The Official Cover/Label/Scan Request Thread

Discussion of scanning, archiving, and printing things such as magazines, manuals, video captures, and game covers
Ziggy

The Official Cover/Label/Scan Request Thread

Post by Ziggy »

I could have sworn we had a thread like this already but I couldn't find one. If there is, please feel free to merge or whatever.

I figured we could have an official thread for everyone to make requests in. Cart labels, covers, manuals, whatever. Either people could link to where it already exists on the internet, or if it's no where to be found then maybe someone here could be kind enough to make the scan themselves.

For any one willing to make a scan: Please be sure to to scan at a high enough resolution. Also, save the file as a TIFF or PNG as they are lossless. Don't save as JPG if it can be avoided, it's a lossy format (the quality wont be as good). If needed, here's a basic scanning guide. If you wish to scan something and need help, post in this thread.

After you have scanned something, try to avoid uploading it to a photo hosting site like Photobucket. Most of them (all of them?) only allow you to upload as JPG and will auto-size the image. This is no good. Try and upload it to a site meant for the type of scan that it is. For example, if it's a label or a cover scan, then upload it on The Cover Project (there's a raw scan section).

Here's a list of sites that you can upload to:

The Cover Project ==> http://www.thecoverproject.net/ (boxes/covers and cart labels)
Vimm's Lair ==> http://vimm.net/?p=manual (instruction manuals)
replacementdocs ==> http://www.replacementdocs.com/news.php (instruction manuals)

When uploading to any site, please be sure to follow their uploading rules.

If any one knows of any other similar sites, please let me know and I'll add them to the above list.

Any other suggestions for this thread, let me know!

@mods: We don't have any stickied threads in the Archiving section. Can we afford to sticky this one?
Last edited by Ziggy on Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ziggy

Re: The Official Cover/Label/Scan Request Thread

Post by Ziggy »

Great idea for a thread! I'll go first...

I need a scan of the cover for Wind Waker HD (Wii U). It's not on The Cover Project, I also checked the raw scans and didn't see it. Does any one know where I can find a scan of this online? It has to be a high enough resolution image to print. If not, can any one scan this for me?
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Hm, I don't have that one to scan, but BRE has the insert available for purchase.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Who has what now? Link?

PS: I never mind scanning something here and there. If you can't find it and I've got it, I'll scan it (with in reason!).
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Post by KalessinDB »

2 things about The Cover Project (as I'm growing to love it more and more every week)

1: They do have instructions as well - just very, very few of them. I don't think they're actively going after them, but there's a handful you'll run into here and there.
2: Their forum is 10x as useful as their actual site. PLENTY of scans are in there, so search the forums and the various links in people's signatures. And I've discovered, unlike many other sites, they don't seem to mind (for the most part) duplicate requests -- there's a couple members that just kinda go "Here it is" because they're really good at finding and reposting covers. That being said, I'd advise against bumping requests more than once every month or so -- there's only a few members actively creating covers, and if you can't provide raw scans, it's no use continually bumping to the front page.

Great topic man. I'll help where I can, though my original boxes are few and far between.
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

Would anyone happen to have a scan (or be willing to make one) for the NTSC-U versions of these PS2 games:

The Red Star
Terminator: Dawn of Fate
XIII

I can't seem to find them anywhere.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

I can do Red Star if someone else doesn't. The catch is you gotta remind me on the weekend.
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

Hobie-wan wrote:I can do Red Star if someone else doesn't. The catch is you gotta remind me on the weekend.

Thanks a ton! I'll make sure to bombard you with PMs. :wink:
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Post by ninjainspandex »

I desparately need Vertical UGC covers for the following SNES games

Ys IV Mask of the Sun Reproduction in english
Hammerin Harry
Cotton 100%
Parodius
Tactics Ogre Let us Cling Together
PC Genjin 2 (Bonk 2)