All the work is done; the setup is now complete

Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
MrPopo

All the work is done; the setup is now complete

Post by MrPopo »

A couple months ago I moved into a new house in Southern California, having moved here back in November. The first thing I knew I needed to do was get a new setup for my games and consoles going. At my last house I had these cheap Ikea shelves that I knew I needed to replace at some point, so I used the move as an excuse to force myself to do something nice. The last of it got installed last week and today I got the TV mounted.

I've got all my non NES/SMS consoles hooked up to my TV with some switches and an XRGB-3. When I commissioned the work on the shelving I took the time to measure out everything and the designer I worked with make sure that there would be enough room for everything. By having some holes in the back of the shelves all the cords stay pretty organized; it's not nearly the crazy rats nest that the old setup was.

The side cabinet has the modern consoles, since those all are wireless. That way I've got everything that needs cords easy to access and not having to keep a door open. The 360 is the exception; the one between the Wii and the Gamecube is my Japanese one that only has component out, so I grouped it with the rest of my component consoles so I wouldn't have to run a cord a super long distance.

My old house also had a nice wall of shelves for the games, but they were more minimalist (which matched the aesthetic of the room). Now I've got these nice built ins that have room for displaying my CEs and tons of space for my games; there's still two empty shelves worth of room on the bottom.

One of the things that sold me on this house was the bonus room the owners had added on some number of years back. It is perfect for my arcade machines. At the last house there was room for them, but they were cramped up against each other and the couch was butted up against the bars of the Pump machine. Now I've got a proper setup that looks very attractive.

And at request, here are shots of my office. Originally the room was a bedroom, but when they built the addition they removed the window and kept the space; the mom then could easily keep track of kids in the bonus room while she worked. The bookshelves on the left were already in place when I purchased the house, and it was one of the things I was most excited about (since it was missing from the listing). Right before I accepted the job offer that moved me out here I was talking with contractors in regards to getting similar shelving put up at my last house. The guy who did my living room setup also did the matching bookshelf on the right, and it's pretty hard to tell that they weren't installed at the same time.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Re: All the work is done; the setup is now complete

Post by Jmustang1968 »

Very imprrssive, love the shelving.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Scrolling through the first few pictures and I'm like "oh that's nice!" then I get to the arcade cabinets and a wicked grin grows on my face :lol:
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

Nicely done! I love the Kirby blanket a lot. Also having the consoles behind door is a good idea so that it keeps the dust at bay.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

casterofdreams wrote:Nicely done! I love the Kirby blanket a lot.

Ha! I didn't notice the Kirby blanket -- that's pretty sweet
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

The cables make your TV look like it is raising its arms
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

racketboy wrote:
casterofdreams wrote:Nicely done! I love the Kirby blanket a lot.

Ha! I didn't notice the Kirby blanket -- that's pretty sweet

I got that from a Child's Play charity auction a few years ago; my cats like napping on it.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

My cats love that material. I always find one on blankets like that.
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Post by laurenhiya21 »

Really nice, popo! I do remember how cramped your old setup was. Do you have your books all set up too? (if I remember correctly you had a lot of books and manga at your old place)