The Guide to CRTs in North America

Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
Note
Next-Gen

The Guide to CRTs in North America

Post by Note »

Thought the RB community would be interested in this guide I recently came across, it's titled "CRT TVs of North America Catalog" -- it's an extensive guide of consumer CRTs released in the States (with some tidbits of info about models released internationally).

The guide is organized by brand and release period, covering mostly from the late '70s or early '80s to the last models released in the mid 2000s. Most models mentioned include photos, inputs, model numbers, any known issues with the specific model, and any known mods to improve on the model. Also, in some instances the amount of customization for that TVs service menu is also discussed.

Thanks to SegaSaturnNinteyFour and everyone who contributed to this amazing guide! And long live CRTs!
Ziggy

Re: The Guide to CRTs in North America

Post by Ziggy »

Whoa, neat! Thanks for posting. I'll definitely give it a look. Sounds like it would be very useful when shopping for CRTs.
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

No problem, Ziggy! Yeah, I think this is a great guide to reference if you come across a CRT you're interested in purchasing.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

This is a really great resource; I tried to find some of my treasures in it, but they were not present. I guess that means it's on me to add and document them here. That's actually a fun endeavor. Thanks for posting this!
I was hoping it was one of those resources on interfacing with the jungle chips for RGB input as the documentation on that is very far from comprehensive, and just scattered everywhere or unavailable.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Syndicate
32-bit

Post by Syndicate »

...Note this is awesome, I somehow finally stumbled across a CRT last weekend after going back on forth on if I should get one. This guide is super helpful.
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

Anapan, the main model that I use as well is also not featured in the guide, but a similar Samsung model released about two years later with a few additional features is listed. I'm wondering if the original creator focused on the models that were considered better from each brand/series?

Syndicate, I'm glad the guide will be useful for you. That's awesome you came across a good CRT in your area and went for it. I think it's important to preserve these monitors and continue to get use out of them!