Together Retro: The Lost Vikings

Join in on our classic gaming club!
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: The Lost Vikings

Post by ExedExes »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I've never seem that dialogue because I rule at this game.

Just kiddin'.

Some of the later stages are brutal - especially those with the insta-death lasers.

Hey now, this is a game I originally passed over. I just happened to forget Olaf's glide on Prehistoria stage 2 to get past those fire platforms, once I got that figured out, I had to see how to beat those rolling cavemen, and then get Erik to jump right instead of falling in the water. So yeah, that one stage was a trip and therefore, the "this place looks familiar" conversation :lol:
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
darsparx
Next-Gen

Post by darsparx »

Um...yeah just gave this game a go through parallels on my computer(thanks to the blizzard free download of it). It's fun, but I really need to get a console version....now. This game just feels odd on a computer to me and I just can't seem to bring myself to play it no matter how fun it is...
My gameroom
My systems: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, original gba, gba sp(001), ds lite, 3ds, vita, psp, PSone(101 model) ps2, ps3(320gb model), ps4, retron 5, and Dreamcast.

bogusmeatfactory wrote:Ever feel like a wild gazelle in the wilderness?
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Do not even attempt to play with the keyboard if you're playing on a PC. If you have a PC game controller, reconfigure the controls.

(but yeah I imagine a console version is ultimately better if you can get your hands on one)
darsparx
Next-Gen

Post by darsparx »

Well that's why I'm half tempted to grab the genesis version(seems to be the cheapest one), and hope the local pawn still has that genesis I spotted a few weeks back(knowing my luck it's probably gone but ti's still worth a try next week).
My gameroom
My systems: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, original gba, gba sp(001), ds lite, 3ds, vita, psp, PSone(101 model) ps2, ps3(320gb model), ps4, retron 5, and Dreamcast.

BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

One caveat about the Genesis port: It's much better with a 6-button controller.
darsparx
Next-Gen

Post by darsparx »

Yeah I saw you mention that earlier. I think I'll make due with the default controller and everything if that thing is still there when I go back...(especially since it was complete for $25 just missing the sonic but a minor thing and probably won't take long to find). I'll get a better controller(most likely a wireless just like i want to do for all my other consoles) and redo the play through.
My gameroom

isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

I'm into the Egypt levels, playing the Genesis version (since Hardcoregaming's writeup claimed it to be the best). The twitchiness of some of the platforming has been annoying (bubbles D:< ) and that kind of thing, but it's been fun otherwise.

PC version seems like it'd be fine if you map a controller to keyboard controls since ye olde DOS joystick driver limitations wouldn't really apply.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:One caveat about the Genesis port: It's much better with a 6-button controller.

Like most games that support it. Sega REALLY should have started making it standard by the time of the Genesis 2 but they were much happier forcing people to buy them I guess.

It was just me and my keyboard back in the day on DOS. It's all I had. :cry:

I don't think I ever beat it that way but I still had fun.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

isiolia wrote:I'm into the Egypt levels, playing the Genesis version (since Hardcoregaming's writeup claimed it to be the best). The twitchiness of some of the platforming has been annoying (bubbles D:< ) and that kind of thing, but it's been fun otherwise.

PC version seems like it'd be fine if you map a controller to keyboard controls since ye olde DOS joystick driver limitations wouldn't really apply.

Best thing about the Genesis port is the extra levels. That said, the other versions aren't exactly lacking levels (they still have 37 while the Genesis has 42).

I'd the say the SNES original is the best given how seamless the controls are. On the Genesis using X and Z to switch vikings and Y to use an item felt a bit awkward. On SNES you use L/R to swap vikings, nice and easy. I found that the SNES soundtrack sounded much better too, it's a bit thinner and tinny and the Genesis.

It's such a good game though, so you can't go wrong with any port. I'll probably play it on GBA someday, surprised I don't own that version already. :lol:
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

I haven't found the control to be too awkward, but I haven't really played any other version enough to get used to a different layout.

Odd thing is that the Hardcoregaming101 writeup praises the Genesis music over other versions. Seemed like it's trying to be hip, or something, versus the PC music. Like they felt the Genesis needed more 'tude.