Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

RGB SCART vs YPbPr Component

by ElkinFencer10 Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:57 pm

Sorry if there's already a topic about this that I didn't see, but I'm looking for some opinions here. I've talked to a few folks already, but I want to pose the question to the forums as a whole. I'm gonna be getting a RetroTink 5X as soon as I'm able to land an order in one of their upcoming restocks, but I'm not sure what input to go for. Obviously, for the time being, I'm just going to use whatever the best I have at the moment for the time being, but given that it has both YPbPr and SCART inputs on the 5X, which of those should I ideally use? I've see folks online say that SCART is better, I've seen folks say that high quality YPbPr like the HD Retrovision cables I have is better, and I've seen folks say that there's no real difference as long as you have quality cables.

So what do y'all think? For systems where both SCART and HD Retrovision YPbPr are options, which should I use with my RetroTink 5X?
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

bmoc
Next-Gen

Re: RGB SCART vs YPbPr Component

by bmoc Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:59 pm

The difference between the two is really minor but on paper RGB SCART is better. I have the capability to use both on my PS2 and I doubt I could tell the difference even if I had the output side by side on identical displays. If you have already made a significant investment in a particular type of cable or a quality A/V switching device, I'd standardize on that format. If you have neither, good SCART switches tend to run a bit higher than component. For example the gcomp switch is $240 where the gscart switch is $290.

In short, I'd go with whatever is cheaper or more readily available. I've got a RetroTINK 5X and I use both SCART and component with it so feel free to pick my brain with any followup questions.
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:07 pm

I agree with bmoc. If you already have invested in one, don't bother switching it. That is, unless it makes your setup easier some how.

But if you were going from scratch, or just to discuss RGB versus YPbPr in general, it's not a one size fits all kind of thing. I would choose the type of video output on a per console basis. For retro consoles that natively output RGB, either 240p or 480i, I think RGB is arguably the better choice. Only because it would have to be transcoded to YPbPr first, then go through whatever processing after that. It would be one less step of processing the video, is my point. Which is always a good thing. But it's also the kind of thing where if you A/B the RGB cables and the HD Retrovision cables on the RetroTINK 5x, you may not notice any difference. A console that natively outputs YPbPr as well as RGB, you might as well go with YPbPr. Something like the PS2 that can do both, RGB SCART is supposed to be capped at 480i (although you can force 480p) but YPbPr can do up to 1080i.
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:58 am

What do you guys recommend for Dreamcast? What's better between SCART and VGA? And how does compatibility differ between the two? I know not every game works with VGA, and not every game works with SCART. Does SCART support 480p on Dreamcast?

marurun

by marurun Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:20 am

I THINK the Dreamcast only supports 640x480 via VGA
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:47 am

Not every DC game supports RGB SCART?

For the DC, SCART will get you 240p/480i output. VGA will get you 480p. You can make or buy a converter AV cable that'll take the VGA output and combined the syncs to make a sort of non-standard 31 Khz RGBs SCART output. It works with the Framemeister and OSSC, but obvisouly not with a CRT. I don't know if the RetroTINK 5x plays nice with it.

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/seg ... -480P-MODE

If you don't mind the de-interlacing, a standard RGB SCART cable will be easier and cheaper to deal with.
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:51 am

For simplicity's sake, I use SCART with my Dreamcast but it is one of my most neglected consoles. It spends most of its time in a box. The cable that Ziggy linked is the hotness and I think I have seen it mentioned as being compatible with the 5X Pro. Definitely research that before buying though.
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:21 pm

I have a home built version of that cable and it works good when I used it with the Framemeister. But mine can switch between 480p and 280p/480i. I've decided to stick with regular old RGB SCART tho, not only because it's easier but also because I've been mostly gaming on a PVM.

My Dreamcasts are also neglected, but it's because one has a problem with RGB (the green channel is apparently dead) and both now seem to have issues with the disc drives. My poor Dreamcasts, I have to get around to fixing them.
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:03 am

I could never tell the difference between RGB and Component on any of my displays and scalers. I tried hard since my setup can support everything. I think the picture comparisons that showed Component having artefacting were just down to bad component cables.
I like that Component can give a clean luma signal for monochrome monitors so handheld games can play at 240p on them.

I was going to buy a Behar Bros. Toro, but I lent my Dreamcast to a friend years ago, he still plays it all the time, and I haven't missed it...
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:29 am

I'll probably end up getting a VGA-to-SCART converter - RetroRGB did a video recently praising one - until HD Retrovision releases their YPbPr cables since those use the composite signal and are this universally compatible.

Return to Game Rooms & Home Theater