Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
racketboy
Site Admin

Recommendations for HDMI Splitter for additional Inputs?

by racketboy Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:34 pm

Does anyone have solid recommendations for an HDMI Switch for some consoles? Maxed out my receiver inputs prefer to be inexpensive but not too cheap...

Now that I have my Super NT Mini, I'm maxed out my receiver inputs. I also have a PS3, 360, a Dreamcast (w/ VGA to HDMI adapter) and an Apple TV (the most used device in that room currently).

I mainly want something reliable and won't die after a year (like I read in a lot of Amazon reviews). Remote of some sort would be preferred.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Re: Recommendations for HDMI Splitter for additional Inputs?

by Anapan Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:41 am

I used the "VHD Prosumer UltraHD HDMI True Matrix 4x2" (VHD-PRO4x2i) for over a year.
It does have some quirks, but the main problem I have with it is it uses the same IR codes (slightly offset) as the XRGB-Mini Framemeister. Any input from either remote messes up the other.

Foil flaps made from electrical tape over the UR receiver got tedious.
I'll send it cheap - PM me.

I found a new, better matrix switch - 6 input & a new manufacturer with great reviews:
HDMI 6x2 Matrix 4Kx2K 3D ARC PIP

Same hardware chipset - same problems, but this one is actually much better overall. It really does do what it claims. It just shouldn't be combined with a framemeister.
I think I will have to go with Genfen, but I can't resist the allure of the cheaper alternative.
If you do not have a Framemester, or are willing to make foil flaps for the IR input, PM me to get a good 4x2 matrix switch - cost of shipping from BC, Canada.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

by Jmustang1968 Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:56 am

I have this one and it works well:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01BV1XB ... p_mb_pd_t1

4x1 with remote. Not suoer fancy, but gets the job done.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:05 pm

I've been using these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015 ... UTF8&psc=1

They auto switch based on seeing a signal coming into the input (though there also is the option to use a remote to manually switch) and I haven't had any problems with them. It just means that my PC needs to be on a dedicated HDMI input, as it'll always be generating a signal.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:40 pm

Jmustang1968 wrote:I have this one and it works well:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01BV1XB ... p_mb_pd_t1

4x1 with remote. Not suoer fancy, but gets the job done.

OK so I bought this one and still having troubles. My Gamecube with GCHD adapter works fine on it, but my 360 and SuperNT doesn't show up on the screen.
The switch shows that that HDMI input is active but it never shows a picture. I tried manually switching, but no luck. Gamecube works every time though.

I also tried on of these, but it didn't work at all.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0746 ... UTF8&psc=1

I had lower expectations on that one as cheaper and didn't have active power supply.

I have a nice Onxyo receiver, but only has 4 HDMI inputs...
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

by Jmustang1968 Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:42 pm

Thats strange, I have a Super NT as well, and I use it on that switch as well as retron 5 and my switch. No issues. Sometimes it is a little slow to pop up, but hasnt not worked yet...
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:44 pm

Hmm. Can you think of any little oddities or rituals to keep in mind or try? Something that maybe I’m just not doing right?
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

by Jmustang1968 Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:53 pm

Well I will flip through the inputs... but thats usually because I cant remember which each port they were plugged into... I do have mine going to an AV receiver and then to tv.
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:13 pm

Jmustang1968 wrote:Well I will flip through the inputs... but thats usually because I cant remember which each port they were plugged into... I do have mine going to an AV receiver and then to tv.

Yeah that's my setup too. I suppose I could test it on my upstairs receiver, but that wouldn't ultimate help me.
The interesting thing is that when I turned on my Gamecube, it automatically switched to the proper input.
And it seemed to switch the indicator light to the right input for both the SuperNT and 360 -- just no picture to match. I did wait a bit...
And just to confirm, I tested both consoles connected direct to receiver and they were fine without the switch in between.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

by Jmustang1968 Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:22 pm

I suppose you may have just received a faulty one... Should be able to get it replaced through amazon.
Return to Game Rooms & Home Theater