What It's Really Like to Write About Videogames for a Living

Post game-related video clips here
ZRofel
24-bit

What It's Really Like to Write About Videogames for a Living

Post by ZRofel »

Hey, folks! I hosted a panel discussion last week with Jeremy Parish (former Editor-in-Chief of 1up and USGamer), Kat Bailey (of IGN), Allegra Frank (of Slate), and Nicole Carpenter (of Polygon) about the gaming journalism industry. I titled the talk "What It's Really Like to Write About Videogames for a Living", as I was kind of targeting the promotions at younger people who might be considering a career in videogame journalism. But it ended up being a lot more of a sprawling conversation about the evolution of videogame journalism and the state of the gaming industry as a whole. It was a lot of fun and I think touched upon some really interesting ideas. I posted the recording here on my work's YouTube page, so feel free to take a look if you're interested. Also, enjoy the fact that my office where I recorded is the gloomiest room in my house :P. Thankfully, I'm just moderating, so I'm not on screen that much.
marurun

Re: What It's Really Like to Write About Videogames for a Li

Post by marurun »

That... actually sounds pretty dang cool. I think I'll watch it when I have some time. Have you considered making available an audio-only version so folks can listen when they don't have a screen available?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
ZRofel
24-bit

Post by ZRofel »

marurun wrote:That... actually sounds pretty dang cool. I think I'll watch it when I have some time. Have you considered making available an audio-only version so folks can listen when they don't have a screen available?

I've got the audio file from the Zoom recording, but I'm not really sure what platform I could place it on since I don't really have accounts anyplace. I'm definitely open to suggestions, though.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Looking forward to checking it out -- thanks for sharing!
I always enjoy hearing other people's work situations :)
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

ZRofel wrote:I've got the audio file from the Zoom recording, but I'm not really sure what platform I could place it on since I don't really have accounts anyplace. I'm definitely open to suggestions, though.

Awesome idea for a panel! I'm going to give this a listen over the weekend.

Regarding platforms for the audio, Soundcloud and Archive.org might be places to look into.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

Super cool!
I really appreciate this kind of events being held through public libraries! We hosted a Hardcore Gaming 101 event at my library earlier this year but it wasn't recorded