how do you preserve your consoles?

Discussion of scanning, archiving, and printing things such as magazines, manuals, video captures, and game covers
nikon_62
24-bit

Re: how do you preserve your consoles?

Post by nikon_62 »

I keep mine in plastic bins except for the one I'm currently working on playing / collecting for. I used to have 10 in the entertainment center but it just looked cluttered.
J_Wil
32-bit

Post by J_Wil »

Exactly. I use those big ass zip lock bags and have a bunch of those in those plastic bins from Target.
"Oh great, another box of useless sh*t."

Main Collection: http://connect.collectorz.com/users/ynjmwil/games?viewCollection=in-collection - Not looking to move anything on this list but would entertain offers.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

Formaldehyde.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

Carbonite.
Lefloic

Post by Lefloic »

I'm moving in a new house and my gaming collection will probably go in the basement. How much moisture in the air is to much? I have a dehumidifier but I'm afraid that it can still damage my cartridges. They are placed in a big shelf without any doors. Any tips or I shouldn't worry too much?

Thanks
wip3outguy7
Next-Gen

Post by wip3outguy7 »

Lefloic wrote:I'm moving in a new house and my gaming collection will probably go in the basement. How much moisture in the air is to much? I have a dehumidifier but I'm afraid that it can still damage my cartridges. They are placed in a big shelf without any doors. Any tips or I shouldn't worry too much?

Thanks

Buckets of Damprid to go along with the dehumidifier. Order some packets of silica gel and toss them in a closed container with your cartridges.
FerretGamer
Next-Gen

Post by FerretGamer »

In plastic containers with Ziploc bags for the ones that can fit. If I do have original boxes, they get stored away separately (so they don't need to be touched.) I don't like having all of my consoles out/hooked up. Personally, I think it looks way too cluttered when you have 10+ consoles out and wired up. The wiring in particular gets to be a lot to manage.

In addition, I try to be clever about my console choices. For example, PS3 is nice because it takes care of PS1/PS3 (and PS2 if youve got the fatty) games. I also try to go for smaller revisions so Genesis 2 vs 1, NES Top loader vs Toaster, SNES 2 vs 1, etc. I really like neat, simple, and not cluttered. I'm hoping the Retron4 turns out to be the best clone yet because then I can play NES, SNES, Genesis, and GBA all on one console with original controllers.
Exhuminator wrote:Sega gonna Sega.
Hazerd
Next-Gen

Post by Hazerd »

Only have Phat PS2/PS3/Wii hooked up, rest are in my closet.

Also have N64/SNES/Slim PS2 on CRT, but none of that is plugged in.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Hazerd wrote:Only have Phat PS2/PS3/Wii hooked up, rest are in my closet.

That's kinda like my set-up.

Most of my consoles are "preserved" by the fact that I... don't play them. :lol:
Hazerd
Next-Gen

Post by Hazerd »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:
Hazerd wrote:Only have Phat PS2/PS3/Wii hooked up, rest are in my closet.

That's kinda like my set-up.

Most of my consoles are "preserved" by the fact that I... don't play them. :lol:

Usually if i want to play a SNES game i boot it up on my CFW PSP, and ive only been playing PS3 as of these past couple months actually, trying to play some catch-up.

Opened up my SNES Mini like a week ago due to the power cord being very sensitive if i move the console, and it ended up being very corroded inside despite the outside looking good.

Tried to take it apart but i got as far as the back of the console and a piece wouldnt come off so i couldnt clean the connector for the power and didnt want to end up breaking it, so yeah my SNES Mini is pretty crappy atm.

Maybe take it apart again and take pics and someone can tell me what to do.

/sadface