Emu Talk Goes Here
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

Suggestions for an emulation front end?

by Forlorn Drifter Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:27 pm

Don’t know where else to ask- does anyone have suggestions for an emulation front end? I’ve swapped over to using a bunch of stand alone emulators rather than Retroarch, which has been great. But it can be a bit of a mess trying to keep track of what I play on what, and a front end would help. All I’m really looking for is something that can list my games by system, doesn’t take an hour or me messing with INI files to add an emulator, and something where it’s quick to update my Tom list if I add new games.

Thanks for any help.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
Ziggy587

Re: Suggestions for an emulation front end?

by Ziggy587 Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:39 pm

I hope you don't mind, but I split this into it's own thread. I think this is a great topic, and don't be afraid to start new threads!

I don't have any suggestions, but I look forward to seeing what other people recommend. One thing that might help is if you specify what platform you're using (PC, Linux, Raspberry Pi, etc).
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

by Forlorn Drifter Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:50 pm

Fair enough!

I’m specifically looking at Windows. Launch box is going to be my absolute last resort. Quick play seems useful, but ugly and plain. Attract mode is pretty, but I’m not sure how easy it is to set up. I’ve also found one called Big Blue, which seems pretty, but it seems to be low use and I have no idea how hard it is to work with.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:42 pm

I'm interested in this as well. I'm still using Maximus Arcade. This has not been updated in years (2013) and the key I purchased no longer works... But the program and a key can be found online.
It's nice, but stuck in time.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:50 am

The most popular one at least for pc-based arcade cabinets seems to be hyperspin, but I can't really suggest one since I'm still using EmulatonStation - the exact opposite of the request - you need to edit text files a lot.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:22 pm

If you were using Android, I'd suggest Daijisho, which is what I use on my Retroid Pocket 3+.

Other than that, folks who use Daijisho seem to compare it favorably to something called Pegasus. I've also heard of Attract Mode and Playnite.

I gave LaunchBox a try but it just wasn't for me since adding Steam games would have been a crapshoot. Ironically if/when I make custom covers I usually upload them there.
Return to Emulation