ElkinFencer10's Big Boy Gaming Set-up

Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Re: ElkinFencer10's Big Boy Gaming Set-up

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

laurenhiya21 wrote:Ahhhh noooo... Now I really want to case my games :( It all looks so nice cased like that but I bet it took quite a while to do it all. Not that I have that many to case (for now), but I would have to also go somewhere to print out the art bleh

What did you do for the old cases though? And the multi-disc games?

I ordered a box of 100 single disc DVD cases and a box of 50 4-disc DVD cases, so they all look uniform, but the multi-disc games are in the 4-disc cases. The original cases are all stored in a cabinet in the room beneath the selves.

Yeah, it did take a looong time. Total time for all of my cases (not just the ones I did today and yesterday) between trimming, inserting, and moving games was probably around 100 hours (and over $1,000 when you when you take into account the price of the cases, the price of the prints, and the cost of the power dremel and straight cutter I use) considering that the NES and Atari 5200 games required that I use a power dremel to cut tabs off of the Universal Game Cases to make the cartridges fit.

It's totally worth it in my opinion, though. It just looks so nice.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Post by laurenhiya21 »

I checked to see how many games I would need to case up, and I completely I forgot that I had some loose discs and some cover-less games... Now that's going to bother me until I case them lol

Where did you get the 4 disc cases though? I've seen some on Amazon but I can't really tell if those were good or not ha (and sorry for all the questions...)
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

laurenhiya21 wrote:I checked to see how many games I would need to case up, and I completely I forgot that I had some loose discs and some cover-less games... Now that's going to bother me until I case them lol

Where did you get the 4 disc cases though? I've seen some on Amazon but I can't really tell if those were good or not ha (and sorry for all the questions...)

No, keep asking by all means. I think doing this is a great thing for collectors since it lets some of us buy games disc only (since it's cheaper) without breaking the "look" of the collection, you know?

I'll link you everything I ordered for this batch along with the price sans shipping.

Black 3DS cases - $19 for a box of 50
http://www.supermediastore.com/product/u/supermediastore-standard-size-nintendo-single-black-ds-case-50pk

Universal Game Cases (for cartridge games) - $69 for a box of 100
http://thevideostoreshopper.com/universal-game-case/universal-game-case-%7C-full-sleeve-insert/

Black DVD cases - $29 for a box of 100
http://thevideostoreshopper.com/dvd-cases/black-dvd-casees-%7C-full-sleeve-%7C-100-per-case/

Black 4-disc DVD cases - $27 for a box of 50
http://www.supermediastore.com/product/u/cd-dvd-case-quad-4-disc-14mm-black-50

The UGCs are the expensive ones - with shipping, it's about $100 for a box of 100 cases. They look REALLY nice with printed artwork, though, and they keep your games nice and safe. You can find cover art at http://www.thecoverproject.net/, but shoot me a PM if there are any that you need and can't find there; I've had to scour various places for some and make a few myself (they're not great, but they serve the purpose) for games that I had but for which I couldn't find a cover on that site.

Feel free to ask anything else. :)

laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Post by laurenhiya21 »

Wow man, thanks for all the links! :D How's the quality of the DVD cases? That's the one thing I've been worried about when looking at cases, since I don't want to get ones that just fall apart (and I can't tell the difference when I just look at pictures).

Oh and how did you fit the GB and GBA games in those 3DS cases? I've seen guides to fit those in DS cases with the GBA slot, but not without.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

The DVD cases are fine quality. The 3DS cases are a bit fragile when it comes to drops, though.

The GBA games I just put in the top of the right side. The card holder keeps it from moving up and down, and there's only an inch or so of space left and right for it to slide. For GB/GBC games, I put them right in the middle of the left side and close it so that the card holder is pressing against it. It gives enough pressure to keep the cartridge in place without bulging too much.

laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Post by laurenhiya21 »

Welp, I've ordered some cases! :lol:

It's definitely going to take me a while (a lot of the games I want to case don't have covers :|), so I'm probably only going work at it a little at a time but it will be good to get it started.

Thanks so much for your help! :D
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I should be getting the last of my shit moved into my new house tomorrow, so hopefully sometime next week, I'll have some new pictures up!

ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I'm hoping to have the new place's set-up totally finished this weekend, so expect pictures sometime around Memorial Day.

ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Alright folks, I've still got some tidying to do, but I'm finally moved in and unpacked enough to show pictures of my new home, The Citadel of D*ck. I'm a homeowner, yayyy! Sorry for the shitty image quality; I'm using my phone to take the photos, and I'm far too lazy and impatient to make sure the angle and shit is good. So some of them are probably crooked. Whatevs.

