Emu Talk Goes Here
bmoc
Next-Gen

Consolized MiSTer

by bmoc Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:12 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDIz8WY6zLE

This came up on my Youtube feed and it looks like a really slick option for MiSTer. If I understand the video correctly, for around $200 you can get a board that has all the common MiSTer addons. I believe that you have to also purchase a DE-10 nano on top of that. I also believe the case will be open source and you will have to get it 3D printed on your own. They hope this will go on sale in October or sooner.

Their board includes:

-Power switch
-2 navigation switches
-4 front USB ports
-2 back USB ports
-Internal USB headers
-SNAC port (for native accessory addons such as controllers)
-3.5mm audio input (for loading cassette tape games)
-1 microSD slot
-expansion port for other addons
-128M RAM (removable for possible future RAM expansion)
-HDMI out
-VGA out
-SCART out
-SPDIF out
-3.5mm audio out
-Sync-on-green switch
-ethernet port
racketboy
Site Admin

Re: Consolized MiSTer

by racketboy Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:04 pm

I'm excited about projects like this. Not for everyone, of course, but I'm always up for a bit more industrial design efforts.
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:03 pm

That video came up in my feed as well. When I was watching it, I was worried that the price tag was going to be too much. But somehow they were able to make the cost reasonable. Since it replaces the need for all the add ons you would typically need for the DE-10, it ends up being in the same ballpark. Right?

I'm definitely going to keep an eye on this. I've been thinking about getting a MiSTer recently, and I was going to forego getting any kind of case or shell due to cost. But if this thing includes that sweet case and all of the typical add ons, for about the same money that all of the add ons would cost you, then it seems like the best bang for your buck.

I also like that there shouldn't be any issues keeping the kit in stock.
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:02 pm

Ziggy587 wrote:Since it replaces the need for all the add ons you would typically need for the DE-10, it ends up being in the same ballpark. Right?

That is my understanding as well but it has been a while since I priced everything out.

It was unclear if they are going to sell the cases. I hope they do but at the very least, you can download the schematics and print it yourself or pay someone else to do it. I very much doubt I will jump on this right away due to life getting in the way but I am watching it with interest. Maybe sometime next year if they are still being sold.
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:10 pm

Haven't watched it yet, but a new video has been uploaded about this...

MiSTer Multisystem FAQ and Launch - A Consolised MiSTer FPGA System for Retro Gamers

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzbuHErNQGs

edit: Ah, so the pre-order sales are open for this product!

It looks like you can purchase the kit, or the individual pieces if you wish (useful if you already have the DE-10 board). The full kit is about $510 USD, but includes everything needed to make a consolized MiSTer console (including the DE-10 board).

https://rmcretro.store/mister-multisystem/
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:48 pm

Thanks for posting an update Ziggy. I started my new job this week and I haven't been keeping up on gaming news.

As cool as it is, I'm going to have to wait on this one. Houses are damned expensive righted now!
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:35 pm

Just for reference... If you already have the DE-10 or rather purchase it on your own, the rest of the kit and be purchased as individual parts. They are also making the case design freely available so you can 3D print your own if you have the ability.

The PCB by itself is £141.66
The case is £35.00
The (recommended) power supply is £13.32

The above three items together are £189.98 or $255.92 USD.

The DE-10 from DigiKey is currently $170 (https://www.digikey.com/en/products/det ... 96/6817231)

So if you purchased the above parts separately, your total would be $425.92. Plus tax and shipping, of course. From misteraddons.com, the pre-configured bundle with no case is $370, and the pre-configured bundle with aluminum case is $455.

Now that I've done the math ( if I've done it correctly) it looks like RMC's full kit is kind of pricey compared to all of the items if purchased individually. However, RMC's full kit includes some extras like a SCART cable, HDMI cable, and a 200 GB micro SD card, but I'm not sure if that is worth the extra cost.

I also looked all this up very quickly, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong. But it looks like a great deal if you buy the PCB, case and power supply from RMC and then source the DE-10 yourself from somewhere like DigiKey.
nickfil
Next-Gen

by nickfil Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:38 pm

I've been digging into the MiSTer recently. Finally pulled the trigger on it, and then started shopping around for other add ons. I saw this "console" mister kit, but man. Do ya'll think its kinda ugly? It just looks so strange to me.

Jammix makes an IO board that will fit into small computer cases that just seem to fit better if you are looking for a console version. Plus, if you ever need to, it'll plug into a jamma arcade harness. Get em here when they come back in stock. https://www.misterkits.com/products/jammix

nickfil
Next-Gen

by nickfil Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:41 pm

Also- I'm just running the kind of standard aluminum case, and it has a small footprint, and looks good next to the saturn/ps2.

It might not be consolized, but it looks good.
Return to Emulation