Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection Review

Show your reviewing skills by collaborating with other forums members to review games of all ages.
Satoshi_Matrix
Next-Gen

Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection Review

Post by Satoshi_Matrix »

Review time. Here's a look at the newly released Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection for PSP. Is it worth a look? You bet it is!

http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/2011 ... eview-psp/

Enjoy!
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Re: Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection Review

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Satoshi_Matrix wrote:Review time. Here's a look at the newly released Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection for PSP. Is it worth a look? You bet it is!

http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/2011 ... eview-psp/

Enjoy!

Beautiful graphics of my favorite RPG of all time. Makes me wish I had a PSP just for this game.
Satoshi_Matrix
Next-Gen

Post by Satoshi_Matrix »

Do it! Used PSP 2000s and 3000s are sub $100 in used game shops, and they'll only get cheaper as time goes by. Once you have a PSP I'm sure you'll discover other amazing RPGs for it (Lunar Silver Star Harmony, Grandia PS1, Final Fantasy VII, plus homebrew support for perfect GB/GBC and NES games, plus decent emulators for many others. A PSP is an RPG lover's dream handheld.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Satoshi_Matrix wrote:Is it worth a look? You bet it is!

Agreed. I already had more than one port of FFIV, but I definitely think the PSP version is my favorite. And actually, I quite like The After Years. Everything about the PSP package is excellent, and worth the price.
brunoafh
Next-Gen

Post by brunoafh »

noiseredux wrote:Agreed. I already had more than one port of FFIV, but I definitely think the PSP version is my favorite. And actually, I quite like The After Years. Everything about the PSP package is excellent, and worth the price.

Yeah this is definitely my favorite port overall. I don't really like how the difficulty has been watered down to oblivion, but everything else is great. Considering it comes with a touched up version of The After Years, it's no doubt the port with the most value.

I think I'll always prefer the original JP SFC version above them all though.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

brunoafh wrote:I think I'll always prefer the original JP SFC version above them all though.

I've only played the PS1 and GBA versions before this one.
brunoafh
Next-Gen

Post by brunoafh »

The PS1 version is pretty much identical to the JP SFC one.
Satoshi_Matrix
Next-Gen

Post by Satoshi_Matrix »

brunoafh wrote:I don't really like how the difficulty has been watered down to oblivion, but everything else is great.

whoa where'd that comment come from? FFIV on PSP is far from being watered down. I've still found myself spending extra hours on the overworld and other places to level grind. One of the only negatives I have to say about this version is there seems to be all kinds of difficulty spikes. The Rubicante battle was one as I recall.
brunoafh
Next-Gen

Post by brunoafh »

Satoshi_Matrix wrote:whoa where'd that comment come from? FFIV on PSP is far from being watered down. I've still found myself spending extra hours on the overworld and other places to level grind. One of the only negatives I have to say about this version is there seems to be all kinds of difficulty spikes. The Rubicante battle was one as I recall.

I... I'm unsure how to respond to that. What other versions of the game have you played? I was only saying that the difficulty was watered down, which it intentionally is.

I slogged through the game with no problem in like 15 hours (omitted the bonus content since I've already seen it on the GBA version) without dying once. I've beaten this game like over a dozen times though so maybe I'm just really used to everything.

The main reason this version of the game is significantly easier than all of the previous ones (not counting the SNES version and the SFC Easytype) has to do with the way the ATB fills up. Your party is much faster than it's supposed to be. There are some other reasons too, but this is the one that very noticeably effects the overall challenge that the game used to present.
Last edited by brunoafh on Thu May 26, 2011 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hashiriya1
Next-Gen

Post by hashiriya1 »

I agree with bruno. I have played all versions of FFIV and this one seemed like a breeze. Not nearly as much grinding. I wonder if the After Years part is easier, too. I've only beaten the After Years game on my AU KDDI cellphone a few years back. I'll hop on the PSP version sometime soon. Perhaps I can report back on the differences between the mobile phone version and the PSP version other than the obvious graphical enhancements.