Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Re: How many of you are actually still using CRT TVs?

by o.pwuaioc Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:01 am

JungleHeart wrote:Here's mine. I'm not sure of the exact model but we've had this Sanyo for years. I have the very same PS2 I have back in the day. I love these two mainly because they're both first owned.

The TV's display is nothing special and it's pretty small. It does get the job done for me, though.

You gotta get that thing on a stand! There's really something special about re-playing your childhood, huh?
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:41 am

Well guys, it's official. Off loaded the CRTs before the move.

My 17" VGA CRT made its way to JoeAwesome here on the forums. It's already in a clean arcade like setup. Awesome to see that sharp little guy being put to use.

My beast of a 27" Samsung Dyna Flat (component input) found a good home yesterday from a couple on reddit. The husband speed runs SNES games & the wife picked it up from me. Freeing space in my storage (climate control) unit and not making the moving cut. Apparently he's held a world record before in some category & is speed running RPGs now :shock:. That last bit blew my mind.

Couldn't have found better places for them both!

Not counting childhood & youth... think I've owned 5 CRTs (+1 additional rear projection) as an adult since that ~2008 range when HD flat screen were becoming more prevalent. Thinning, re-arranging, moving, and re-buying CRT is a task lol, but I enjoyed it.

With the result upscalers are producing today (not to forget amazing emu) and my family moving into a new place ... highly likely my last CRT adventures. Going to arrange my new gameroom around scalers and emu.

It's been fun! 8)

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

by JoeAwesome Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:11 am

You'll be back :lol:
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:29 am

JoeAwesome wrote:You'll be back :lol:

I think Mrs Jago would have me committed.

I'm going straight XRBG3 (OSSC or Tink later) to 4K + emulation for some time ... but there's always the chance of a PVM ... :lol:

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:29 pm

I picked up a 32” Toshiba 4:3 CRT from the sidewalk in front of my neighbor’s house last night. It still works, and the picture looks great! It also has component, composite, RF, and s-video inputs. I’m very excited!

The downside…it weighs a ton!
Segata
Next-Gen

by Segata Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:26 pm

I have two set up next to one another.
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:07 pm

Segata wrote:I have two set up next to one another.

Pics, please!

For reference, here's my (unfinished) basement setup that I posted on page 29...

I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
Blu
Next-Gen

by Blu Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:09 pm

Hey gang!

I have a relatively obscure question. I have a Sony Trinitron model KV-20S42.

The margins are off slightly, so that if I'm in a game menu, sometimes I can't fully read the text. At first, I thought it was something related to my Everdrives, but realized its simply the TV itself.

I've realized that with the original remote, I can get into the service menu. I'm guessing I could fine tune the configuration and adjust margins, color, etc.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I feel like this would be the best course of action before seeing if there's any maintenance that needs to be done on it.
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:53 am

Blu wrote:Hey gang!

I have a relatively obscure question. I have a Sony Trinitron model KV-20S42.

The margins are off slightly, so that if I'm in a game menu, sometimes I can't fully read the text. At first, I thought it was something related to my Everdrives, but realized its simply the TV itself.

I've realized that with the original remote, I can get into the service menu. I'm guessing I could fine tune the configuration and adjust margins, color, etc.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I feel like this would be the best course of action before seeing if there's any maintenance that needs to be done on it.

Sounds like you need to tinker with the overscan in the service menu, which is relatively easy to do. Just note that adjusting it for less overscan so that it doesn't crop something in one game, might end up revealing garbage for another game (or console) so it might be some back and forth until you find a happy medium.

If you don't have the remote yet, just search the model number for the TV to find the manual. Look in the manual, and with Sony you can always find the remote model number that came with that TV. Then search the remote model number on eBay and you should be able to find one for cheap.

WORD OF CAUTION - After you enter the service menu for the first time, the FIRST thing you need to do is write down all of the factory values. They are unique to that specific TV. If you start messing with values, you can very easily make your picture worse with no way to get back. If you're too lazy to write them all down, use your cell phone to video the screen and you scroll through all of the options in the menu. That'll capture all of the factory values.
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:58 am

Yes, I adjust the geometry on every CRT. Sony's service menu can do a lot. Once you zoom the image out, you can adust the corners, skew, pincusion, etc. It takes some getting used-to as some adjustments afect the whole picture and some only sections.
Big warning: you can save bad settings and make undoing what you did nearly impossible if you don't remember what the factory setting was. I suggest using your phone to photograph all the geometry settings preset in it before anything else. There's detailed guides for decyphering the menus for sony CRTs. It's faily easy to find the service manuals too.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Return to Game Rooms & Home Theater