Rasberry Pi 4 Out - 4GB RAM

Emu Talk Goes Here
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Rasberry Pi 4 Out - 4GB RAM

Post by Jagosaurus »

Well... this could really move the RetroPi scene forward. What do you guys think this means for the emus? Pretty cool to see at that price point.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspbe ... w-from-35/

1GB $35
2GB $45
4GB $55

4GB model + case + power + 4K HDMI = $73

Raspberry Pi 4 Model B
Here are the highlights:

- A 1.5GHz quad-core 64-bit ARM Cortex-A72 CPU (~3× performance)
- 1GB, 2GB, or 4GB of LPDDR4 SDRAM
- Full-throughput Gigabit Ethernet
- Dual-band 802.11ac wireless networking
- Bluetooth 5.0
- Two USB 3.0 and two USB 2.0 ports
- Dual monitor support, at resolutions up to 4K
- VideoCore VI graphics, supporting OpenGL ES 3.x
4Kp60 hardware decode of HEVC video
- Complete compatibility with earlier Raspberry Pi products

Comparison table vs Pi 3b+:
https://www.cnx-software.com/2019/06/24 ... fferences/

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Rasberry Pi 4 Out - 4GB RAM

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

So...uh...will this be able to emulate N64 games pretty well? I just got a Retrode, and I’m thinking about creating a digital copy of my cartridge collection to play on emulators. (It should be a fun project, and I think it will make my collection even more accessible.)

Could it potentially handle PS2 and Saturn too? I don’t know much about what sort of power is required to emulate those relatively well.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

It should play N64 better than previously. Some of that is on the N64 emulator itself as well though. It'll likely still be a dice roll but better.

Saturn highly likely not going to run well.... but then again, the Odroid reportedly has solid... decent... SS emulation. That is another single board computer device has 2GB RAM but CPU at 2.0GHz.

PS2 is a no-go. That scene has come a long way on PC though.

prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Well...I ended up getting a Raspberry Pi 3B, with a wireless, keyboard, mouse, power supply, and case for free. (My father’s friend gave it to him about a year ago, and he has no interest in doing anything with it.) So...that’s what I’ll be using to build my first Retropie. I am planning on using my Retrode to dump my SFC/SNES and Genesis collections (and, if I can get some adapters, my GB/GBC/GBA and SMS collections).

I think a Raspberry Pi can run DOSBox pretty well too, and I am thinking about seeing if I can put some of my old DOS games on it too. Do any of you have experience running DOSBox on a Raspberry Pi?
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Any updates on the Rasberry Pi 4 in regards to RetroPie? Any emulators updated yet to take advantage of the better hardware?
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Ziggy587 wrote:Any updates on the Rasberry Pi 4 in regards to RetroPie? Any emulators updated yet to take advantage of the better hardware?

I haven't had time to watch it yet but saw ETA Prime vids testing the "higher end" stuff. Let me know how it handles it. It's on my list to get one anyway, but that would encourage me to do it sooner.

Recently Posted - N64, DC, PSP testing on Pi 4:
https://youtu.be/ptHlujyzx0o

Original Vid - Lakka Retro Arch on Pi 4:
https://youtu.be/GF8rF-_AQdQ

Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Will the faster CPU and extra RAM automatically give a performance boost to existing emulators? Or will the emulators need to be updated to take advantage of the faster hardware? Or all of the above?
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Ziggy587 wrote:Will the faster CPU and extra RAM automatically give a performance boost to existing emulators? Or will the emulators need to be updated to take advantage of the faster hardware? Or all of the above?

RA cores should utilize immediately. Similar to how it'll take advantage of higher specs on a Nvidia Shield TV vs a mobile phone.

I'm not a Pi expert, but I know RetroPie uses the extra juice on the Odroid board. I don't think RetroPie has been ported to the Pi4 yet though, only RA Lakka.

Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

I correct my statement. Watched several videos and I was wrong.

Lakka has not been officially ported to the Pi 4 yet. It also requires significant changes from the dev side. It is however much further along now than RetroPie (both unofficial, in progress releases) but still being optimized at a software level. RP is still in shambles, but will be fixed in time.

DC was running at 40-50 FPS. Here's to hoping they can bump that up! Most reviewers were saying Saturn will likely be hit or miss depending on game with these specs. N64 emus themselves were having issues. Lots of work ahead of the devs, but will be cool to see where it goes.

Hm... puts me in weird spot. I was seriously looking at a Pi emu build, but don't want it to be outdated in 3 months.

Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I've been thinking more and more about getting some sort of small emulator box. I'm curious to see if the Pi 4 will be a nice bump in performance... Or I'm considering a MISTer.