Together Retro: Super Puzzle Fighter

Join in on our classic gaming club!
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Super Puzzle Fighter

Post by ExedExes »

I played it for a few months (PC) back on Gametap.

There was just a LOT to do as I recall. There were also branching decision paths and I felt as cheesy as it might have been, there was a real sense of an RPG and a match-3 at the same time.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

ExedExes wrote:I played it for a few months (PC) back on Gametap.

There was just a LOT to do as I recall. There were also branching decision paths and I felt as cheesy as it might have been, there was a real sense of an RPG and a match-3 at the same time.

The PC version and the DS version are two VERY different games outside of the actual combat. On the PC version there are dungeons and exploration, but fixed enemies and sidequests that are very linear.

With the DS game, you wander an overworld map, taking over villages and using them to make money, enemies you can capture and use as mounts and others that you can study and learn moves from them, as well as the major plot that does have decisions you canmake throughout the game that will inevitably come back to haunt you or help you. I felt like the DS version was far more superior in terms of gameplay. It didn't feel nearly as sluggish and was more suitable for that portable play style.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

Okay I actually played this! I bought the HD Remix when I found out it was on sale earlier this month.
And I beat Arcade mode on Normal on (as Ryu) my first try and only had to continue once against Akuma. I'm a little surprised by how easy the game is! I like the cute character designs and I'm glad it has a mix of Darkstalkers and Street Fighter.

That said, like others, I'm not totally wild about the mechanics. I think this would be a lot more fun on a Saturn, preferably with a friend. But the HD Remix doesn't look so great; I would prefer pixels. And this isn't a stand-out puzzle game. I like puzzle games and Capcom fighters, so I guess it's fun enough to kill some time. But not too much time.

I wish the Saturn version wasn't so expensive! I know the US version has always been one of the more sought-after games but I'm surprised the Japanese version has crept up in price!
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:
ExedExes wrote:I played it for a few months (PC) back on Gametap.

The PC version and the DS version are two VERY different games outside of the actual combat. On the PC version there are dungeons and exploration, but fixed enemies and sidequests that are very linear.

With the DS game, you wander an overworld map, taking over villages and using them to make money, enemies you can capture and use as mounts and others that you can study and learn moves from them, as well as the major plot that does have decisions you canmake throughout the game that will inevitably come back to haunt you or help you. I felt like the DS version was far more superior in terms of gameplay. It didn't feel nearly as sluggish and was more suitable for that portable play style.

I played Puzzle Quest on the DS and had some fun. Some of the spells/abilities are really conductive to large combos. It is interesting that it is turn based and you share the same screen with the opponent.

On the other hand at a certain mid to end game it gets a bit repetitive particularly if you go do side quests, wandering over the map and getting intercepted by lower level enemies that you already defeated several times. They should probably have put in a mechanism for optionally skipping the non-quest related encounters if the opponent is much lower level or after you had captured one of those.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

So I beat it over the weekend (GBA port) on my new DS Lite. I used Devilot, only because her counter gem pattern is fiendishly effective. Credit fed a bit to do it, but it was a good time.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Post by CD AGES »

Versions that I own for this game and from what I can remember off the top of my head...

- PS1: version I played alot especially early on. Good port! Not to happy that this version isn't compatible with PS2 hardware tho :(

- Saturn: A good friend of mine recently gave me this version as a gift. Interesting port. Has an exclusive Capcom intro screen that I've never seen before. Loadtimes feel longer than any other version and there is some tiny framerate dips and slowdown during large gem crashes on-screen!?

- Dreamcast: Japan exclusive and part of the "Matching Service" catalog of Capcom DC titles that offered online matchmaking. This is perhaps the most content filled version with tons of game play extras and features. It even has an unlockable arcade dipswitch feature allowing you to convert the game to its US CPS2 english release.

- GBA: This is perhaps my most favorite port and the version I've played the most! It my fav mostly because of the impressive job Atomic Planet did in fitting most of the game given the hardware limitations. Cool little extras in this version including a multiplayer mode that can be simultaneously played on one handheld unit... a bit clumsy but works surprisingly well!

- XB360: The only port of HD Remix to be released on physical media via CDC disc. This version uses the DC version as a base and is heavily altered in both visuals and gameplay courtesy of Backbone Ent. and David Sirlin. Visual changes including redrawn character portraits and backgrounds by Udon, Ken's background was completely redone, gems are now represented by a particular element in accordance to their color. The character sprites are simply going thru a filter.
I agree with most here in that I'm not to fond of this version visually -_-
Gameplay changes made to the default game include modified drop patterns for some of the cast for better balance and Diamond crashes doing 80% as oppose to 50% effectively removing the Diamond Crash Glitch which is used in high level play. You can play the game with classic unaltered gameplay changes if preferred.
Sorry for the wall of text. Just a fan of the game -_-
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Post by CD AGES »

And yes! Owning a CPS2 board of this would be wonderful!
I'm sure I'll get the PSP version. . . eventually -_-
Attachments
10013201.png
10013201.png (56.16 KiB) Viewed 4882 times
10021601.png
10021601.png (35.7 KiB) Viewed 4882 times
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

alright, so for no real reason other than "becuz" I decided to buy a copy of the PC port of Puzzle Fighter. I figured, I'd played it on PS1, PSP, Saturn, GBA, Dreamcast, PSN and XBLA... so why the heck not? In researching I noticed that the back cover of the game said "1 Player," which I figured was lame. But eh, I'll check it out.

But there's good news... the Windows 95 version installs easily by running in compatability mode. It looks great actually. It recognized my 360 pad no problem (the manual states it was meant for the Sidewinder by default... which I own but that sounds weird to play this game with). Although it wasn't listed on the back of the box, this actually has all the extras from the PS1/Sat ports, including Street Puzzle Mode. And it indeed has a 2player versus mode. So yeah... I'm pleased I picked it up.