Obviously the living room is the main hub of my more recent console gaming. Mounted to the wall around the TV going counter-clockwise from top left is my Xbox One X, my PlayStation 4 Pro, my Switch, and my Wii U. On the middle shelf on the left side of the TV stand I have my Steam Link in case I want to do any PC gaming on my TV. On the right side of that stand is my Bluetooth subwoofer that goes with my soundbar, and in the middle I have my Switch and Xbox One games.
ImageImage

Above the fireplace, I have my Virtual Boy in a place of prominence in the center, my Vita on its charging cradle on the right, and my New 3DS XL charging cradle on the left (although the 3DS itself isn't up there at the moment, obviously). I've also got some figurines and memorabilia up there. That picture in the middle is the first piece that a kid I taught during my student teaching did to sell publicly on Etsy. I, naturally, had to buy a print to support her. To the right of the fireplace is my PS VR headset stand (it also charges two DS4 controllers and two PS Move controllers) sitting on top of a double sided spinning media shelf that holds my (disgusting amount of) PS4 games.
ImageImage

Attached to the master bedroom is a little office area that I've turned into my PC room although that's clearly not the only thing in here. In addition to my PC set up, I also have my Vectrex sitting to the right of my PC and on the opposite wall, I have my Dreamcast set up with its dedicated VGA monitor and 2.1 speakers. I'm eventually going to take out those crappy old person curtains and replace them with sexy red curtains.
ImageImageImage

Moving away from the living room in the other direction is the dining room where I have my amiibo horde set up. Every amiibo. Literally. Every. Single. One. At least all of the ones that have been released; I have Marina and Pearl, the King Knight/Spectre Knight/Plague Knight 3 pack, and the Dark Souls dude pre-ordered. It's an imperfect set-up right now - I would, ideally, like to have them set up to show off each individual amiibo a bit more and have them less clustered all together - but it's the best I could do with what I had on hand without spending a shit ton of money on new shelving solutions. All things considered, though, I think it turned out fairly well.

Going past the dining room puts you in the den. This room is MOSTLY just an entryway and slightly more formal meeting area than the living room, but it also serves a much more important function - home to the MVS cabinet and a few hundred games. The first thing on your right when coming into the den from the dining room is that giant red box of sex in all its glory. On the left is just a little corner shelf that I've made into my Nep shrine. Except the top shelf. That gets the big ass Breath of the Wild CE box. Directly in front is a bookshelf with some memorabilia and, most importantly, my MVS cartridges (along with my one single AES cartridge) as well as my Hyper Neo Geo 64 board and the four fighting games for it. To the right of that bookshelf is massive (and pain in the ass to assemble) media cabinet that holds all of my Wii, Wii U, PS3, 360, PC Engine/TG16, Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Neo Geo Pocket Color, and N-Gage games. Please, please, put away your genitals; I know it's an incredibly exciting shelf, but that's simply not appropriate. Fun trivia - except for the wall scroll and the Star Trek-themed painting of my dog, all of the artwork in this room was done by students of mine.
ImageImageImageImage

The house has four bedrooms, and two of the three extra bedrooms are being used for non-current console set-ups. The doorway to the right of the big ass media shelf leads to a small hallway; on the right is my (mostly) 7th gen room. I've got my older 40" 1080p TV set up with my PS3, my 360, my Ouya, my Gamestick, my PS TV, my Retron 5, and my SNES Classic (the NES Classic will go here, too, if I'm able to snag one when they restock at the end of the month). If the Polymega actually ends up coming out, that will go in here as well. I also have my Vita and 3DS games shelved in this room.
ImageImageImageImage

On the opposite end of the hallway is my retro room. Everything sixth gen and earlier (plus Wii) is in this room connected to my CRT through an unholy cluster of composite, S-video, and YPbPr splitters and four power strips. I keep the power strips turned off when I'm not playing because I'm terrified of house fires. Well, terrified enough to keep haphazardly clustered power strips turned off but not quite terrified enough not to have them that way in the first place. :roll: In addition to those couple dozen consoles, I have most of my controllers in here in the plastic drawers as well as my Game Boy Advance, DS, Gamecube, and Xbox games.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

I welcome any suggestions, but keep in mind that I'm trying NOT to spend more money; I already waste too much that I don't have. :lol:

samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

I suggest you disconnect that night vision WiFi camera, you creeper! :lol: Why on earth do you need that inside your home?

Also, your video game collection is very nice.