Together Retro: River City Ransom

Join in on our classic gaming club!
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: River City Ransom

Post by ExedExes »

KalessinDB wrote:Colorless Blending Marker. From an art supply store. Basically, they're meant to blend together two different markers, so they have an emulsifier that effectively liquefies the dried marker, then you can blot it up with a paper towel. I was turned onto it by someone (wiggy I think?) over at The Cover Project and it works great. The majority of my games, the marker completely disappears. One or two there was still a faint outline, so some of the other options could work too, but I like it because it's completely non-abrasive and has no chance of damaging the cart.

Plus the markers themselves are about 4 dollars and last for a while.

Cool, I like seeing more options. I'm not giving this game away but out of all my GBA games this is the one that "stands out" because of that writing, and it looks funny in the Game Boy Player.

I forgot to mention if you pick Alex on EX, he starts with the Dragon Feet ability! I believe all characters that are selectable (and eventually unlocked) start with one different ability each.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
nullPointer
128-bit

Post by nullPointer »

Well I finally got to a point in AC: Brotherhood where I feel like I can call it 'done' and walk away, so at long last I got around to booting up River City Ransom EX last night.

First impression is that, wow ... the GBA version pretty much allows you to completely customize gameplay via configuration changes. On the one hand that's kinda cool, and it probably allows you to mix it up a bit in terms of replays, but yikes, it's also a bit much to put right up front before you even start the game. I'd just as soon they hid a lot of those settings away until you reached a New Game+ mode or something.

I feel like I need to fire up the NES version as a point of comparison here. The controls in the GBA version slightly bit stiffer than I remember, but it's equally likely that my memory is just playing tricks on me. It's also possible that gameplay becomes more fluid once I start leveling up my stats in a significant way.

Aside from those minor observations, this game is still just as fun as it ever was. Even among the other Kunio-Kun games I've played (which are admittedly few in number), it seems to me that this one has a very unique and fun vibe to it. I think a big part of that is due to the humorous (and excellent) work by the English localization team.

One thing that's still baffling me, is that I was looking forward to recruiting allies from enemy gangs being as that's one of the huge differentiating factors between this and the NES version. Thus far though, I've been unsuccessful in my efforts and that's even after resorting to GameFAQS. I haven't even seen the opportunity for recruitment. Any one have some tips for easy to find recruitable allies?
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

Completed EX. With the money I made I was able to get Grand Slam, Texas Boots, and another exclusive Kick style move that is only in this game. Didn't make Tex any easier at River City HS -- in EX he pairs up with Ivan the gatekeeper so now you have to fight 2 of them! Almost died here!

As for recruitment, certain conditions have to be met to actually run into people to partner up with, I was able to get "Gary" at Sherman Park before the fight with Blade, and he came in handy with his high Punch contrasting off my high Kick. Now those requirements, totally unsure of for now.
nullPointer
128-bit

Post by nullPointer »

I've been taking this one nice and slow and stat building like a mutha. I think I'm pretty close to having every stat at max levels, but ... I've not invested in any special moves yet. TBH, the two times I beat this game on the NES I think it was basically the same story. The moves are interesting, but none of them really seem to make a difference in terms of success or failure. Does anyone have any recommendations for particularly killer special moves to consider?
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

nullPointer wrote:I've been taking this one nice and slow and stat building like a mutha. I think I'm pretty close to having every stat at max levels, but ... I've not invested in any special moves yet. TBH, the two times I beat this game on the NES I think it was basically the same story. The moves are interesting, but none of them really seem to make a difference in terms of success or failure. Does anyone have any recommendations for particularly killer special moves to consider?

I liked Dragon Feet and Grand Slam for particularly damaging offensive moves. Javelin Man is also good for throwing downed enemies (even more on the EX version!), and Acro Circus can get you out of a few jams as well as even inflict a bit of damage. I'm talking the NES abilities here, there's many more available on EX.
nullPointer
128-bit

Post by nullPointer »

I completed this game yesterday, and it's just as enjoyable as it ever was. That means I just put the first notch in my Together Retro belt! :D I recorded some thoughts over in the Games Beaten thread.

viewtopic.php?p=961223#p961223
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

holy shiz... Arc System Works (known for their gorgeous hand-drawn art) has now acquired the Double Dragon/Kunio-kun licenses. :shock:
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

noiseredux wrote:holy shiz... Arc System Works (known for their gorgeous hand-drawn art) has now acquired the Double Dragon/Kunio-kun licenses. :shock:

Wow. This has potential.