how do you preserve your consoles?

Discussion of scanning, archiving, and printing things such as magazines, manuals, video captures, and game covers
Hazerd
Next-Gen

Re: how do you preserve your consoles?

Post by Hazerd »

Interesting article i found doing a simple google search:

Saving the game: Why preserving video games is illegal
http://thenextweb.com/insider/2012/04/2 ... s-illegal/
jetto-setto
8-bit

Post by jetto-setto »

Lefloic wrote:I'm moving in a new house and my gaming collection will probably go in the basement. How much moisture in the air is to much? I have a dehumidifier but I'm afraid that it can still damage my cartridges. They are placed in a big shelf without any doors. Any tips or I shouldn't worry too much?

Thanks

You probably want the room's humidity to be between 35-55% (you don't want things excessively dry either), and fairly consistent. The same goes for temperature - consistency is key. I would say temperature in the 60s would be best. Severe fluctuations in either will degrade things the most. You also want to block out direct sunlight (easy in a basement) and control dust.

Although I have central air, I installed a small window A/C unit in my game room so that I can keep the temperature consistently cool year-round without having to cool the whole house all the time. I also have an air purifier in that room, which seems to greatly reduce the amount of dust and means I only have to dust very occasionally. I haven't had a problem with any sort of noticeable degradation of anything thus far but time will tell. I don't really have the room in my current game room to keep everything set up all the time, but I just try to set it up so that switching consoles is as easy as possible.

EDIT: Holy hell I didn't realize this thread was so old!
Ghudda
128-bit

Post by Ghudda »

Jetto (or anyone else), do you have suggestions for air purifiers? I've heard from people that run server hardware in their home that getting a large box fan and attaching a similar sized furnace filter to filter out dust, etc. What do you personally use? I've never used any external air purification systems before. I have two cats, so I've been looking for a way to remedy the cat hair situation. I vacuum biweekly and invest in quality air filters, but it could always be better.
B/S/TCollectionYouTube

test3
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

This is what I use in the living room of my house:

http://www.amazon.com/Hoover-Air-Purifi ... B004CLYAM2

When you've got two cats and two dogs living with you, kind of necessary. It works very well, but you have to replace the $25 filters every four months or so.

I don't use the ionizer or UV portion of it, because producing excess ozone in your house is a bad idea IMO.

For a game cave, I recommend getting a dehumidifier before an air filter. Humidity will kill your stuff faster than dust will.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Just a heads up to be careful with ionizers, they are bad for asthmatics.

You guys are taking this to another level though haha. I've had my SNES carts on my giant shelf out in the open in my tiny rooms over the last decade and a half or something and they all still look perfect.

EDIT: Granted haven't lived with cats in ages, so that probably helps.
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

Zip lock bags are great especially with the different sizes available. Dust is a big issue for me at least so they have worked wonders. Easy to wipe down when dust gets on them.
tel3caster

Post by tel3caster »

I'm surprised no one has asked this yet, but what have you all done to protect systems with LCD screens and non-removable batteries? The system i'm most cornerned about protecting right now is the PS Vita. I realize you can open up the vita and disconnect the lithium battery, but the process for opening up the system to begin with seems to have risks involved (I've seen irreparable damage to screens and cracked plastic).
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

tel3caster wrote:I'm surprised no one has asked this yet, but what have you all done to protect systems with LCD screens and non-removable batteries? The system i'm most cornerned about protecting right now is the PS Vita. I realize you can open up the vita and disconnect the lithium battery, but the process for opening up the system to begin with seems to have risks involved (I've seen irreparable damage to screens and cracked plastic).

Funny you should ask that. I'll start with saying that I keep those systems in the original box and/or a protective carrying case.

As for the batteries: for Nintendo systems I keep them in because the parasitic drain is so tiny I've had DS's not touched in three years and still had half of the battery left to go. GBA SP low parasitic drain is legendary!

As for a negative experience I've got one: PSP! I have two PSPs 3000 complete in the box with the battery out of the system. Well after several years I cracked open the boxes to inspect and the batteries bulged. They didn't fit in the PSPs and upon some research they were "this close" to leak all over.

Also of note: PSP has abysmal parasitic drain. It won't last long if not touched for a short period of time. The Vita improved exponentially on this front.

Hope this helps.
tel3caster

Post by tel3caster »

casterofdreams wrote:Funny you should ask that. I'll start with saying that I keep those systems in the original box and/or a protective carrying case.

As for the batteries: for Nintendo systems I keep them in because the parasitic drain is so tiny I've had DS's not touched in three years and still had half of the battery left to go. GBA SP low parasitic drain is legendary!

As for a negative experience I've got one: PSP! I have two PSPs 3000 complete in the box with the battery out of the system. Well after several years I cracked open the boxes to inspect and the batteries bulged. They didn't fit in the PSPs and upon some research they were "this close" to leak all over.

Also of note: PSP has abysmal parasitic drain. It won't last long if not touched for a short period of time. The Vita improved exponentially on this front.

Hope this helps.

I've heard about the issue with the PSP battery, but those were meant to be user replaceable. Staying on the topic of battery health, shouldn't we discharge and recharge somewhat regularly? I've heard arbitrary numbers like every 6 months or so, but nothing backed up by actual facts or figures.