Together Retro: Sonic & Knuckles

Join in on our classic gaming club!
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Sonic & Knuckles

Post by GSZX1337 »

Xeogred wrote:Sounds like you nitpicked some random stuff.
I know I pulled some choice snippets from a couple posts, but I don't think I was nitpicking. :(

If you read more of the thread you'd see I love S&K's music, Ice Cap zone, etc.

I read the earlier page and see where you mentioned you like Ice Cap Zone's music. I didn't start reading the thread until ~12-15 pages in.

It's Sonic 3 specifically I was ragging on, but you mention Ice Cap... and I specifically mentioned that's the one I love a few times. :P

Keep in mind that part wasn't towards you specifically as there were others that said the music in S3&K sucked. You only ragged on Sonic 3's music, but Luke mentioned Sonic & Knuckles's soundtrack. I was trying to make a statement that would apply to you, Luke, and whoever else didn't like the music from the two games. I understand that not every part will apply to everyone I'm responding to, and I'm not trying to skew what you said. Sorry if I came across that way.
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

No worries, I wasn't upset or anything. Just had to defend my love for Ice Cap and Hydrocity rocks haha.

Others in this thread seem to kind of agree, but I guess I'm of the camp that weirdly loves S&K to death, but Sonic 3 not so much.
dogman91
128-bit

Post by dogman91 »

Okay, there IS one Zone's music in Sonic 3 that truly sucks (Marble Garden, Angel Island and Launch Base all have great music!)...... Carnival Night Zone. Sorry Michael Jackson (and his writers); that is the worst pile-of-shit music I ever heard in a game.

I vastly prefer the version on the S3&K PC collection:
Act 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WR8bFSAEV0Q
Act 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zl4lfO0PY-U
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

GSZX1337 wrote:.
ZeroAX wrote:I started a full playthough of the game, but my Mega Drive froze in the marble garden zone (gee, even my console can't stand the worst zone in classic sonic history).

-Hydrocity Zone: The water level in Sonic, or further proof why S&K is the superior Sonic game just for NOT having a single drop of water in the entire game

What's wrong with Marble Garden Zone or having water in a Sonic game? :?

I will admit that I always hated those goddamned spinny platforms in the former.

I just don't enjoy either Hydrocity or Labyrinth zone. I just found the sections in the water to not be fun. I kept getting hit by enemies I couldn't see in time so I couldn't react.

And I just don't like either zone's music :(.

Aquatic Ruin Zone on the other hand hit it out of the park in my book when it comes to Sonic water elvels.

and Marbel Garden??? gOoOod. I'm sorry man, I just hate it xD. I just don't enjoy the huge focus on verticality, and the spinning top things are just utter bullshit, and I believe they are the sole reason I hate this zone so much.

Xeogred wrote:Others in this thread seem to kind of agree, but I guess I'm of the camp that weirdly loves S&K to death, but Sonic 3 not so much.

Where I come from, we call that having amazingly great taste 8)
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
kikenovic
8-bit

Post by kikenovic »

Just finished it last night (S&K alone) playing as Knuckles. The Mecha Sonic battle even back then didn't feel climatic, but for a different reason, like many at the time I thought the Death Egg was next, I just couldn't believe the game was over already.

The sense of accomplishment comes from collecting the 7 emeralds and getting the good ending.
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

So I take it that after finishing just S&K with Sonic, I shouldn't waste time playing through it again with Knuckles and should just play Sonic 3 & Knuckles as Knuckles directly, right?
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

Ivo wrote:So I take it that after finishing just S&K with Sonic, I shouldn't waste time playing through it again with Knuckles and should just play Sonic 3 & Knuckles as Knuckles directly, right?

I would play S3&K directly regardless of character, if you had planned to play the Sonic 3 stages too.
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

So I started a full playthrough last night, but I quit at Lava Reef Zone act 2.

Turns out the 2 games combined are really long, I was already at the 3 hour mark, and would have need probably another 30-45 mark and it was getting late.

damn....now I feel like replaying the fucker tonight and beating it xD.

Should I try a Tails run to make it different? I think I've only beaten the game as Tails once on an emulator like 15 years ago.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

Gah, I still hate the blue sphere minigame. Nice music though.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Sload Soap wrote:Gah, I still hate the blue sphere minigame. Nice music though.

Still better than Sonic 2's special stage. Although the Sega Saturn's rendition of that special stage in Sonic 3D Blast is really good... AND had a 3D sonic, knuckles and tails... which made me freak out as a kid.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.