of Duty
I know this will be an unpopular pick. But the original game not only started a hugely popular franchise with sequels appearing annually to this day, but also inspired many other realistic FPS games since. As such, it feels like it's worth exploring how this started. And honestly, the first game is really really good.

007 Goldeneye
On the flip, this will probably be one that many of you like... though I'm not really sure why. I personally never saw the appeal of this one. I played a bit with my N64-owning buddy back in the day. Never really grabbed me. But it's definitely a fan favorite. I'm not really a fan of James Bond to begin with. So there's that. But hey, maybe being forced to play it will change my mind. It was re-released on Wii and I think there's a fanmade PC version?

Pitfall
For a retro forum we have given the 2600 very little TR love. For shame. Why not start with a game that is mind-blowingly ambitious for such a small cartridge? This game was huge! With scrolling (but vertically and horizontally) levels. And the platforming is tight and challenging. There are ports of this on like every post-PS1 system.

John Madden Football
Another one you guys will hate/ignore. But the Madden series is hugely important for the strides it made towards realistic AI in video games, and it has a fascinating history which I'd love to share via videos, articles and discussion one month. The game can be as retro as you like (pick from old computers or Genesis or SNES or...) or as modern as you like (maybe play some online games with forum members?). Plus unlike other sports, Football is only 16 games per season. You could easily knock out a full season, playoffs and Superbowl in less than a month.

Diablo
I've just never played this. It's definitely influential. Click on stuff in dengeons; kill; collect loot; repeat. Sort of a post-Rogue Roguelike? It's on some consoles, too.

Tomb Raider
This and Mario 64 defined 3D platformers. This is on a bunch of non-Nintendo platforms too. We can all raid tombs and maybe watch the movies together that month? Haha.
Ack

Post by Ack »

For October, I'd like to see Call of Cthulhu: Shadow of the Comet, possibly followed by Call of Cthulhu: Prisoner of Ice.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Are we going back to voting this year, or are we going to go with writers making decisions like last year?

I'll post some ideas shortly.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I think we're trying to do that thing we used to do where we'd brainstorm here and see if any clear 'winners' started to reveal themselves without us trying to kill each other. We'll see how that goes?
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I'm going to nominate The Bards Tale trilogy (pick your favorite in it and go). This series was one of the codifiers of the first person dungeon crawling RPG and also included some unique elements like the titular Bard class having a lot of useful effects. Plus, it's on my backlog. Available on GOG and Steam and free downloads available at http://bardstaleonline.com/ . Additionally, Old Skuul got commissioned to do remasters of the trilogy and it looks like that might hit before the end of the year.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Ack

Post by Ack »

MrPopo wrote:I'm going to nominate The Bards Tale trilogy (pick your favorite in it and go). This series was one of the codifiers of the first person dungeon crawling RPG and also included some unique elements like the titular Bard class having a lot of useful effects. Plus, it's on my backlog. Available on GOG and Steam and free downloads available at http://bardstaleonline.com/ . Additionally, Old Skuul got commissioned to do remasters of the trilogy and it looks like that might hit before the end of the year.

It should be noted that the versions available on GOG and Steam are part of The Bard's Tale reboot that launched in the mid-2000s.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Some ideas:

Adventure/Action Adventure:
Oddworld: Abes Odyssey:

This one has come up a few times and narrowly missed out each time. It's available on PS1, PSN and PC, and an enhanced remake has been released for Wii U, PS3, PS4, Vita and XBox One. It's basically a puzzle game really, although it has it's action and platforming elements.

Loom:

This is one of the least talked about point n' click games by LucasArts, but it's world and tone is very different to most by the developer. It's easily available as it's on GOG and Steam as well as PC and Turbografx CD.

Shmups:
R-Type

We've had Gradius before, but here's the other big Shmup of the 80s. It has a unique mechanic with the force that can be used as a shield or a weapon, and it's widely available - it's on MAME, Master System, Turbografx (HuCard and CD), Virtual Console and XBLA, as well as smartphones.

Gate of Thunder & Lords of Thunder

This one might be tricky to work, as the original discs for Turbo CD or Mega CD are pricy, but it is affordable on Wii VC on Wii or Wii U, and is also available for PS3 on PSN for cheap.

Platformers:
Bonk's Adventure

In 2012 we played Mario, and in 2015 we played Sonic. It seems fitting that we should give the Turbo mascot a go after the other two have had their time in the limelight. The game is available on Turbografx/PC-Engine, Wii Virtual Console and PSN (not sure if this is all regions though) aswell as having reworked ports to NES and Game Boy, so it's fairly widely spread too.

The Illusion series

I've recently finished up playing a bunch of these on the Game Gear, and they were so damn good that I think we should all have a go. The Illusion series are some of the finest licensed games of the 90s, and are available on many SEGA systems. The games include Castle of Illusion and World of Illusion for Genesis, Castle of Illusion, Land of Illusion and Legend of Illusion for Master System and Game Gear and Castle of Illusion for XBLA and PSN. They're all fantastic but short, so maybe we should just play all of them?

RPGs:
Pokémon Red, Blue and Yellow

The thread recently about this game had me thinking - there are plenty of people out there who have never given Pokémon a go, especially amongst our slightly older age demographic here - they were 'too old' or 'too cool' to play it back in the day. There are also a bunch of us who adore the series. Why not look back at where it all started. There's a ton of stuff to discuss, it's not too long for an RPG, it's a massive series we've never looked at in Together Retro and it's available on any system compatible with Game Boy (for the original Red, Blue or Yellow) or Game Boy Advance (for the remakes, FireRed and LeafGreen) compatability.

Other:
Blast Corps

When Rare Replay came out recently, it seemed like all the reviews at the time simultaneously remembered they lvoe this game. Many claimed it was the best aging N64 game on the collection. It's also pretty unique in it's gameplay, and affordable on both N64 and XBox One. Lets give it a shot!

Game & Watch Gallery (series)

Rather than limit ourselves to one repetitive 2nd gen game for a whole month (urgh) I figure it'd be cooler to take a look at a whole bunch of 2 gen era games with the option for a slightly more modern graphical appearance too. The power of Mario means we'll liekly draw more players in than a strictly 2nd gen game would too. Games are available on all systems compatible with Game Boy and Game Boy Advance, as well as 3DS. Ports of basic Game & Watch titles are also widely available on Game Boy, DS, DSiWare and more. And of course, you can just play some actual Game & Watch systems if you have them!
Last edited by alienjesus on Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

we did play Crazy Taxi already, yeah.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

noiseredux wrote:we did play Crazy Taxi already, yeah.

Noted. I'll delete that one!