Which is currently the best emulator for PSX?

Emu Talk Goes Here
TSTR
Next-Gen

Re: Which is currently the best emulator for PSX?

Post by TSTR »

I suppose that depends on what you're gonna be staring at more. With that, I would probably run with the AA+Nat Vision shader.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

Poor new members not knowing about the awesome guides old members wrote

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/sony/ps1/enhance-ps1-graphics-with-the-best-epsxe-plugin-settings 8)
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

That guide is helpful for sure.
Dranix

Post by Dranix »

ZeroAX wrote:Poor new members not knowing about the awesome guides old members wrote

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/sony/ps1/enhance-ps1-graphics-with-the-best-epsxe-plugin-settings 8)

I had already read that guide before creating this thread. However, I was looking for someone who could give me an updated guide. Finally, I see that each one has their definition of best settings, so the best advise is to try different configurations by myself until I get some that I like, as TSTR said.
chuckster
32-bit

Post by chuckster »

I use EPSXE also, but with just the standard shaders, or the natural shader for some games. I don't need much more than a bit of AA when playing the classics, but I do appreciate a few enhancements.

I also use Xebra, though I know Mednafen is more accurate. I don't play any games that Xebra has trouble with, and I could never get Mednafen working as smoothly as I liked. Overall, ePSXe has handled everything with the added bonus of greater flexibility and more enhancements.

PCSXR is supposed to be very similar to EPSXE but open-source and with more frequent updates. I've tried it as recently as 11/2014 and it seemed just that, though a bit more cumbersome feeling for some reason, and less polished. If ePSXe ever goes retail, I will use it instead.
Matteo

Post by Matteo »

chuckster wrote:PCSXR is supposed to be very similar to EPSXE but open-source and with more frequent updates. I've tried it as recently as 11/2014 and it seemed just that, though a bit more cumbersome feeling for some reason, and less polished. If ePSXe ever goes retail, I will use it instead.

What do you mean by saying "if ePSXe goes retail"?
LentFilms
32-bit

Post by LentFilms »

I recognise that this is an old thread but I figured I would throw in my 2cents.
Mednafen is currently the most accurate PSX emulator.
http://mednafen.sourceforge.net/
I love it. Games simply work, just like real hardware.

Many like to sing ePSXe praises but I've had very bitter experience with it when it came to accuracy and its ability run more obscure games out of the box (with out screwing with your config for every game).
technology4617

Post by technology4617 »

XEBRA's also a nice one, and a bit easier to get working than mednafen imo, but the graphics and sound emulation are slightly less accurate.
kikenovic
8-bit

Post by kikenovic »

I remember playing FFIX on a celeron with no 3D card using Kazuya's software plugin. Those were the days, lol