Together Retro: The Lost Vikings

Join in on our classic gaming club!
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: The Lost Vikings

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Yeah that's a tough one.

The last Wacky level is harder though, in my opinion. You have to quickly switch between all three vikings in the final stretch.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Yeah that's a tough one.

The last Wacky level is harder though, in my opinion. You have to quickly switch between all three vikings in the final stretch.

Yes, but even so, the platform moves slow enough. I almost blew it because I forgot to switch to Erik's yellow key. I was burning through the other items he had (including food) and then I finally hit the key. Then, I got Erik and Baleog off the platform but Olaf didn't quite make it in time and that platform is SLOWLY making its way back up. I got to the spikes on the left and said "eh, it's Olaf", so I had him glide over those spikes again and just had him descend slowly back down to the portal.

It took me a few hours this afternoon to do all 7 of those levels, and my biggest issue were those damn bubbles again on Level 31. Erik would skid off them and I'd miss the easy transfers with the other 2 at times, then I had to get the first spring platform jumps right because the electric field was still on (with Erik who then turned it off), then I had to figure out those moving platforms, and of course the spikes at the end (which really, didn't give me a whole lot of trouble, figuring out when to let the air out of the vikings in nearly every other part of that level), but to see the 50th and 51st retry messages, I had a feeling that was gonna happen. :lol: Constant failures. The last 2 levels were a heck of a lot more manageable.

Wacky world is now clear. BACK TO THE SPACESHIP!
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

Completed!

My next near 60-retry moment was the very last level of the game. Think it was going to be a simple boss battle? Absolutely not.

True to TLV fashion, it's *4* boss battles in 1. Ok, 5. Each Viking has to make the boss move to another part of the level, then they all must find a way to eject him from the ship. All that, and the level itself is most demanding of your skills from all the previous levels too.

I'm glad I finally got to play it, as frustrating as it was sometimes.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

^ Nice work!

That final stage is a lot of fun. I had a harder time on the Genesis though. It might all just be in my head (or due to the Genesis controls, which I wasn't too fond of) but it felt like I had a much smaller window of time to bash the final boss with Erik once Baleog made his shield disappear. About three times in a row I had Erik run right into his shield, which is of course an instant death.

The stage with the false exits that precedes the final level was much more annoying though.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:The stage with the false exits that precedes the final level was much more annoying though.

I didn't have a lot of trouble with that previous level. Just trying to learn everything, but having to do it all AGAIN after messing up. I think a lot of it was due to not having dedicated buttons for using items and activating switches/buttons. On the GBA you needed to press R+A and R+B for those 2 functions. Not good when you're jumping or falling and need to do that, really.
IKE/TT

Post by IKE/TT »

Great game! Combines the platfom elements and puzzle-solving perfectly! Lots of fun stages and worlds. The challenge is good throughout the game, though some stages are a bit frustrating. I like the sequel too: It has the same basic elements from the first game and still manages to bring in new aspects.