Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Re: Ziggy's (messy) 13" CRT Setup

by nightrnr Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:49 pm

Nice!
That almost reaches the level of my chaotic setups.
Not really though, yours is much more orderly, and most of of mine relies on S-video.

I do have a 9" TV that has a Famiclone and a Genesis 3 hooked up to (just composite). It looks kind of sad, as neither system has very good quality composite.

I did have a 13" TV I was using a few years back for SNES, but it died. A shame as the S-video looked really nice on it (and I almost never see S-video input on that small of TVs). That size really is handy.

I also have a 19" with component inputs that I am currently using with a Genesis 2 and a PC engine (both with the Terraonion options, so CD games capable).
The PC Engine is composite only at the moment. I need another Scart cable and switch box for that.
19" is often another handy size with a good compromise of hookup options and viewing area.

But I generally stick to 27" and 32" CRT's when I can. Again, S-video is my favorite and most convenient option for most of my consoles.

Maybe I'll post my current setups sometime if I can get them looking presentable.
...just another lost soul...
Note
Next-Gen

by Note Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:33 am

Nice setup, Ziggy! When I was young I did a ton of gaming on a 13" Zenith Space Command. I didn't know what the model name of that TV was until more recently, as our TV's cover over the menu buttons had broke off. If I ever saw this model TV in the wild, I'd definitely buy it again. It has a wood frame and just looks awesome, IMO. I think my parents tossed it while I was away at college, total bummer.

I currently have a 13" Sharp CRT around which was originally my sister's. While we were packing up my parents' home a few years ago she mentioned she was going to throw it out, so I decided to keep it.

I'm also interested in the gcompsw, but unsure of how I'd integrate it into my setup. I've seen some brackets for sale, so that it could be attached to the back (or side) of an entertainment center, but I'm not handy, so that'd be tough for me. Right now I have one mechanical switcher with 4 ports.

Also, your brother's paintings are awesome Ziggy! Somehow I missed that thread in the past. Is he still painting?
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:06 pm

Golgo 14 wrote:Ah, I never saw those. They're great!

Note wrote:Also, your brother's paintings are awesome Ziggy! Somehow I missed that thread in the past. Is he still painting?

Thanks. I really like them, too.

Technically, he is still painting. He currently owns an operates a painting business, houses and such. Unfortunately, he has no time for paintings. Which is a real shame.

fastbilly1 wrote:I love it. And that it slots into your shelving unit perfectly.

Growing up my family had an 8inch BW TV with a dead speaker that our NES was hooked up to for a long time. If I could ever find the same model I would buy it without hesitation and put it in my office.

Thanks. On that bookcase, the shelf that the TV is on is fixed, but all of the other shelves are adjustable. But 13" TVs fit in perfectly anywhere anyway!

Yeah, if you read my wall of text, my first TV that was my very own was a little B&W. I didn't care though, it was just awesome having a TV in my bedroom. It was a little lame having to watch color programs in black and white, but I especially loved when Nick At Night came on because most of those shows were in black and white anyway. :lol:

Nemoide wrote:Oh man, definitely a cool setup! I also used to play on a junky old 13-inch CRT and have some fond memories of those days.

It's funny. As I got older, I hated having to deal with such a small screen. But looking back on it now, yep, I definitely have fond memories of it!

BoneSnapDeez wrote:And cool setup Ziggy. Looks cozy.

Exactly, it's cozy! I mean, I still love my 27" CRTs. But sitting way up close to a 13", I don't know, there's just something awesome about it.

nightrnr wrote:Maybe I'll post my current setups sometime if I can get them looking presentable.

