Building a "new" emulation/indie game PC this morning.

Emu Talk Goes Here
fuctfuct
Next-Gen

Building a "new" emulation/indie game PC this morning.

Post by fuctfuct »

Do many of you run dedicated systems for retro games only? I'd love to see them.

The case and 140mm intake fan are new. Everything else is free (stuff I had laying around).

Played around with the hardware last night. Can do everything up to Wii U. Time to cram it into the case!

i5-4690
ASUS H81I-PLUS Mini-ITX
R7 265
8GB RAM
256GB SSD
Ziggy

Re: Building a "new" emulation/indie game PC this morning.

Post by Ziggy »

Post more pics!
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

You have a link for the case? Looks pretty cool!
fuctfuct
Next-Gen

Post by fuctfuct »

Ziggy587 wrote:Post more pics!

I can when I get some time. It will just be a white box tho! hehe. When i get my new entertainment setup done I will. It fits great in a Kallax.

racketboy wrote:You have a link for the case? Looks pretty cool!

SilverStone SG13 .. Best cheap (full ATX power supply) ITX case I could find at the time I bought it. Was only $65 CAD at the time. Around $80 CAD now.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07P99 ... UTF8&psc=1
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

That case is pretty neat. Every device I get is decked out with every emulator I think it might handle, and given a runthrough. Gotta ask the question: Can it Run DOOM?
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
fuctfuct
Next-Gen

Post by fuctfuct »

Heh, it would likely run every DOOM up to 2016. IIRC the 265 is a hair more powerful that the PS4. I could likely get 2016 running on it if I messed with the settings a ton. Not gonna though, heh. I basically only want to use if for up to PS2/Wii .. I could have gotten away with something smaller, but I wanted a full GPU for shaders and upscaling the 480i/p consoles to 4k.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I think you chose a good GPU. I build mine for only outputting to a SD screen. I gotta choose my GPU right but decide if I want to make things like dreamcast and HD pc games actually perform well interlaced, or block their access from the user. I normally choose to make only progressive games available.
I think you'll get the likes of Scott Pilgrim running emulated shortly if it isn't already running OK.
I just had a good run on River City Girls on my cab.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
fuctfuct
Next-Gen

Post by fuctfuct »

Anapan wrote:I think you chose a good GPU. I build mine for only outputting to a SD screen. I gotta choose my GPU right but decide if I want to make things like dreamcast and HD pc games actually perform well interlaced, or block their access from the user. I normally choose to make only progressive games available.
I think you'll get the likes of Scott Pilgrim running emulated shortly if it isn't already running OK.
I just had a good run on River City Girls on my cab.

Yea, I had a 1060 6GB in my hoard of parts but that seemed a bit overkill for what I want this box to do, hehe. It was also too long to fit in the case with the 140mm fan. I think it may have fit with a 120mm.

I run almost everything in Retroarch. I really like CRT-Geom for just about everything. It emulates the 480i flicker. For example when you boot a PS1 game the BIOS will flicker just like on a CRT, and then the game (and all other 240p games) will not. I use it for 2D type DC games too. Flickers the entire time like it did on my shit TV back then. For GC/Wii I upscale to 4k in Dolphin. For PS2, PCSX2 deinterlaces the games, and then I upscale them to 4k.

When you say SD screen do you mean CRT? I've been meaning to try Retroarch's CRT output but never get around to it.

Been wanting to try River City Girls but haven't bought it on steam yet. Good?
fuctfuct
Next-Gen

Post by fuctfuct »

Wasn't entirely happy with the cable management (still not), so while redoing it, I took some crap pics for you Ziggy587, haha.

Pics make it look much worse than it is. There is plenty of room for airflow. If anyone buys this case do yourself a favor and grab an SFX power supply too :P

Trying to stop myself from upgrading my main PC now, hehe. I don't NEED to, I just want to.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

That is a great setup. Very nice! I have plans to build small form factor bartop arcade cabinets around small motherboards with integrated CRTs. Unfortunately, time and my brother's bad luck have claimed all of my small motherboards I was playing with - they got transplanted into his towers as his hand-me-down motherboards and CPUs died. I blame the cats.
The Retroarch CRT output is based off the work from CRT Emudriver and works well from my tests. I have a couple of instances of the full Retroarch in quarantined folders with preconfigured .ini files for specific emulations. I strongly dislike its interface to the point that I invoke it from command line only. It is capable for sure. I just really dislike it.
I really enjoy River City Girls - the devs did a great job of capturing Kunio and giving it a cool facelift. My niece and I are having a great time playing through the campaign, tho it's in small bursts over some months now.

If you're running Retroarch, and wish to interface a 15khz SD CRT screen, I think it's a lot simpler that it used to be. The RGB output off the VGA port of the old GPUs I run can be wired through a transcoder into any CRT capable of component. The games all run perfectly with similar if not cycle-accurate output as they did in the arcade or other RGB setup.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage