Game vs Game, It's back! -- Now Playing: Episode 1 Racer

Show your reviewing skills by collaborating with other forums members to review games of all ages.
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Re: Game vs Game - Super Street Fighter 2

Post by ninjainspandex »

GryeDor wrote:
Ziggy587 wrote:The Street Fighter II link in the first post goes to the Lion King video.

so did the forum like roll back a few days? i'm certain i both replied to you and changed the links... but now am second guessing my sanity.

yes the servers rolled back, your not crazy.... I think
GryeDor
64-bit

Post by GryeDor »

ninjainspandex wrote:
GryeDor wrote:
Ziggy587 wrote:The Street Fighter II link in the first post goes to the Lion King video.

so did the forum like roll back a few days? i'm certain i both replied to you and changed the links... but now am second guessing my sanity.

yes the servers rolled back, your not crazy.... I think

yes i suppose that's still debatable, but at least i know i didn't imagine it!
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Second confirming, I remember reading your reply to my post.
GryeDor
64-bit

Re: Game vs Game - Captain America and the Avengers

Post by GryeDor »

Hey everyone, with the new Avengers movie coming out, I thought it fitting to take a look at Captain America and the Avengers on the NES, Genesis and Super Nintendo. Enjoy!

Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

I knew I'd like this one as a Genesis fan. :lol:

Honestly I'm not big on any of the arcade-style versions.

I have the Genesis game because I've been an Iron Man fan-boy since I first learned to read and it's not like Iron Man got into a lot of video games back then. It's just overwhelmingly mediocre, but that voice acting... hilarious.

The NES platformer is a decent, if not slightly aggravating, game. It's a minor hidden gem.
GryeDor
64-bit

Re: Game vs Game - Gauntlet Legends

Post by GryeDor »

Now Playing: Gauntlet Legends for N64, PS1 and Dreamcast. This video actually wouldn't export when i finished it before Captain America and the Avengers episode, so when revisiting it I took the time to fix some parts that felt too formulaic and Jay Hicks from Viridian Flashback helped out with some details about the sequel, Dark Legacy.

Jay runs Viridian Flashback a review show and collector's guide to the original XBOX, if you are so interested you can check out his work here!

Hope you enjoy!

GryeDor
64-bit

Post by GryeDor »

Gunstar Green wrote:I knew I'd like this one as a Genesis fan. :lol:

Honestly I'm not big on any of the arcade-style versions.

I have the Genesis game because I've been an Iron Man fan-boy since I first learned to read and it's not like Iron Man got into a lot of video games back then. It's just overwhelmingly mediocre, but that voice acting... hilarious.

The NES platformer is a decent, if not slightly aggravating, game. It's a minor hidden gem.

sorry for the late reply, i'm sure i got a notice you had replied but must have completely forgotten to come converse with you! :oops:

but! i completely agree the highlight of the game is the cheesy dialogue. a shining moment in a pretty meh game. i did enjoy the playthrough but it's not something i foresee myself playing with any regularity or for a game like Turtles in Time thinking like, you know... it's been too long since i've played that. and yeah, "minor hidden gem" is a good way to put the NES. it'll appeal to some as a hidden gem, but not as widely as some of the others.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

I've been really enjoying these videos of late, although it upsets me how long I have to wait between episodes. I get that it takes time to put together footage, edit, write scripts etc though, and I'd rather have quality than quantity (both would be even better :wink: )

I'm looking forward to seeing some more of the games in your title sequence get looked at. Any plans for those? Lunar and Skies of Arcadia for example.

Beyond Good & Evil would seem to be a harder one to compare. Differences in multi-format games were much less pronounced by gen 6!

My one issue with the videos is that in more than one you talk about the sound or music in a version of the game without doing a direct comparison. Sure, I can kinda hear it playing throughout the video, but its hard to hear and often isnt playing at the time you're talking about it. I much prefer the times you've done direct comparisons.
GryeDor
64-bit

Post by GryeDor »

alienjesus wrote:I've been really enjoying these videos of late, although it upsets me how long I have to wait between episodes. I get that it takes time to put together footage, edit, write scripts etc though, and I'd rather have quality than quantity (both would be even better :wink: )

I'm looking forward to seeing some more of the games in your title sequence get looked at. Any plans for those? Lunar and Skies of Arcadia for example.

Beyond Good & Evil would seem to be a harder one to compare. Differences in multi-format games were much less pronounced by gen 6!

My one issue with the videos is that in more than one you talk about the sound or music in a version of the game without doing a direct comparison. Sure, I can kinda hear it playing throughout the video, but its hard to hear and often isnt playing at the time you're talking about it. I much prefer the times you've done direct comparisons.

hey dude, thanks for watching and glad you enjoy them!

my goal is one video per month which is pretty light when you look at other people, even channels around the same size as mine, doing bi-weekly or weekly content. it's a conscious decision on my part to do monthly. partly because i know how i work and i have a shitty creative process, and also partly because i'd like to not always disappear from my wife after work to write or edit, which i'm a slow editer so that takes almost a week itself. So for now, once per month. although that may change in the future.

as for Skies... YES! definitely! i'd love to cover that and other RPGs in general. at this point its just kind of intimidating and i don't know where to start. do i play the entire game of all versions? if not, how do i best cover the content? if so, it's like 80-90 hour commitment... so still working that sort of stuff out. Beyond Good and Evil i stuck in my intro when i started because i knew it had multiple versions and later had the exact same thought you did, that once you get into the PS2 era... there's not really much to talk about. that's why i started clipping the intro off and starting at Chu Chu Rocket instead.

And yes the music, i totally agree. i started doing the call-outs when a music track is playing and started thinking that that would give people the frame of reference to understand what i'm saying when talking about the music. whether it has or hasn't, it definitely isn't the same impact as having a direct comparison of the same tracks. that was intended to return after Captain America and the Avengers, which should have come out right after Gauntlet Legends, but i had issues with exporting Gauntlet so Captain came first and then Gauntlet. So from this point on, it's direct comparisons :)
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

All right, Gauntlet Legends.

I've got the DC version and I really enjoy how faithful to the original it is, plus adding characters and features from Dark Legacy was nice.

The PS1 port is total garbage.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.