HDMI to S-VIdeo Converter ?

Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
nightrnr
Next-Gen

HDMI to S-VIdeo Converter ?

Post by nightrnr »

Hey, not sure where else to ask this, but I thought I might get most advice here.

I'm looking for a decent HDMI to S-video converter (to use on a CRT). mostly it would be for Bluray player and mini classic systems. Any reccomendations?

I'm thinking of between these 2 (the Tendak and Wiistar brands look identical to me (sorry, no direct pics, besides the Amazon links).

If there's something better or more reliable, I'm open to other options.

https://www.amazon.com/Tendak-Composite ... B00V2ULFAQ

https://www.amazon.com/Composite-S-Vide ... B01D4LM6MQ
...just another lost soul...
Ziggy

Re: HDMI to S-VIdeo Converter ?

Post by Ziggy »

I'd be interested to hear of a decent one as well.

This one from J-Tech looks decent, but it looks like they don't make it anymore. They have an HDMI to Composite (no S-Video) that's super cheap though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnx_8dAewdA

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GG1ZHBE?th=1
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

It's got to be S-video for me (for various reasons). I mean, I suppose I have a powered A/V switch that could potentially make that work with, but feeding something through 2 converters sounds like a recipe for lag and other glitchy problems.

I may just get the Tendak one, as it seems to have a slightly better reputation. It is more, but I want it to last of at all possible (everything else has reviews that make me leary of a purchase).

Thanks, I'll let you know how it goes.

Still open to suggestions if anyone else is in the know.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I only have one of those super-cheap "Mini HDMI2AV" which only outputs composite in NTSC or PAL. It works, but I can't say it's especially good. I know Altona makes the AT-HD530 HDMI to Composite & S-Video, but having another of their products, I'm not very impressed with their scaling engine, or how it handles over/under scan.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Going backwards when HDMI is so prevalent is a really niche market. It stand to reason that options would be either kind of pricey or a cheapo garbage cable.
Add the need for S-video and we're getting into eccentric hobbyist territory.

I did order the (relatively) better Tendak one, as I foresee getting a lot of use out of it the next several years.

Just got an At games Flashback Legends from a thrift store (super cheap) that I can only see playing around with on an older TV.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I've looked into properly downscaling 720p or 1080p back into not-blurry & shimmering sd RGB output, and concluded that it's actually better to tweak emulation on a relatively cheap machine, or go direct with FPGA through Mister project than to try to get any semblance of good video from HD back to SD. The options I have were only semi-successful, and cost way too much. I basically never use them, even tho with the right chain, and enough hours, I might be able to theoretically get a clean good signal with only minimal interference, and low lag. When I tried to interface my nephew's Switch with this setup. I was really disappointed with the output of games that should've been downgradable to 480p or 240p. Every time it was a mess and I ended up playing them in HD rather than pull my hair out over my failed attempt at downscaling by chaining my best scalers and transcoders together. It was a total fail.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Eh, if my converter works only with watching Bluray discs on an older TV, I'll still be happy. Hooking up the mini systems was just a bonus thought (but one I'm totally going to try out).

The reviews seem promising though, and my expectations are mild.
I think that it will suit my needs. It arrives tomorrow...
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Okay, so I had a chance to try it out.
This was after they sent me the wrong one (sent an AVtoHDMI, but now I have a correct HDMItoAV).

Not too shabby actually, it does the main function well enough. I can watch bluray in my CRT now, and I'm happy with the image.

Also tried it with my ATgames Flashback Legends mini system (hey, I got it super cheap). It doesn't have the option for fullscreen (and neither does the video converter), so the games are more or less square, not 4:3 . Not too bad, but slightly disappointing. Also put the scanlines option on, just to see, and what a mess; that only works in high def.
On the plus side, I didn't notice any additional lag (the flashback has a tiny amount on its own, but not enough to throw me off).

A scaling feature is my one lacking option, but most devices has its own setting anyway.

Not sure what else I'll set up with this (maybe the Genesis, NES, or PlayStation mini). I ordered a 3-way HDMI splitter, so no more than 2 more besides bluray.

Sorry, no pics at the moment.
If this Tendak converter lasts me, I found what I needed.