Is this the only legit reason so go disk only? (Tiny house)

Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
Blu
Next-Gen

Re: Is this the only legit reason so go disk only? (Tiny hou

Post by Blu »

I don't know if this is something that you'd be willing to do, but I'd love to see how the build goes and what you ultimately come up with. I like cool design projects like this, along with intentionally designed homes.

I have toyed with the idea of trimming down just to cart games, and use a softmodded Wii / Wii U with hard drive to cover a lot of Nintendo's Gamecube and Wii library. I'd likely keep my Genesis, SNES, Dreamcast, and probably PS1.
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

Post by SuperDerpBro »

I might be willing to share, depending on how nice it works out. There are tons of elegant tiny homes on YouTube. Mine will be really bare bones and "manly" lol. I like plain shit. Metal and wood. And i'm single now so i don't have to worry about any decor. I have some (couple years) construction experience in framing. My brother is also a journeyman framer. But neither of us have any xp in finishing. We will have to level up as we go! heh. I have about 37k saved up and i am still in the brainstorming phase.

I mostly can't wait to stop paying rent. My parents have a ton of acreage in the Gulf Islands where i can live for free. I might even be able to build a small storage shed and not have to give up anything! hah

Cheers

EDIT: I will be basing a lot of it on this dude's build. But with more game shit and less off the grid hippy stuff, haha https://youtu.be/VckbqU4kK2I
Child owned from a INTERNET GAS filled home.
Blu
Next-Gen

Post by Blu »

That's really awesome. Yeah the Vancouver area is pretty pricey as far as Canada goes. At least that's what I've heard anyways. I do like that channel, and it's cool some of the designs that people come up with.

I'll keep an eye on the thread when it gets closer to building. Thanks!
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

SuperDerpBro wrote:
samsonlonghair wrote:I live in a small cottage - about 500 square feet. I keep my video games and movies in plastic sliding drawers made by Rubbermaid, sterilite, et cetera. These drawers are usually stackable. They also fit nicely under a bed. The tricky part is to find drawers tall enough to stand a dvd case on its spine. I usually grab a dvd when I’m in the store just to test the drawer size.

Interesting. What i am going to be building will be around 400. Likely less. But in a rectangle shape (because trailer) not a square. This needs to include kitchen/bathroom/bedroom/livingroom. How many games do you have in yours?

I'll be honest with you, here. I've thought about how to answer your question. I'm embarrassed to admit that I really don't know how many games I own. My gut says several hundred, but less than a thousand. I really need to catalog my collection.

SuperDerpBro wrote:I might be willing to share, depending on how nice it works out. There are tons of elegant tiny homes on YouTube. Mine will be really bare bones and "manly" lol. I like plain shit. Metal and wood. And i'm single now so i don't have to worry about any decor. I have some (couple years) construction experience in framing. My brother is also a journeyman framer. But neither of us have any xp in finishing. We will have to level up as we go! heh. I have about 37k saved up and i am still in the brainstorming phase.

I mostly can't wait to stop paying rent. My parents have a ton of acreage in the Gulf Islands where i can live for free. I might even be able to build a small storage shed and not have to give up anything! hah

Cheers

EDIT: I will be basing a lot of it on this dude's build. But with more game shit and less off the grid hippy stuff, haha https://youtu.be/VckbqU4kK2I

I'm impressed that you're going to build your own home. I've looked into it several times. You're in a good place if you already have framing experience. Trim work doesn't look too hard; it's probably just a matter of practice. You might want to consider building on a permanent foundation instead of a trailer.

I've watched quite a few of those tiny homes videos. The homes themselves are charming, but the people who live in these homes strike me as a little aggravating. Some of them come across as spoiled rich kids who live in their parents back yard and play at poverty. I'm not talking about you, just some of the ones I see on youtube.

My cottage was built by the railroad company in 1920, so it's exactly 100 years old. You might call it a "company house" in the sense that the railroad company built many identical houses at the same time to house all their employees. If you drive around Newport News, you could probably spot dozens of houses that look just like mine. Crazy that so many are still standing a hundred years later. My house doesn't seem like an incredibly expensive build. For instance, the interior walls are mostly hollow. Maybe the railroad company just figured out a method to build them good and sturdy without spending more than they need. Railroads are good at that kind of logistic planning. I feel confident in saying that 500 square feet feels like just the right size for a single man with no children. I spend most of the Summer outside anyway.

I have a reprint of an old Sears & Roebuck catalog from back in the day. You could basically buy all the supplies to build a house straight out of the catalog. Sears & Roebuck would ship you the whole kit with all the boards already cut to the exact size and marked. It was like a grownup lego house.

There are sellers on Amazon like "Allwood" who sell similar kits today.
https://www.amazon.com/Allwood-Avalon-C ... 87&sr=8-10
https://www.amazon.com/Allwood-Timberli ... 087&sr=8-7
I don't see any reviews on these, but they look nice. They probably don't come with the trim, or the electric/plumbing. Maybe if you call up the company and talk to someone they could tell you whether or not they can help you.
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

Post by SuperDerpBro »

Not being permanent is kinda the point. Less "government" shit to worry about. Plus you can.. move it! Just hook it up to my truck and off i go. hehe

I've also watched quite a few of those tiny homes videos. The majority of the people REALLY bug me as well. They all seem so pretentious. My parents ARE rich, lol. But i am not spoiled, sadly! They live in the nicest condo building in my city and i live in the cheapest apartment building in the worst part of town, lol. The worst part of town here is really nice though.

Your cottage sounds really cool. I did toy with the idea of turning a large shed into a home. Or buying a prebuilt one, and modding it. I think the tiny house on wheels suits me best. That or i have thought about building a box truck into a stealth home and having the option of traveling in it.
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

What's the advantage of a tiny house compared to a large camper? I've never researched it; I imagine they'd function the same way if you're going for a mobile set-up?
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

Post by SuperDerpBro »

Customization (Big one)
Quality of building materials used
Quality of insulation
Quality of appliances
Quality of plumming, heating, electrical.. ect
Feels like a home, not a camper
Look nicer (some new campers are OK)
I'm 6'4" so i can build to my size (including a raised kitchen counter, SO looking forward to this)
You can be annoying a pretentious on YouTube! LOL

Prob more i cant think of on the spot.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Its the customization. When you buy a camper thats it, and if you try to get one customized youll be dropping over 100k on it most of the time. And yeah they will always feel like a camper and rarely a loft. I know a guy who bought an 80s camper, gutted it and rebuilt it to feel homely but he had the camper to begin with.

Good luck on the tiny home project. In 2012 I moved into a 300sq foot house and learned that while I like the concept of a tiny house, it is unlikely I will live in one fulltime again. 3/4 size fridge and living an hour from the closest grocery store was a problem then, I cant imagine doing it this year. But I also didnt live in it with all my stuff, I only had my Saturn, Wii, and gaming pc. I put my discs in these:
https://www.amazon.com/Bellagio-Italia- ... B001GJOYZ6
And they fit on a bookcase we had in the bedroom with a small collection of books and boardgames.
Blu
Next-Gen

Post by Blu »

I think we've toyed with the idea of a tiny house. We stayed at one a few years back in the mountains of North Carolina. It was fun and comfortable for a short stay. It's nice to have the necessities, a home base, and not much excess.

I think for our own home (whenever we purchase it) will be modest. Simply enough space for my wife and I, kids, and emphasizing a large yard / garden area where we can be outside for as much as possible. A little game nook / loft will be a bonus, haha.