Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
Blu
Next-Gen

Re: How many of you are actually still using CRT TVs?

by Blu Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:53 pm

Okay cool. I do have the original remote, so that part's easy.

I'm guessing there's probably how many sets of values do I need to write down? 16 or so? I've seen a video about accessing the service menu, and it's been urged you write down all the current values.

No pressure, right? :wink: At this point, I'm pretty certain it's overscan, like you said, Ziggy. I've tested and found consistent issues on the margins for:
    * Super Nintendo
    * PS1
    * Sega Saturn
    * N64
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:10 pm

I would just take video of the service menu while you scroll through each option. It's the safest bet IMO. Just in case you copied a value wrong, you will always have the video to reference. And it's the easiest/fastest way to get all of the values anyway.
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:17 pm

The 240p test suite really helps while adjusting. The linearity and especially the scrolling grid patterns show any irregularities in your geometry adjustments realtime.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:23 pm

OK, I had the craziest dream last night. Now you all with officially think I'm obsessed with CRTs. Have you ever been in a deli, or any kind of take-out food establishment, and seen them using big HDTV screens for menus? Well, I had a dream that I went into some random deli, and instead of HDTV screens they had CRTs screens with menus! There was like 2 or 3 walls that had shelves up by the ceiling, along the entire length of wall, with random CRTs all along each shelf. And they weren't just TVs, one was a Macintosh :lol:
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Mon May 08, 2023 1:54 pm

Have y'all seen this new Checkmate Retro Monitor?

https://youtube.com/shorts/NMja9LYS1FU?feature=share

Technically an IPS but we've tossed around the idea if a new retro TV/monitor would ever be made here.

Interesting...

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Mon May 08, 2023 8:16 pm

I have seen that. Pretty neat, but I'm not sure if I'll be getting one.

That video doesn't explain it in great detail. I'm sure there's plenty of videos about it by now. The one I saw went into greater detail of how the kit is put together. IIRC, those connections that you briefly see on the back on the unit are going to be modular. Meaning, you can get what inputs you want/need.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Tue May 09, 2023 2:32 pm

Ziggy587 wrote:I have seen that. Pretty neat, but I'm not sure if I'll be getting one.

That video doesn't explain it in great detail. I'm sure there's plenty of videos about it by now. The one I saw went into greater detail of how the kit is put together. IIRC, those connections that you briefly see on the back on the unit are going to be modular. Meaning, you can get what inputs you want/need.

Decided to make a dedicated thread as it's technically an IPS. Posted a more detailed video of there too.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=53968

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Syndicate
32-bit

by Syndicate Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:31 am

...so I came across a Sony KV-30HS420 last weekend for a great price that was actually being sold just a few minutes away from my house so I pulled the trigger. This thing was a monster to get loaded into my car and finally into my house. I'm not quite sure how it'll fit into my game room setup just yet (plus I need to grab a gcomp switch), but I'll get something figured out :lol:. I know 16:9 CRTs aren't ideal for 3rd-5th gen gaming, but I'm hoping getting into the service menu and doing some tweaking can make it shine. I'm hoping it'll be really good for my PS2/Xbox/NGC era stuff as well.
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:01 am

Nice, congrats! Reminds me of a regular that use to post here, CRTGAMER. He used a widescreen HD Wega and loved it. Be sure to keep us posted on your experience using it.
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:25 pm

Congrats! I've owned a few 16x9 HD CRTs. They are the best way to watch anything interlaced IMO. The whole DVD era of media and gaming is awesome on them.
To get the brightness & colors right, I found the Avia Guide to Home Theater works really well. I can hook you up with an ISO.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Return to Game Rooms & Home Theater