Portable MP3 player suggestions

Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Portable MP3 player suggestions

Post by fastbilly1 »

Years ago I had an iPod but hate Itunes. So I upgraded a few times and eventually ended up with a Sansa Clip Zip. I stopped using it when I bought a smart phone with an sd slot, and now it doesnt read on a pc and is having battery problems. I now spend some time where I cannot take a telephone, but I can take a MP3 player that does not have a camera or audio recorder in it.

So any suggestions for a dedicated portable mp3 player? I am interested in the Pyle PDAP18BK but do not necessarily need lossless, and I would love to get away for under $50 if possible.
marurun

Re: Portable MP3 player suggestions

Post by marurun »

I have tried looking into this and, put simple, pretty much anything that's cheap and dedicated to MP3s is cheap crap, as far as I can tell. It's all been relegated to cheap no-brand stuff. There are some high-end dedicated players, and then there are smart phones. The iPod Shuffle was only discontinued just this past summer, so you could probably still dig one of those up. My understanding is that for the money they reproduce audio rather well.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

That is what I am starting to learn. I just really hate iTunes, it does not work with me, but I might have to bite the bullet.
marurun

Post by marurun »

iTunes did get a hair leaner recently. All the apps stuff was moved out of it, for instance.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

Post by SamuraiMegas »

i actually recommend getting an older phone for this, i had a touch screen phone that had a slide out keyboard. it was like in between a smart/ flip phone and it supported MP3s and it also had a pretty nice battery. plus, you can call 911 with it if you ever need it
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

SamuraiMegas wrote:i actually recommend getting an older phone for this, i had a touch screen phone that had a slide out keyboard. it was like in between a smart/ flip phone and it supported MP3s and it also had a pretty nice battery. plus, you can call 911 with it if you ever need it

Cannot use a phone - no camera or mic due to the secure nature of the office.

Xeogred wrote:Might be useful:
<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=51693</span>

Much appreciated. Now I feel like an idiot since this is not that old of a topic... And it looks like a iPod Photo + Rockbox is the most likely way of doing it.
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

Post by SamuraiMegas »

fastbilly1 wrote:
SamuraiMegas wrote:i actually recommend getting an older phone for this, i had a touch screen phone that had a slide out keyboard. it was like in between a smart/ flip phone and it supported MP3s and it also had a pretty nice battery. plus, you can call 911 with it if you ever need it

Cannot use a phone - no camera or mic due to the secure nature of the office.

Xeogred wrote:Might be useful:
<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=51693</span>

Much appreciated. Now I feel like an idiot since this is not that old of a topic... And it looks like a iPod Photo + Rockbox is the most likely way of doing it.

oh duh, totally skimmed past that. ipod nano would probably be your best bet then, yeah.
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
ApolloBoy
128-bit

Post by ApolloBoy »

An old iPod with Rockbox loaded on it is a good choice too.
Own: 2600, 2DS, 2DS XL, 360 S, 5200, 7800, 800, 800XL, AES, Amiga 600, C64, C64C, CV, DC, Duo-R, GB, GBA, GBA SP, GBC, GBP, Genesis 2, GG, JP SMS, Lynx, Mark III, Mega CD II, MD, MSX2+, N64, NES, NES top loader, Nomad, PCE, PSX, PS2, RetroUSB AVS, SAT, SFC, SG-1000 II, SMS, SNES mini, Switch, TE, Twin Fami, VIC-20, Wii, XEGS
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

If you end up getting an old iPod, you can use other media players like MediaMonkey and Songbird to manage it instead of iTunes.

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/29716/h ... your-ipod/
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|