How good is emulation on Xbox?

Emu Talk Goes Here
parski

Re: How good is emulation on Xbox?

Post by parski »

samsonlonghair wrote:
parski wrote:That's the feeling I got as well. I wonder how well it really does handle arcade games, though. I've been looking at alternatives such as putting together a small PC for arcade emulation but it's pretty steep right now and I don't think I'd do it right away. If the Xbox can handle most of the games I want to play I'll just settle with that.

If you're going to use a PC for emulation anyway, than just go that route for all your emulation needs. PC emulators are the best, the most accurate, and the most up to date.

That's the idea if I get to putting together a PC for my PVM. It's just that it's a bit of an investment since I need to import special hardware to be able to output via RGBS. This is what I've been looking at:

http://www.ultimarc.com/store/section.php?xSec=11

I also haven't looked into emulators' abilities to output in 240p and what issues I might run into. The Wii is more of a plug and play compared to configuring that setup.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

You don't need an Arcade VGA to output to a PVM as apparently some old video cards are able to output at 15Khz using a program called "Soft15khz". You should be able to find info about it on the usual retro sites but it's every bit as good as an Arcade VGA without the expense.
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
parski

Post by parski »

Erik_Twice wrote:You don't need an Arcade VGA to output to a PVM as apparently some old video cards are able to output at 15Khz using a program called "Soft15khz". You should be able to find info about it on the usual retro sites but it's every bit as good as an Arcade VGA without the expense.

For real? Without the hassle of having to boot into the OS before you plug it into the PVM?

Also, suppose I accidentally feed my PVM a signal that isn't 15kHz. What would happen? Do I just see nothing or can I damage my equipment?

[EDIT]

Ah, just found this disclaimer:

PLEASE NOTE: Soft-15KHz is a Windows application and will only function once Windows has loaded. Any resolutions that a computer outputs before Soft-15KHz kicks in may be harmful to standard arcade monitors.

Seems sort of scary.
Last edited by parski on Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

If I recall correctly, you simply have to wait after the initial boot-up (After the POST sounds), then you can turn on your PVM. So, basically, turn the PC first, then the PVM and you are set. No hassle.

If you feed a 31Khz signal, it will either show a double image or simply not recognize it and don't show anything. People say you can damage your equipment that way, but like "opening the CRT might zap you and kill you", it seems the fears are overblown and nobody's equipment has been fried.

Really, I've read a bit on the topic and it seems the best way to do it. It's less expensive, less power-intensive and works every bit as well as an Arcade VGA.
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
parski

Post by parski »

Erik_Twice wrote:If I recall correctly, you simply have to wait after the initial boot-up (After the POST sounds), then you can turn on your PVM. So, basically, turn the PC first, then the PVM and you are set. No hassle.

If you feed a 31Khz signal, it will either show a double image or simply not recognize it and don't show anything. People say you can damage your equipment that way, but like "opening the CRT might zap you and kill you", it seems the fears are overblown and nobody's equipment has been fried.

Really, I've read a bit on the topic and it seems the best way to do it. It's less expensive, less power-intensive and works every bit as well as an Arcade VGA.

Well that doesn't sound too bad. I'll read up on it for sure and keep a lookout for appropriate hardware. Thanks! I really appreciate the tips.
parski

Post by parski »

Erik_Twice wrote:"Soft15khz"

So I found this thing:
http://www.arcadeshop.de/product_info.p ... anguage=en

It claims that I can use a newer generation graphics card and make it output 15kHz with that software you mentioned. Do you know anything about this? I have an Nvidia GTX970 and it would be sweet to be able to use my gaming PC to run emulators on the PVM. I searched for what requirements this "newer generation" GPU ought to have but I didn't find anything. I mean, a GTX970 is what I consider a newer generation GPU but this guy seems to have had to install another older GPU to run alongside his newer one to output to his CRT.

I'm gonna e-mail the folks who make the dongle to see if I can get some more elaborate information than the vague product description.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Why downgrade the video output of the PC to the PVM? I know you are trying to duplicate the arcade cabinet thru emulation with the PVM the best for Composite, SVideo and Component hookup. The PC has the greatest capabilities for emulation including duplicating scanlines thru emulators on its native screen. You can get a decent VGA CRT to duplicate the retro arcade cabinets.

I run Mame on both my PC and Xbox. I like kicking back on the couch with the instant setup off the Xbox hard drive running Mame on my HD CRT. Also like Mame on the PC due to many more games supported.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

parski

Post by parski »

CRTGAMER wrote:Why downgrade the video output of the PC to the PVM? I know you are trying to duplicate the arcade cabinet thru emulation with the PVM the best for Composite, SVideo and Component hookup. The PC has the greatest capabilities for emulation including duplicating scanlines thru emulators on its native screen. You can get a decent VGA CRT to duplicate the retro arcade cabinets.

The thing is my PVM doesn't take VGA and I'm pretty sure it won't handle resolutions over 480i or 31kHz. It's a PVM 20M4E and it sports BNC connectors for RGBS (external sync) and an S-Video port. I'd hate to get another CRT (in fact I already have another one) just to connect my computer to that one.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

If I was in your shoes I would consider keeping my PVM for other purposes and using a PC monitor for the PC. Your PC monitor can be a CRT, an LCD, or any other thing that suits your fancy. Trying to connect your PC to a PVM is going to cause you more headache than it's worth.