Do it, I'd love to see it! And FWIW as far as cables go... With HDTV and scalers, you need really good cables that are properly shielded. And short cable runs, and introducing switch boxes can add noise. But on analog CRTs, you don't have those issues. You can use whatever cheap "low quality" cable you want (as long as it's wired correctly) and it really wont make a difference.
Note wrote:Nice setup, Ziggy! When I was young I did a ton of gaming on a 13" Zenith Space Command. I didn't know what the model name of that TV was until more recently, as our TV's cover over the menu buttons had broke off. If I ever saw this model TV in the wild, I'd definitely buy it again. It has a wood frame and just looks awesome, IMO. I think my parents tossed it while I was away at college, total bummer.

I currently have a 13" Sharp CRT around which was originally my sister's. While we were packing up my parents' home a few years ago she mentioned she was going to throw it out, so I decided to keep it.

That's awesome, at least you have your sister's old TV. When I was in high school, a friend gave me his old 19" CRT, and I'm pretty sure I just tossed my 13". I mean, it really was never a great TV. But of COURSE I wish I had it now!

You know what though? The box for my 13" is still kicking around! So my first bedroom TV was a little black and white, but then I got a roughly 19" color TV from someone. I didn't have it very long. It was kind of junky, the picture was always wobbly lol. But it was bigger, and in color, so I just didn't care. When my family got their first computer, there was a deal where the computer came with a free TV. That TV was my 13" GE. I didn't want to downgrade from the 19", but my parents made me. They gave that 19" away to someone and made me take the 13". But in reality, even tho the screen was smaller, I was better off. That 19" didn't work right, and it was probably only a matter of time before it crapped out entirely. My 13" GE wasn't the greatest, but at least it never broke down.

Anyway, my family got that computer for Christmas. And then I got that 13" GE. There's this little ceramic Christmas tree that lights up, my Grandmother made it for my mother. So when my parents were packing up the Christmas tree decorations that year, it turns out that the box for my 13" GE was the perfect size for that ceramic tree. My parents have been using that box for that ceramic tree ever since then, and they still have it!
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:06 pm

This thread makes me happy. Thanks for sharing!
I'm looking forward to picking up some smaller units myself.
Thanks for the inspiration
marurun

by marurun Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:17 pm

Ziggy587 wrote:Do it, I'd love to see it! And FWIW as far as cables go... With HDTV and scalers, you need really good cables that are properly shielded. And short cable runs, and introducing switch boxes can add noise. But on analog CRTs, you don't have those issues. You can use whatever cheap "low quality" cable you want (as long as it's wired correctly) and it really wont make a difference.

Most of what I've read about HDMI cables is that they tend to either work or not. The digital signal isn't really prone to degradation. There's error correction along the signal path to minimize data corruption from interference. I can't speak to having a lot of splitters or image processors along the path, but in terms of cable quality, I'm using budget cables in all my setups and I have no problems with the cables. Yes, you do need to keep the cable runs from getting too long, but I don't know that any of us are likely to have a total signal path exceeding 25 ft, and the practical maximum is closer to 50 ft (between those ranges is where cable quality starts to matter more). Honestly, the bigger problem I've had from lower quality cables is when I've accidentally damaged the connectors because oops my cable wasn't long enough for my standing desk. And I find the opposite with analog cabling. Cheap cables are more likely to introduce interference and degrade the signal, as is having too many devices or connections along a signal path. My better quality AV and S-Video cables definitely can impact image quality on my CRT. That might be a lot harder to see on a 13" than a 27", however.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:40 pm

racketboy wrote:This thread makes me happy. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks! Are you're welcome!

marurun wrote:Most of what I've read about HDMI cables is that they tend to either work or not. The digital signal isn't really prone to degradation. There's error correction along the signal path to minimize data corruption from interference. I can't speak to having a lot of splitters or image processors along the path, but in terms of cable quality, I'm using budget cables in all my setups and I have no problems with the cables. Yes, you do need to keep the cable runs from getting too long, but I don't know that any of us are likely to have a total signal path exceeding 25 ft, and the practical maximum is closer to 50 ft (between those ranges is where cable quality starts to matter more). Honestly, the bigger problem I've had from lower quality cables is when I've accidentally damaged the connectors because oops my cable wasn't long enough for my standing desk. And I find the opposite with analog cabling. Cheap cables are more likely to introduce interference and degrade the signal, as is having too many devices or connections along a signal path. My better quality AV and S-Video cables definitely can impact image quality on my CRT. That might be a lot harder to see on a 13" than a 27", however.

