Who has an Emulation Box Setup They Are Proud of?

Emu Talk Goes Here
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Re: Who has an Emulation Box Setup They Are Proud of?

Post by fastbilly1 »

I know its an old topic, but I have had a theory for while on this front. I think the untapped market on this is front is Thinclients. They are cheap, more powerful than competitors, and can use standard windows or linux emulators.

For example a Wyse 7010 can be bought for under $50:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/174505713267
They sport a AMD G-T56N, up to 8 gigs of ddr3, and a standard sata harddrive. The AMD G-T56N is an APU of the bobcat era with an Radeon HD 6310 on the die. The passmark is 460 so it is about the same as Athlon 64 3100 or a Pentium D 915 aka medium grade mid 2008. This is good enough Win7 with launchbox and emulate anything up to Dreamcast without issue. Obviously swapping out the components and a win7 license would knock the price up a bit, and if you are doing Dreamcast or Saturn you are going to want to add on a cooling system since it is passive by default. Price wise it is about the same as a Pi4 8gig build and is about the size of 3dvd cases.

But that is only one option. If you can drop $150 on a unit, a Wyse 5070 has a Intel J4105 or J5445 processor, which can run PS2 and Wii games. You will need to add a fan, but it uses an M2 M drive and ddr4 ram and has a Intel 605 in it. Being that this is the current model, they are not super cheap yet, but once they get cheap I plan on getting a couple for retro pc gaming, they will run most everything up to 2012. Similar power:
https://youtu.be/KmdNvD0QfJY?t=569
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I exploit every device I can out of course - I buy gadgets for that purpose. Just like the "will it run Doom?" thing, I try to make everything run Mario, Pac-man, Diablo and Doom 2. I've now bought two different android phone watches that I filled with a custom selection of roms to exactly fill up the remainder of 16GB the phone-watch internal memory can handle.
I really prefer to build machines that can output 15khz RGB. Emulators are relatively easy compared to forcing HD games to perform properly in SD interlaced mode (240P).
Despite completing some cores satisfactorily for use, I'm always critical of the unpolished and therefore cut out parts of my cabinet cores I have not yet perfected. By far the ease of setting up an Android box is so slick, I now regularly buy those Tivo Stream 4K dongles, make a new fake persona that has USA address, then load the latest dot.emu cores and give them to friends at cost with their choice of BT controller. Nothing special, but it's so easy I'm amazed at how fast it can be put together.
Edit: Note that to download the "artifacts" off of Github, you must be logged in, tho joining is free. You can grab the entire lot of apks as a single .zip file. Click on the Actions tab, then look down the list for "EX Emulators" or a version number followed by "release".
Last edited by Anapan on Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Thanks for the headsup anapan, I was unaware of that method.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

I currently use a laptop most often. Can travel and fire up quickly with a USB controller... or HDMI out to TV.

That said... here's my Android setup thread. Simple and effective. I've used HDMI out before. Works just fine.

https://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtop ... 27&t=52798

Also... I think Retro Achievements deserve a nod here.

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=53045&p=1156267&hilit=Achievements

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5