Anyone Used A Composite to VGA Adapter?

Show your reviewing skills by collaborating with other forums members to review games of all ages.
Fragems
Next-Gen

Anyone Used A Composite to VGA Adapter?

Post by Fragems »

Anyone used one of these before and was the image quality decent?

Brainydeal DVD VGA RCA S-video to Laptop Computer PC VGA LCD Monitor Converter Switch Adapters
Have my computer setup and ready to go for some recording, but the video quality sucks when playing using the software for the tuner card. The recording quality is fine but the preview mode which you can use to play while you record is pretty horrible :P.

So I am planning to get a composite splitter/amplifier and either using my spare monitor or getting a small tv to play on while recording. Already have the spare monitor hooked up in here so I would prefer to use it so that I can save a little space. However it's vga only and I'm not sure what quality to expect from a standard Composite in to VGA adapter.
Fragems
Next-Gen

Re: Anyone Used A Composite to VGA Adapter?

Post by Fragems »

Just got a little extra cash in so I will try this sometime next week and report back on the results.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

they are very hit or miss in my experience. I've not used the one you linked.
Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

It's worth a shot amazon reviews seem pretty good and as long as the results are decent I'll be fine with it.
Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

Got it in and hooked up. Overall it's better quality then my tuner card but not by a lot. However it is good enough to play on and I still have some settings to toy around with. Plus I don't have to worry about the image quality going to crap when I start recording.

Was a little worried when I first saw the box thought I had received a white version :P. Was glad to find it was black like the picture though :). Also was surprised to see that it supported VGA to video/s-video. I was actually looking for something along those lines a few years back. Was looking for DVI to video though but all this would require is a DVI/VGA adapter :P hadn't thought of that :roll: .

Was glad to see they included plenty of cables :).

Took me a while to get it setup due to a bit of stupidity on my side but I finely got it up and running. Made the stupid mistake of believing that all inputs would be on the same side :roll:. However it turns out the VGA port next to the s/video and video inputs is actually the output :P.

For now this works but I'm going to keep an eye out for a decent CRT Monitor or Small TV.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Fragems wrote:Got it in and hooked up. Overall it's better quality then my tuner card but not by a lot. However it is good enough to play on and I still have some settings to toy around with. Plus I don't have to worry about the image quality going to crap when I start recording.

Was a little worried when I first saw the box thought I had received a white version :P. Was glad to find it was black like the picture though :). Also was surprised to see that it supported VGA to video/s-video.

For now this works but I'm going to keep an eye out for a decent CRT Monitor or Small TV.

noise sold me his Gamecube/N64/SNES to VGA adapter a while back. It converts the SVideo signal of the console to VGA and though not "480p" VGA, the image does not look too bad on my VGA CRT monitor.

Maybe get some SVideo cables to at least isolate the Chroma and Luma channels? As for the CRT monitor, Thrift Stores usually have a few inexpensive units on the shelf. Use that VGA CRT for the VGA Dreamcast Lightgun too. :idea:

Last edited by CRTGAMER on Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

CRTGAMER wrote:Use that VGA CRT for the VGA Dreamcast Lightgun too. :idea:

yeah one of my aims for yard sales this year is to find a nice big 4:3" VGA monitor for Dreamcast... perhaps one w/ built in speakers.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

noiseredux wrote:
CRTGAMER wrote:Use that VGA CRT for the VGA Dreamcast Lightgun too. :idea:
yeah one of my aims for yard sales this year is to find a nice big 4:3" VGA monitor for Dreamcast... perhaps one w/ built in speakers.

Its sweet at 640x480 resolution, the Lightgun responds instantly even at the higher resolution. I once picked up a VGA CRT and a CRT TV with Component (maybe an EDTV?) sitting on the curb down the street on Garbage day. Average about every few months seeing a CRT sitting out on garbage days.

Check out your local Thrift Stores, an advantage of testing out your console right in the store before purchase to verify the image.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

yup, actually my 30-something" Trinitron came from a curb right across the street from my house last Summer. :)
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

noiseredux wrote:yup, actually my 30-something" Trinitron came from a curb right across the street from my house last Summer. :)

My frustration is so many VGA CRTs; why is there not a CRT HDTV with VGA input!

@ Fragems - Just realized something. Does your capture card have a VGA input for that adapter? Or are you planning to take a screenshot of the image with a camera? The LCD monitor will have less glare versus a glass screen of a CRT monitor.