Show your reviewing skills by collaborating with other forums members to review games of all ages.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Re: BRIK's Reviews! LATEST VIDEO: Road Rash II for Genesis/M

by Gunstar Green Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:37 pm

Road Rash II is my favorite of the 16-bit offerings since it's basically just an updated version of the original. It was also the one that really gave the series its signature humor with its little cutscenes.

They went a bit too far with III, trying to give it the look of the 32-bit game with pre-rendered graphics. It was still fun and had loads of weapons but it just wasn't as good overall.
BRIK
Next-Gen

by BRIK Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:01 am

Gunstar Green wrote:Road Rash II is my favorite of the 16-bit offerings since it's basically just an updated version of the original. It was also the one that really gave the series its signature humor with its little cutscenes.

They went a bit too far with III, trying to give it the look of the 32-bit game with pre-rendered graphics. It was still fun and had loads of weapons but it just wasn't as good overall.

Hm, I can imagine that would make it quite sluggish, no? It hardly has a decent frame rate as it is.

Ghegs wrote:So what are your thoughts on Road Redemption, on Steam Early Access currently? Looks to be the Road Rash successor in all but name.

I haven't had a chance to look into it yet to be honest, with really the only info I know based off a recent article on Road Rash in a Retro Gamer. I might give them a whirl and see if they'll give me a reviewer copy since I've always been a fan of Road Rash on my channel. I wonder if Retro Game On is big enough to be asking things like that from developers yet lol?
Retro Game On's YouTube Channel << Featuring reviews, features and repair videos.
BRIK
Next-Gen

by BRIK Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:41 am

Super Mario 64 for N64

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AncPvBEQ7E

EVERYONE has made a video about this game, and now I have to. The greasy cogs of YouTube continue to turn.
Retro Game On's YouTube Channel << Featuring reviews, features and repair videos.
SNESdrunk
Next-Gen

Re: BRIK's Reviews! LATEST VIDEO: Super Mario 64 for N64

by SNESdrunk Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:35 pm

It can't be overstated what a ginormous deal Mario 64 was. I remember just dicking around and diving into the waterfall for like an hour. That game was beyond belief.

However... this game (and that era of 3D gaming) are completely at the mercy of the camera. And that's really, really frustrating. Easy to forgive back then because the "wow" factor was unlike any game before it, but now... I can't say I'd play it for very long.
BRIK
Next-Gen

by BRIK Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:43 pm

Yeah, the fact that something so important was not done right surprised me. I guess they were still playing around with the format.
emwearz
Next-Gen

by emwearz Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:47 am

BRIK wrote:Yeah, the fact that something so important was not done right surprised me. I guess they were still playing around with the format.

For the time the camera was amazing, compared to other games of the time, the camera was bang on.
BRIK
Next-Gen

by BRIK Wed May 06, 2015 9:14 am

emwearz wrote:
BRIK wrote:Yeah, the fact that something so important was not done right surprised me. I guess they were still playing around with the format.

For the time the camera was amazing, compared to other games of the time, the camera was bang on.

I guess it was more or less the first of its kind.
BRIK
Next-Gen

by BRIK Wed May 06, 2015 9:15 am

Darklight Conflict for PSone Review

And now back to something a bit weird and (kind of) wonderful; Darklight Conflict.
About as vast in contrast to my previous review (Super Mario 64) as you can get in regards to obscurity, Darklight Conflict is an interesting space combat simulation on the PlayStation that was release in the late 90's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsmFneqM7hg
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Wed May 06, 2015 8:25 pm

BRIK wrote:Darklight Conflict for PSone Review

A very good game and nice review. Though a pre duel shock game, the space flight game can be controlled with a PS1 Flightstick in its digital mode. One advantage of older PS1 games is the Dpad control transposes more readily to arcade sticks over later duel shock control games. The stick has an advantage of a more natural control over the dpad for the flight maneuvers.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

BRIK
Next-Gen

Re: BRIK's Reviews! LATEST VIDEO: Darklight Conflict for PS1

by BRIK Fri May 08, 2015 4:01 am

Thanks CTR.
That probably would have made the dog fighting a million times more manageable; although the flying wasn't really the problem but more so the erratic AI.
Return to Game Reviews