It's the BogusMeatFactory Stream (UPDATE 5/15)

Post game-related video clips here
mjmjr25

Re: It's the BogusMeatFactory Stream (UPDATE 10/23)

Post by mjmjr25 »

Gotcha gotcha, and no, not rambly - it answered all my questions. My hangup is my connection - so I wonder what would happen if I tried, my upload is like in the bottom 99% of the US, something like 0.2 mbps. So if I tried, would it just be like a still screen that would occasionally blip..or would it not do anything at all.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Just letting folks now my stream tonight is canceled. Mt daughter is inconsolable with her teething and am trying hard to comfort her.

As for your question Mike, a .2 mbps upload speed isnt going to work. What people will see is extreme artifacting and an indecipher able image
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Got her to sleep, hopefully for the night. Gonna try and stream some and beat castlevania...we shall see! I am just glad she finally was comforted and able to get some rest
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

Cronozilla
Next-Gen

Post by Cronozilla »

mjmjr25 your bitrate would be around 200kbps, which is below 240p (but not by much). So it's still possible to stream.

This is a pretty good rubric https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2853702?hl=en
And you figure out these numbers by translating your upload speed you get from a speedtest site (in Mbps) into Kbps, by multiplying it by 1024. That'll give you a rough estimate of what bitrate you can support when streaming. You just put that number into OBS and keep in mind the higher the resolution, the more spread out that bandwidth is. (A 1080p stream at 300kbps will function, but will be incredibly blurry with lots of video artifacts)

Streaming at 720p isn't too hard, that's only 1500Kbps range, and that's like a 1.4Mbps upload.

The 5Mbps number is for solid 1080P@30fps, or the ground floor of 1080P@60fps.
Even with a 0.5Mbps upload you could stream solid 480P content.

I would say give it a shot. You never know how it'll work until you do it.

0.2Mbps might be good enough to stream 240P games fairly solidly. You might have to mess with the fps to get the quality where you need it, though.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Crono! I beat death and at Dracula now#!! You missed it! Hopefully tomorrow I can beat him.

Cronozilla
Next-Gen

Post by Cronozilla »

Dude, I told you, if I'm not at my computer I won't be notified of anything unless you send me a message on hangouts :\

It becomes really difficult to keep track (not to mention 4:40PM is seriously busy here)
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Cronozilla wrote:Dude, I told you, if I'm not at my computer I won't be notified of anything unless you send me a message on hangouts :\

It becomes really difficult to keep track (not to mention 4:40PM is seriously busy here)

I know! Sadly I can't do much until 8 PM EST, because of bedtime with the baby. I am lucky to have even gotten to stream at all, considering her teething issues. You didn't really miss much. 8Bit visited and bacon was there as usual and I spent the first hour and a half trying to beat death. Getting to Dracula is infinitely easier than that garbage.

WHY DO THE SCYTHES NOT DISAPPEAR AFTER YOU KILL DEATH!?

mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

Actually, I meant 0.02mbps...i'm guessing that is way too low based on that rubric?

Cronozilla
Next-Gen

Post by Cronozilla »

I'll skip through the video if it gets uploaded.

Yeah, 20Kbps is too slow for streaming.

If you don't plan on streaming for hours on end, an alternative may be to use your mobile data line, if you have one. The speeds on those can range, but if it's 4G, it's fast enough for streaming.

I just tested my phone right now, completely off peak hours, it got 80Mbps down and 32Mbps up. If your phone/network/provider supports hotspoting, you can just put a WiFi adapter on your PC and use the phone like a wireless router to the internet. But you gotta keep an eye on the bandwidth usage. It's not hard to calculate an estimate, though, after-all you set the bitrate.

If you wanted to stream 1080p@30fps that's about a minimum of 2.6GB per hour. Most data plans give up to 2GB per month as a bottom tier and I think most common ones are 10GB for the entire month (shared across phones also on the plan). So, take it with a grain of salt, but it is a potential solution if you just want to go for a half hour at 480p or something (That'd be like 659MB or something. It would take roughly four hours to get to 2.5GB of bandwidth used).
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

I tested my 4G Internet connection on my phone and it is 1.5 mbps upload and 7 mbps download.

Weird.