So I was referencing nightrnr when he said he only has composite cables for his PCE. Yes, digital signals (such as HDMI) are either there or not and are not susceptible to the same kind of interference you can get with analog cables. But I was really talking about RGB cables. When you're using an upscaler, such as the Framemeister or OSSC, you need to be using cables that are shielded really well. Poorly shielded or unshielded cables can add noise to the picture. Even too long of a cable, or a poorly made switch box, can add noise. With these scalers, there's something about the process that just seems to amplify whatever noise might be there. But with a CRT, you don't have that problem. Even poorly shielded or unshielded RGB cables can still look good.

When I bought my first Bandridge switch box, the seller included a bunch of low quality RGB cables with a note for each one. His note for the Genesis 2 cable said that there was distortion and audio buzzing. When I first got my SSDS3, which uses the Genesis model 2 style cable, I used this supposedly bad cable for a while and had no issues with it. I eventually got a replacement from Retro Gaming Cables, which are pretty much the best cables you can get, and really didn't notice any difference. I have a BNC to SCART lead and two switch boxes with an unshielded cable linking them together. If I tried this same setup with my Framemeister, I'm sure I would get a ton of noise in the image. But on my PVM, everything looks great!
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
marurun

by marurun Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:15 pm

I clearly misread. The HD threw me off. Thanks for correcting me! RGB is not one of my areas of expertise.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:28 pm

Ziggy587 wrote:Yeah, if you read my wall of text, my first TV that was my very own was a little B&W. I didn't care though, it was just awesome having a TV in my bedroom. It was a little lame having to watch color programs in black and white, but I especially loved when Nick At Night came on because most of those shows were in black and white anyway. :lol:

If I am ever in New York for an extended time we gotta hang out. That is exactly what I did with our tv.
Note
Next-Gen

by Note Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:27 pm

Ziggy587 wrote:Anyway, my family got that computer for Christmas. And then I got that 13" GE. There's this little ceramic Christmas tree that lights up, my Grandmother made it for my mother. So when my parents were packing up the Christmas tree decorations that year, it turns out that the box for my 13" GE was the perfect size for that ceramic tree. My parents have been using that box for that ceramic tree ever since then, and they still have it!

That's an awesome story about how you received the newer TV. Even though it was smaller, it's cool that it was a new and better model. Before I had the 13" Zenith Space Command, I was gaming on an older Zenith. I believe it was from the 1970's. It had the two knobs on the side for the channel and tracking. It had some color issues though, I remember splotches of yellow and maybe green would appear sometimes. So, I was happy to get to use the Space Command, which I think had previously been in my dad's office in our apartment.

racketboy wrote:This thread makes me happy. Thanks for sharing!

Hope you're able to find a smaller CRT that fits your needs! Definitely share whenever you're able to pick up something.

Also, the article about your experience at the estate sale was really interesting. $10 is a steal for a CRT but I think I would have passed on it myself, as moving a TV that size would be a huge hassle and as you mentioned, that monitor and wood frame wouldn't fit well with my current setup.

A few years ago, I did see a 20" CRT curbside, which had a post-it note stating that it worked. I was walking to the train in my neighborhood and I regret not picking it up. Not that I needed another CRT, but just to prevent it from being tossed. I would've preferred to have given it to another gamer that needed one.
sevin0seven
Next-Gen

by sevin0seven Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:29 am

very nice setup Ziggy! its great to see you were able to find a good spot for your 13" sony crt tv... mine is just stuck in the storage :lol: i should probably do the same and find a nice bookshelf.
Visit my stores: Mercari Store, sevin0seven RacketBoy Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
Return to Game Rooms & Home Theater