How many of you are actually still using CRT TVs?

Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
Ziggy

Re: How many of you are actually still using CRT TVs?

Post by Ziggy »

Jagosaurus wrote:most modern TVs won't accept 240p over component.

But this is the CRT thread!

Jagosaurus wrote:Also, a small set of PS1 games don't work on PS2. I ran into PO'ed as one of those for example. It's a very small set (5 to 10 games IIRC).

It depends which model PS2 you're using. Some PS2 Slim models have worse compatibility, even with some PS2 games! You can find a list here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_P ... yStation_2
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I was actually amazed that one of my brother's TVs - a 1080i plasma has no problem accepting 240p component with very little lag. No corners to be seen - everything's just up-blurred, but the picture isn't unacceptable - every pixel is properly rendered and it passed all the 240p test suite challenges.
I've been planning to order him a RAD2X cable, but they're all sold out. For now he says he's perfectly happy with one of the unbranded RGB SCART to Component transcoders I had laying around.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

My 1080p Samsung LCD has no problem with 240p, I never measured the lag but it seems to be decent. But I don't like retro gaming on it. I do like using it for my Wii and PS2 though, and they both have the odd 240p scenario, so it's great that it works.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

Markies wrote:Apparently, if you know the Capacitor and know how Solder, it's a really simple process. So, test our your Solders and replace any that have gone bad.

And of course, I turn on my TV today and everything is back to normal. No lines or fold-over whatsoever. I'm assuming I'm still going to need to do it in the future, but for now, I'm just going to praise my good luck. I did talk to the guy and he would be willing to do it for $100. It was just figuring out how to move it up to him...

Guess what came back? My RGB Horizontal lines.

With me being home most of the week, I'm using that TV more. Back in February, when this first started happening, I was playing a ton of games on it.

It only shows up when I start it up and then eventually moves to the top and basically disappears. I think I'm going to still call the guy and see if I can get it fixed.

It's just a mammoth TV to move for such a small fix. But, I don't think the problem is fixing itself, so I better do it now while I have the time.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Couple pages back I posted some SNES RGB pics. Thought I'd share some PS1 s video pics. I'm going to upgrade her to RGB SCART soon, but until then still looking pretty solid...

Hard to get a good pic, but this is:

PS1 240p s-video > XRGB3 > line doubled to 480p > 640x480p output > VGA > GW VX765 VGA CRT

Ziggy587 wrote:
Jagosaurus wrote:most modern TVs won't accept 240p over component.

But this is the CRT thread!

True good sir. I'm happy to be back in the CRT club.

Even then, I'm enjoying the XRGB3 allows me to hook up to modern TVs as well. As someone who has never owned an OSSC, Tink 2x, or Framemeister... it's not as nice as the CRT... but pretty dang cool to see retro material (esp 240p) properly handled, scaled and displayed over HDMI (well DVI to HDMI in my case).

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

I called around and all of the TV Repair places in my area no longer work on CRT Televisions. Even ones that claimed to work on them have stopped working on them in the past year or so.

Since the issue isn't that big and goes away rather quickly, I'm just going to run it until it dies. I have a friend who can do some board and solder work, so if it gets work, I can always talk to him about it.

Also, I just checked Craigslist and there are a few options in my area if I wanted one. Also, if I wanted to pay hundreds of dollars, I could buy some really nice CRT's off of eBay.

So, even though Repair shops might be closed, I should have enough resources to last me for quite a while.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Free curbside pickup :D on this 27" Samsung CRT model # TXM2790F. It's a SD Samsung Dyna Flat. Very similar to my 27 inch RCA Tru Flat I let go of (and ended up regretting some time later).

Complete with 2 composite inputs, 1 component input (tested for 480i & 240p but no 480p), & headphone jack. I like the aesthetics & the black/dark grey bevel. I'll be ordering remote soon to access the service menu.

Unfortunately no s-video. Not a huge deal these days with the Koryuu available that would allow me to run s-video into component port for N64 or any spare s video cables. Honestly, I'm now tempted to invest in some of the HD Retrovision component cables. I had thought of the SCART to SCART2COMP route as well.

Notice I tested it powered on in the back of the Tahoe :lol: I wasn't loading it twice. What you guys think?

The Samsung now joins my GW VX765 VGA CRT. So I'm running 2 CRT now... and getting more into RGB, the XRGB3, & high quality video outputs... 8)

Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Nice! I also have a 27" Samsung flat screen CRT, it was my main CRT for a while before I scored my 27" Wega. No complaints, I always thought it was a great TV. Only mine has S-Video, I guess the one you found is a little newer?
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Ziggy587 wrote:Nice! I also have a 27" Samsung flat screen CRT, it was my main CRT for a while before I scored my 27" Wega. No complaints, I always thought it was a great TV. Only mine has S-Video, I guess the one you found is a little newer?

Nice on the Samsung! I bet you had the 2791F. It shares a user manual with mine and a 3rd similar 32 inch set. S video really looks to be the difference.

Did you ever use the Digital Noise reduction (DNR) for retro systems? CRT crew on reddit recommended turning it on for NES on this set. Apparently helps with that weak signal. Interested to test that on a few systems. Thought that was interesting.

Models from manual & more on DNR:

Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

That Samsung 27" was actually a Christmas present to my brother one year from myself and his now wife (then girlfriend). He had it for many years, then he eventually bought himself his first HDTV when they really started to get cheap. At that point I took it as an upgrade to what I was using for a CRT, a 19 or 21" I can't remember, and I used it for a good long while until I scored the Wega. This was back when I really didn't care about video quality as much. I mean, I cared enough not to use RF and opted for S-Video over composite whenever possible. But I was still happy enough to just plug in a console and game without caring about settings and this and that. Long story short (and to end this trip down memory lane), no, I never used DNR or messed with any of the settings on that TV.