Who Here Remembers Play Magazine?

Discussion of scanning, archiving, and printing things such as magazines, manuals, video captures, and game covers
flojocabron
Next-Gen

Who Here Remembers Play Magazine?

Post by flojocabron »

While cleaning and (trying to) organizing after going through about 7 years of magazines...(yeah I'm a packrat)

mens magazines, gaming magzines, tech magazines.

I came across my old Play issues. About three years of them.

Time did not treat them well. The dust and hot summer days made them fall apart.

Damn cheap ass glue! Only about a third of them survived. I have older mags that still hold together better!

And on a transition on holding together better, which play magazine did not. Their fall from grace and eventual bankruptcy left many people (including me :twisted: ) with a bad taste in their mouths.

I recently resubscribed and my new issue never came. NADA. Only till I went online did I find out about their demise. No letter of apology. No offer to switch to a different mag. nothing. I even subsribed to their other magazine GEEK and that went down the drain too. It really pissed me off

For me out of all the magazines I got each month: Gameinformer is corporate fed mag, everyone gets one. EGM/Gamepro was what everyone read; ie nostalgia. Play had a speical place: games that were under your radar.

I really liked Play mag too. Their articles were different enough to get my attention. They showed stuff the other magzines only had as a stub. Candid reviews for other stuff not game related. I liked their balzyness (SPELL CHECK :lol: ) with their no # rating reviews. Thier covers were amazing as well.

But alas, these guys are now a stub themselves in gaming history. Had they still survived, I would have been a loyal subscriber.

I dont even have their magazines to gawk at anymore.

damn cheap glue.
2600 and jr,5200,nes/top loader, master system, intellivision, TG-16, genesis 1,2,3, SNES, snesJR, CDX, 3DOfz10, gamegear, gameboy and pocket, GBC, sega saturn, PSOne w/screen, Virtual Boy, N64, NGPC, Gameboy Advance sp, Dreamcast, Black Dreamcast, oXBOX, Playstation 2, PStwo, Gamecube, gameboy player, DS lite,DSi XL, PSP1000/3000,Wii,PS3 120gb,3DSXL, xbox 360, PSvita, PS4
Bradtemple87
Next-Gen

Re: Who Here Remembers Play Magazine?

Post by Bradtemple87 »

I have a stash of Play magazine as well 8)
MY Sale/Trade Thread
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=27739
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

I remember em. I liked the unusual format (size of paper) and the big beautiful images on every page. Great mag, never did see eye-to-eye with the reviewers, but meh, you get a feeling for that after a while.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
lisalover1
Next-Gen

Post by lisalover1 »

I was actually about to make a topic about this. Just today, I found an onld copy of Play that covered E3 '05, and it was a truly bittersweet reunion. I always loved Play Magazine; it was essentially what got me into hardcore gaming. I was actually about to start up my subscription again, but they closed up shop about a week after I resolved to do so. :( I have been looking around online for an archive of Play, or even torrents of it, but haven't found much beyond individual issues. It's a shame; it was really the only game magazine I ever bothered to read besides Nintendo Power. It is very rare to see magazines with such a palpable passion for games, and Play did it better than anyone else. I wish we would see a revival of the magazine, a la EGM, but I really can't see that happening. Given that Gamepro has gone under, too, I have a bad feeling about the direction of print-based game journalism.

(By the way, Flojo, if your mags are falling apart already, why not scan them and be a hero to the Internet?) ;)
~My name's Vicky, by the way!~ ^_^
elmagicochrisg
Next-Gen

Post by elmagicochrisg »

Hmm, I guess you guys aren't talking about the SNES magazine that did a lot of J import reviews. That mag was awesome...

Ah yes, now I remember. It wasn't Play Magazine, it was Super Play...

Dreamcast DUX Limited Edition for sale (new, odorless and sealed)

All forum members are equal. But some are more equal than others. - George Orwell
lisalover1
Next-Gen

Post by lisalover1 »

Man, there are literally no issues of Play available online! I've searched high and low, and haven't found anything!
~My name's Vicky, by the way!~ ^_^
D.D.D.
Next-Gen

Post by D.D.D. »

I think I remember seeing that at Heathrow but I really can't recall. Nice covers though.
 (FC, AVFC, NES, SFC x2, SNES, N64, GC x2, Wii x2)*(G&W x7, GB, GBpocket, GBASP, DS-L x2)
(GEN, SS x3, DC x3)*(PCE-Duo)*(Xbox:500GB)*(NGCDZ, NGPC)*(PS1, PStwo, PS3:160GB, PSP.3K)
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

I really enjoyed Play while it lasted. Its a shame it tanked.

I think I still have a healthy stack of issues somewhere around the house.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
flojocabron
Next-Gen

Post by flojocabron »

THREAD BUMP OF JOY!

I was going to start a blog. But things went south. Other stuff was made. Ideas executed and ended.

I borrowed my sisters scanner. I scanned a magazine. But it takes too long and my sister took the scanner back!

But I did manage to scan a play magazine. One that ripped on me. So sad. Like I said in my post from two years ago, the glue sucked.

Well anyways, enjoy that one scan. Its the issue on ODIN SPHERE!

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/88i9l6x88mpjl/Play_Magazine_VOL_6_ISS_5_may_2007

I have no idea how file hosting works, so please tell me if it works.

I'm putting this on EMUPARADISE too. Someone will like it over there too.
2600 and jr,5200,nes/top loader, master system, intellivision, TG-16, genesis 1,2,3, SNES, snesJR, CDX, 3DOfz10, gamegear, gameboy and pocket, GBC, sega saturn, PSOne w/screen, Virtual Boy, N64, NGPC, Gameboy Advance sp, Dreamcast, Black Dreamcast, oXBOX, Playstation 2, PStwo, Gamecube, gameboy player, DS lite,DSi XL, PSP1000/3000,Wii,PS3 120gb,3DSXL, xbox 360, PSvita, PS4
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

Has anyone played Crash of the Titans (page 31)? I don't think I've ever played that game before. :shock:
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.