Is this the only legit reason so go disk only? (Tiny house)

Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

Is this the only legit reason so go disk only? (Tiny house)

Post by SuperDerpBro »

I've saved up and will be building, and moving into, a tiny house this summer. Instead of dedicating a huge portion of the space to games, i think i will be selling all but my absolute favorite pre-HDMI games. For the last year or so now i have been doing all of my pre-HDMI gaming on a purpose built PC. I was using a DELL micro PC but it just didn't cut it for GC/PS2. I ended up building a PC completely out of spare parts i had laying around (i5-4690 / r7 265 / 16GB). I haven't found a supported GC/Wii/PS2 game that i cant play upscaled to at least 1080p with that. Finally got around to beating Super Mario Sunshine! At 4k and proper widescreen to boot, haha. I do need to find an old ITX board and case to make it bit smaller than a mid tower though, hehe. Anyways.. that still leaves me with hundreds of post-HDMI discs. Trying to decide between building dedicated shelves into the walls (could be cool if done right, i guess) or just ditching the cases and putting the discs into poly cases. I could put the unused cases in storage but don't really want to pay for it. I also don't really have anyone i could ask to let them stay over at their place either. Few games? Yea. But hundreds? Pretty big ask. Parents climate controlled garage might have worked, but they recently sold their place and moved into a condo.

They would all fit into a bunch of shoe box sized boxes/totes pretty easy in those.

^I'd likely do it a bit less "girly" than that and would probably need many more totes. heh.^

Going forward, i'm still not really sure if i'm cool with just digital only. I only have 86 games in Steam (few more in other launchers) and every time i look at them i hate that none are physical. Strange that i do not feel the same way about movies, or music. I do not sub to any streaming services, but stream my own media VIA my NAS/PLEX box to my various devices. I only have 13 actual Blurays on my shelf (And i only bought them to rip for a private movie ripping group i belong to). Doesn't bother me in the slightest. LOL.

I am leaning towards keeping everything and just making every inch of the walls that are not the kitchen, bedroom loft, or bathroom completely shelves, haha. It's only going to be a few meters wide though. Shelves would eat that up a bit. Could start to look really cluttered too. I don't really want to live in something like an old used book store with shelves everywhere you look, heh. There are a lot of clever ways to build storage into these small spaces, but im going to need that storage for normal human things.

Thoughts?

Cheers.
Child owned from a INTERNET GAS filled home.
opa
128-bit

Re: Is this the only legit reason so go disk only? (Tiny hou

Post by opa »

I suppose the biggest downside to this is losing the resale value of your games. If you're not going to sell them ever then it doesn't matter because you only really need the game disc any way.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Seems to me like trying to maintain a collection like that is counter to the mentality of minimalism that'd serve as the impetus for a Tiny House. At some point, it's not even going to be a matter of the discs - you could fit plenty of those into a single drawer. It'd devalue your collection a lot, but keeping the media isn't that hard. What might be is keeping all the hardware that'd play them, if not an AV setup worth doing so to boot. You're probably looking at what, 4-5 consoles, plus their accessories? When you're talking about (essentially) moving into the square footage of a single room, that'll be hard to fit unless the entire structure is designed around it. Seems to me that if you intend to keep console gaming, cutting down to one machine with a digital library would fit the trend a lot more.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Time to explore custom shelving and lots of wall-mounting.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

Post by SuperDerpBro »

isiolia wrote:Seems to me like trying to maintain a collection like that is counter to the mentality of minimalism that'd serve as the impetus for a Tiny House. At some point, it's not even going to be a matter of the discs - you could fit plenty of those into a single drawer. It'd devalue your collection a lot, but keeping the media isn't that hard. What might be is keeping all the hardware that'd play them, if not an AV setup worth doing so to boot. You're probably looking at what, 4-5 consoles, plus their accessories? When you're talking about (essentially) moving into the square footage of a single room, that'll be hard to fit unless the entire structure is designed around it. Seems to me that if you intend to keep console gaming, cutting down to one machine with a digital library would fit the trend a lot more.

