Maybe the Best thing you can do for your Dreamcast...

Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
Sarge
Next-Gen

Re: Maybe the Best thing you can do for your Dreamcast...

Post by Sarge »

samsonlonghair wrote:I recently found a similar Bravia at a thrift store. Mine is model # KDL-32S3000. I love all the ports: composite, s-video, component, VGA, and HDMI. That's practically every type of input I could ask for. I have not noticed very much input lag in mine at all. It's a 720p display, so maybe that's why the input lag isn't so bad, you know? Lower resolution means less upscaling, right? I'm going to have to get myself a VGA box for my dreamcast sometime soon to see how well it works.

That is probably a slighter later model of my own. Mine is a KDL-32S2010. Also a 720p set. And I really think the reason the input lag is so much better is that they did a lot less post-processing on that set. It has a lot of options to mess with the image, but pretty much all of them can be disabled.

EDIT: Looks like that set also has an extra HDMI input over mine. That's a good TV for sure.
artphotodude
8-bit

Post by artphotodude »

Just occurred to me that this would likely be GREAT to for Naomi or AtomisWave boards- since they also have VGA out.
"You wouldn't have won if we'd beaten you"
— Yogi Berra
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Post by CD AGES »

While i'm still more partial towards outputing Dreamcast with a pure VGA analog signal, i do conceed the convenience of using HDMI, especially these days, with more modern sets abandoning the VGA input.

I've been using this new product from Pound tech. which is a VGA to HDMI converter cable all rolled into one. It's nicely priced and works very well for me personally. Use it quite a bit on my Hori PS4 HD travel monitor on the go.
Attachments
20180617_031430 1.jpg
20180617_031430 1.jpg (37.9 KiB) Viewed 22212 times
20180617_025203 2.jpg
20180617_025203 2.jpg (25.95 KiB) Viewed 22212 times
ESauced
64-bit

Post by ESauced »

And here I thought the best thing you could do for your Dreamcast involved a hot oil massage, a few candles and some soft music.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

ESauced wrote:And here I thought the best thing you could do for your Dreamcast involved a hot oil massage, a few candles and some soft music.

Oh, thank god! I'm so glad I'm not the only person who does this--.

Also, on the video front, I like my Toro (actually Hanzo + Kenzei, in my case) and Framemeister setup, but I can understand how the Framemeister is a bit prohibitive for most. The Toro, though, is the perfect thing for getting the best picture out of the Dreamcast through a single cable, regardless of whether the game supports VGA or not. The built in scan line generator is kind of a cool bonus, too.