Center Channel Speaker, Should I Upgrade?

Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
Ziggy

Center Channel Speaker, Should I Upgrade?

Post by Ziggy »

My HDTV setup has a 5.1 speaker system. The center channel speaker is one from an old Pioneer package surround sound system, from the early 2000's if I recall correctly. So not the greatest speaker ever made. The speaker housing is MDF at least, not plastic. It sounds OK, no distortion or anything like that. But I've always wondered if upgrading it would be worth it. Over the years, I've occasionally window shopped for center channel speakers and always find bold statements like "crystal-clear dialogue and a robust center image." Even the reviews by customers mention stuff like this. But the reviews never mention if it's an improvement over something, just that it sounds clear or this or that.

I guess I've been skeptical how much more clear voices could be. It's not like I can demo a speaker before buying it LOL. Looking at the cheaper ones that still seem to be worth it as an upgrade, I'd have to spend around $120 on one. But even as cheap as that is compared to other center channel speakers, I'd hate to spend that much money on one only to find out that it sounds more or less the same to what I've got now.

When the volume is up to what I consider "loud" I have no issues with the way my current center channel sounds, in regards to how clearly I can hear dialog. Although I have nothing to compare it against, it's the only center channel speaker I've ever owned. I should mention, if it matters, probably the largest percentage of time I'm watching TV it's at lower volumes. Even at lower volumes, I don't have an issue with how clear the voices are. I struggle with that typical late-night volume deal. Too loud during action scenes, then too low during exposition scenes. But that's not the speaker's fault.

So, what do you guys think? Would a new ($120-ish) center channel speaker be an improvement to what I've got now? Or would I be disappointed by how similar it sounds to what I have now?
marurun

Re: Center Channel Speaker, Should I Upgrade?

Post by marurun »

I can’t speak to how speaker technology has changed with materials science, but my guess would be that audio processing by home theater equipment probably plays a bigger role. Also, newer stuff isn’t necessarily built better unless you really pay for it.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

My gut tells me...probably an improvement. I'd wager that for $120, you could do better than a bundled center channel speaker from that era. Just make sure your receiver has the appropriate wattage to drive it.

Consider buying from Crutchfield. They have 60 day return policy and you can return for generally any reason. https://www.crutchfield.com/S-3SbF6GiNM ... turns.aspx However, they only have 2 or 3 center channel speakers in that price range at the moment.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Yep, Crutchfield is where I usually window shop! I'm looking at the Polk Audio TSi CS10.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107CS10B/ ... tml?tp=189

It has a 442 5-star review score. Also, looking at the customer photos, it's HUGE compared to my current center speaker. It has two 5.25" woofers. My current speaker is just single driver, something around 4 or 5 inches. I have it mounted on the wall above my TV. If i got this Polk Audio center speaker, I'd have to build a riser (not a big deal) for my TV so I could put the speaker under it! That wouldn't be the worst thing since the speaker height would be more level to my ears than it is now.