The setup will be a structure that is designed around it. :). That part i'm very much willing to deal with. My 55inch OLED is coming for sure (unless the 46s FINALLY COME OUT! LOOKING AT YOU LG!). Consoles, and a couple PCs, will go below it. Something like an Ikea Kallax will be built. But each square will have one more shelve. I mean, i have 8 consoles on my desk with me as i type this. Not really that much room taken up if you consider what each one of them offers. I will probably end up using this space of the house as my main PC too. Just couch PC like i do in bed with my old 65in TV, hehe. I just took a look at all my post-HDMI games. I have close to 500. I think if i am clever i could fit them all above the couch across from where my TV will be. I'm just struggling with the idea of "Should i?" lol.

marurun wrote:Time to explore custom shelving and lots of wall-mounting.

Yea, i just dont want to make such a small space feel "closed off."
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

I have a large DVD collection that I store in an unconventional method. For a case, I use a DJ flight case, which are designed to hold CDs for DJs who are traveling internationally. They come in a variety of sizes and are sturdy, so they should keep your discs safe. Within that case, I know some folks use plastic sleeves (which are sometimes included in cases), but I prefer tyvek, which is archival safe and won't scratch the discs. Either way, I'd recommend sleeves over plastic cases for additional space-saving. (Also since my tyvek sleeves are opaque, I label each sleeve with a label printer and store them in alphabetical order.)

I take the art (and any pamphlets that might have come with the movie) and put it in a file folder which goes in an archival storage box. Then I toss the case.

I don't really care about the plastic case for DVDs & blu-rays, I just want the disc and the art. The amount of space I save is TREMENDOUS. I'm personally hesitant to do that for video games because so many games come in special non-standard cases and I'd be afraid I might not be able to find, say, green Xbox cases or memory-card-holding PS2 cases if I ever change my mind about my storage technique. But honestly, the cases aren't that big a deal, so you could probably just emulate my technique. I hope it helps and wish you luck!
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

I live in a small cottage - about 500 square feet. I keep my video games and movies in plastic sliding drawers made by Rubbermaid, sterilite, et cetera. These drawers are usually stackable. They also fit nicely under a bed. The tricky part is to find drawers tall enough to stand a dvd case on its spine. I usually grab a dvd when I’m in the store just to test the drawer size.
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

Post by SuperDerpBro »

Nemoide wrote:I have a large DVD collection that I store in an unconventional method. For a case, I use a DJ flight case, which are designed to hold CDs for DJs who are traveling internationally. They come in a variety of sizes and are sturdy, so they should keep your discs safe. Within that case, I know some folks use plastic sleeves (which are sometimes included in cases), but I prefer tyvek, which is archival safe and won't scratch the discs. Either way, I'd recommend sleeves over plastic cases for additional space-saving. (Also since my tyvek sleeves are opaque, I label each sleeve with a label printer and store them in alphabetical order.)

I take the art (and any pamphlets that might have come with the movie) and put it in a file folder which goes in an archival storage box. Then I toss the case.

I don't really care about the plastic case for DVDs & blu-rays, I just want the disc and the art. The amount of space I save is TREMENDOUS. I'm personally hesitant to do that for video games because so many games come in special non-standard cases and I'd be afraid I might not be able to find, say, green Xbox cases or memory-card-holding PS2 cases if I ever change my mind about my storage technique. But honestly, the cases aren't that big a deal, so you could probably just emulate my technique. I hope it helps and wish you luck!

I have toyed with the idea of keeping the art. Normally i hate sleeve cases. Never heard of the tyvek ones. I'll have to look into that.

samsonlonghair wrote:I live in a small cottage - about 500 square feet. I keep my video games and movies in plastic sliding drawers made by Rubbermaid, sterilite, et cetera. These drawers are usually stackable. They also fit nicely under a bed. The tricky part is to find drawers tall enough to stand a dvd case on its spine. I usually grab a dvd when I’m in the store just to test the drawer size.

Interesting. What i am going to be building will be around 400. Likely less. But in a rectangle shape (because trailer) not a square. This needs to include kitchen/bathroom/bedroom/livingroom. How many games do you have in yours?
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I toyed with the idea of taking games out of the cases and throwing those in a box in the loft, and using something like one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Blu-Ray-Disc-Med ... 00CF3PZQO/

I haven't done it, though. There may be cheaper alternatives, as well.
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

Post by SuperDerpBro »

Wow, i haven't seen one of those since like 2000 hehe. I feel like they would have a high chance of getting knocked over and fucking up multiple discs. More so if there are stack able ones.