Show your reviewing skills by collaborating with other forums members to review games of all ages.
marurun

Re: Pretentious Hipster's Video Game Reviews

by marurun Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:28 am

PretentiousHipster wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:These videos are great, PH. Keep up the good work!

Thank you so much. Showed them to a few coworkers (the Vampire Diaries video) and was told that there's nothing really wrong with them and they seem super professional. They seemed shocked that I have such a small amount of subs.

Where are you hyping your work other than here? That audience has to come from somewhere, not just YouTube's unfathomable algorithms.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:53 am

marurun wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:These videos are great, PH. Keep up the good work!

Thank you so much. Showed them to a few coworkers (the Vampire Diaries video) and was told that there's nothing really wrong with them and they seem super professional. They seemed shocked that I have such a small amount of subs.

Where are you hyping your work other than here? That audience has to come from somewhere, not just YouTube's unfathomable algorithms.

A few subreddit discords, but I find that promoting like that isn't the best. Even if you are a well known user there you will only get like 3-4 views.

It's funny because admittedly I joined here and a discord for self-promotion, but ended up finding a great community where doing that is secondhand.

Promoting one's work on places like reddit seems disingenuous to the point that a lot of them ban that act, calling it "self advertising". I think it's because there are an abundance of users that keep trying to use that avenue.

So to put it shortly, I am at a loss and am not sure about the proper avenues for it. I have tried putting in like $10 advertising for a few videos but you just get a few hundred people watching it for like 10 seconds and a few dislikes, the former really hurting the algorithm's system.

I know of around two users that got a huge promotion from the algorithm and now have it as a full time job. They are members from a small youtubers discord, so there is a chance, albeit super small.

The zelda video I plan on doing might do well simply because of its sheer length which will make it a meme, and I do plan on doing a collaboration with a youtuber that has 2k subs, so those might help. I honestly think if I have a chance to get promoted from an algorithm it'll be for this Christian game since I can see it being a super infamous game. I guess we'll find out when I make it public next week.

I am given lots of advice on how to make my videos "better", but I find that a) they mostly have advice for having a younger audience, when 40% of my audience are 35-44, and b) the videos that teach you this stuff have the same format to the point that you can predict its format before watching it.
marurun

by marurun Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:19 pm

marurun wrote:Where are you hyping your work other than here? That audience has to come from somewhere, not just YouTube's unfathomable algorithms.

So to put it shortly, I am at a loss and am not sure about the proper avenues for it. I have tried putting in like $10 advertising for a few videos but you just get a few hundred people watching it for like 10 seconds and a few dislikes, the former really hurting the algorithm's system.

Well, you clearly know more about this than I do, so I'll stop asking stupid questions.

PretentiousHipster wrote:It's funny because admittedly I joined here and a discord for self-promotion, but ended up finding a great community where doing that is secondhand.

Despite the forums being slower these days, I agree that we have a very good community here. And RB definitely has a legacy that's worth something.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:43 pm

Quite a bit happened the past while. The first one I wrote the script in the middle of a psychotic episode. I decided when I felt better to just keep the script. It's basically a self-aware avant-garde/conspiracy film.

The middle one is the start of Istvan's career who was involved in the later Fallout and Elder Scrolls games.

The bottom one is my first console video in over a year.

Click on the image to see the videos.

PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:51 am

Lighting is screwed up in this one again no matter what I did. Gonna have to play around (it's in a new space). Either way ignoring that this is my favourite video thus far.

Click on the image to see the review.

PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Wed May 18, 2022 9:54 am

34:15 might be the weirdest thing I've done thus far.

PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:57 am

Very proud of this one.

Return to Game Reviews