Emu Talk Goes Here
nickfil
Next-Gen

Re: MiSTer FPGA?

by nickfil Tue May 03, 2022 7:45 pm

Melek-Ric wrote:
You, along with all the other coverage of the Mister have convinced me that this is the future of retro gaming. I am probably going to order one soon and then offload the consoles I own, it'll replace. I'll keep ones from 6th gen on. Probably buy an N64 one day. I read N64 won't be possible on the Mister.

It really feels like the future of retro is MiSTer. Eventually all the hardware will age and degrade. Hopefully not anytime soon, and some sooner than others. Putting a core out there with the mister is a good way for *everyone* to play it no matter what the year or condition of hardware. There will probably always be a way to play a SNES cart, but the sharp x6800 is fragile and locked in japan. All these old computers are really preserved and ready to play. Its fantastic. Plus there is cores like the Odyssey² that have just become coinvent to play. I had an Odyssey² for like 7 years and only powered it up 2 or 3 times. I've played more Odyssey² stuff on my mister because I don't have to deal with RF, or finicky controllers.

Yeah the n64 would need a more powerful FPGA. Not to say its impossible, but it isn't cost effective right now. People are speculating in 10 or 15 years that the fpga tech will come along and there will be a cheap commercial solution that will include the n64. For now- your best bet is real hardware.

I was just posting about my retro setup on reddit. Its down the mister, ps2, Saturn and Dreamcast. The mister ate everything else.

Btw- I just played through Klonoa door to phatomile on the unstable build of PSX. That core is incredibly impressive. Going to be a game changer when it releases just due to the fact it has features you can't get on the ps1.
sevin0seven
Next-Gen

by sevin0seven Wed May 04, 2022 5:34 pm

nickfil wrote:
Melek-Ric wrote:
.. I read N64 won't be possible on the Mister.

Yeah the n64 would need a more powerful FPGA. Not to say its impossible, but it isn't cost effective right now. People are speculating in 10 or 15 years that the fpga tech will come along and there will be a cheap commercial solution that will include the n64. For now- your best bet is real hardware.

here's the info on the N64 core: http://www.ultrafp64.com/

..and this seems to be the FPGA board their using: https://digilent.com/shop/nexys-video-a ... lications/
Visit my stores: Mercari Store, sevin0seven RacketBoy Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
nickfil
Next-Gen

by nickfil Wed May 04, 2022 8:25 pm

oh wow- I didn't realize people were building on more powerful fpgas.
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Wed May 04, 2022 11:09 pm

I hear they're turning Mister into a handheld now.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
marurun

by marurun Thu May 05, 2022 9:15 am

Anapan wrote:I hear they're turning Mister into a handheld now.

They'll have to shorten the name to Mr.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Melek-Ric
32-bit

by Melek-Ric Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:26 am

I ordered a DE-10 Nano. It is on backorder, so who knows when I will actually get it. In the meantime, I will try to order a couple of the other parts, like the RAM module, USB board, etc.

EDIT (2023/1/8): I ordered that board in July and it still hasn't been filled. On indefinite back order it seems. I was reading online the best place to get a DE-10 Nano nowadays was from the source. So I ordered it from them Monday and it was delivered Wednesday.

So today I ordered a kit from Mister-addons to complete the Mister. So hopefully next weekend I'll finally have it together and be able to use it.
"Challenging my unit was both foolish and reckless! You are nothing more than my prey... one that is soon to be retired!"
Return to Emulation