Erik Twice | Often, games must be difficult

Show your reviewing skills by collaborating with other forums members to review games of all ages.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Erik Twice | Often, games must be difficult

Post by Erik_Twice »

After a long hiatus Erik Twice is back with a better blog: New, non-ugly visuals! Pictures that actually allow you to tell what the hell is going on! And a review of Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence, which I loved! :lol:

Here it is!

NOBUNAGA'S AMBITION: SPHERE OF INFLUENCE

Nobunaga.Sphere.Influence.1.Intro_.jpg
Nobunaga.Sphere.Influence.1.Intro_.jpg (93.71 KiB) Viewed 22139 times

Please tell me what you think about my review, my blog and my lack of writing skills, I really appreciate it! Hope you have missed me :D
Last edited by Erik_Twice on Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:39 pm, edited 15 times in total.
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Erik Twice This War of Mine:A Zombie game disguised as a tra

Post by Erik_Twice »

ThisWarOfMine.1.Background.jpg
ThisWarOfMine.1.Background.jpg (112.88 KiB) Viewed 22101 times

My review of This War of Mine was the article that got the best response back when it was first released. A harsh, contrarion view on the indie hit This War of Mine, it heavily criticises its shallow treatment of the Balkan War and what it means to be a civilian in an armed conflict.

THIS WAR OF MINE
Ack

Re: I'm back! Erik Twice reviews THIS WAR OF MINE

Post by Ack »

Heh, I remember that article. Good to see you are back at writing again.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Re: I'm back! Erik Twice reviews THIS WAR OF MINE

Post by Erik_Twice »

Ack wrote:Heh, I remember that article. Good to see you are back at writing again.

Thanks! I've really missed writing, I'm very happy to be doing it again, there are a ton of games I really want to talk about like Nobunaga's Ambition, Tragedy Looper and Wishbringer.

I hope you enjoy my new stuff as much as you enjoyed the old Ack. At least it will be a little more readable this time :lol:
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Re: I'm back! Erik Twice on JOURNALISTIC DISTRUST

Post by Erik_Twice »

I revised my article on the lack of credibility of the gaming press and published it yesterday. This was the first of my really interesting articles and while it's a bit dated, I think it's relevant even today.

JournalisticDistrust.1.Doritosgate.jpg
JournalisticDistrust.1.Doritosgate.jpg (110.97 KiB) Viewed 22063 times

JOURNALISTIC DISTRUST

Another critic wrote a very balanced response to this article, tackling the issue in a very fair manner. He also praises my This War of Mine review, which is incredibly flattering.

Ed Smith's response
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Very interesting read, Erik. I can't really disagree, either. I guess one could dissemble and say that, really, gaming "journalism" is actually more akin to enthusiast media, not terribly far removed from fan magazines. I can understand why folks might need to accept air fare, but that all needs to be on the table and in the open if they are to be taken seriously.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I think, indeed, the problem is not the accepting the trip fare and whatnot, but the failure to disclose it. Allow us the information and we'll decide whether it was sufficient to affect the outcomes. Auto journalism faces the same problem. Car makers will not ship a car to a reviewers office. They instead fly you out to a single site where you can view and operate the car under controlled conditions. Unlike games, however, which are cheap enough an outlet can simply buy a copy once it releases, cars are expensive, and this is literally the only way for most outlets to host auto reviews.

Check out Ars Technica's review policy. They do not attend paid junkets unless they are allowed to pay their own travel and lodging.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
SNESdrunk
Next-Gen

Post by SNESdrunk »

Erik_Twice wrote:JOURNALISTIC DISTRUST

Thank you. Stuff like this needs to be shouted from the mountain tops. Sadly everything is so corrupted and inbred, I don't think the gaming journalism industry will ever have a shred of credibility until institutions that, you know, already have credibility start to get involved.

Who is the most "trusted" video game critic out there? Is it Yahtzee Croshaw?
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

SNESdrunk wrote:Who is the most "trusted" video game critic out there? Is it Yahtzee Croshaw?

It is actually the racketboy.com "Games Beaten 2017" thread.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Dang skippy it is. No agendas here. (At least not paid ones, haha!)