I just got an Xbox 360 for the first time...

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

Re: I just got an Xbox 360 for the first time...

Post by JoeAwesome »

I’m loving my newly acquired modded Xbox S. Looking forward to all the JPN shmups (and Goldeneye!), but Deathsmiles is a nice, fairly cheap US game. Love The Outfit, btw. The game I’m obsessed with now is Blitz: The League. Over the top football FOR ADULTS, lol.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 and 2
Bayonetta
Vanquish
Mirror's Edge
Viva Pinata
Dishwasher Vampire Smiles (digital)
Castle Crashers (digital)
Lollipop Chainsaw
The Darkness 1 and 2
X-Men Origins Wolverine Uncut
Deadpool
Mass Effect trilogy - Must play games that helped define the 360
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Probably should avoid the sequel though
Darksiders
Mark of the Ninja (digital)
Batman Arkham Asylum and Arkham City, Arkham Origins is pretty decent too.
Any Lego games like the OG Star Wars movie based ones
Alan Wake
Alice Madness Returns
Bioshock series
Brutal Legend
Catherine
Dead Rising
Dead Space
Destroy all Humans
Gal*Gun
Ghostbusters: The Video Game
Sonic Generations
South Park: The Stick of Truth

OG Xbox

Chronicles of Riddick
Both Oddworld games
Psychonauts
Jade Empire
Jet Set Radio Future
Otogo and Otogi 2
Steel Battalion
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Worth noting the Marvel Ultimate Alliance games were pulled from XB1 due to licensing. Only way to play those in XB ecosystem is on the 360 (or OGX for original). I really enjoyed them back then. Light dungeon crawler, action RPG, with Marvel characters. Evolution of the XMen Legend games.

Also, saw Riddick mentioned for OGX. Worth noting it received a 360 release with HD upgrades + the second game in one package. Actually... just reminded me I need to buy that :lol:

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

So by some strange coincidence, 8 of the games that I ordered as well as the 360 itself were all delivered today!

I was a little annoyed when I opened up the package containing the 360. The seller threw everything in box with just an air pillow on top, but no bubble wrap or nothing around the console or any of the items to keep them from banging into each other. The console was a pretty snug fit in the box, so any direct hit to the box was a direct hit to the console. Luckily, the console seems to be in one piece. It came with a disc only copy of a FIFA game, and that loose disc was thrown in the box LOL. No paper sleeve or nothing, just a loose disc inside a box with a controller and a heavy power supply. The disc has scratches on it, who knows if they were from during the shipping or from before. Not that I even care about this game. But still. But probably most annoying is that the controller wont power on. Now I have a wired 360 controller (I bought to use with my PC) so I was able to test the console out (it works!). But the wireless controller that came with the console will need some attention. One of the pictures in the eBay listing shows the controller powered on, so it had been working before shipping. It doesn't have any physical damage, and the shipping box didn't appeared to have taken much damage. But when I pulled the battery pack I found some corrosion. So maybe some of that acid leaked inside the controller, and maybe it was working but the acid got knocked around inside during the shipping. I have a T8 security bit, but it wont reach two of the holes on the controller. So I just purchased another T8 screwdriver that'll work. Hopefully I can get it working without much effort.

So this was my first time using a 360. The power brick has a fan, I found that to be hilarious. What wasn't hilarious though is how convoluted Microsoft makes using this thing. I tested a few games offline just fine. But then I wanted to test one of the oXbox games I got, and that ended up being very confusing! So the game wouldn't load, but the error messages says something like "this game is not compatible with your console" which isn't very helpful. So I got the idea that maybe you need to be signed into Live to play oXbox games. So OK, let me set up a Live account. Well, that took about 2 hours to figure out LOL. I already have a Microsoft account, but it took forever to get myself signed in on the 360. I wont go through all of the things I had to do, but it was very annoying. And tedious to input my email and password a million times (especially with that D pad). But finally I was able to get myself signed into Live. And then I try to load up the oXbox game again and it says I need an update but then fails LOL. So I tried again and it FINALLY worked.

Jagosaurus wrote:Kameo by Rare

I ended up picking this one up, thanks for the suggestion!
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

Dude must've took the "if it fits, it ships" slogan a little too literally.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Happy you picked up Kameo! I'm a sucker for an interesting development history. It's fairly unique with a Zelda-like touch. I remember it at launch. We picked up Perfect Dark Zero instead with my buddy.

So lots of OGX games with require a patch for BC. The 360 mod scene actually has these all backed up fortunately. In short, the OGX games are all officially emulated vs true hardware compatibility (x86 vs PowerPC architecture). Those DLs are basically game specific emu patches. MVG has a great video that covers this. Fortunately, the quality bar seems pretty high.

I also remember reading Halo 2 success was a big reason for the 360 BC push. They didn't want to alienate such a loyal fan base. Hence, software patch model for BC, with such different hardware architecture.

Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Jagosaurus wrote:So lots of OGX games with require a patch for BC. The 360 mod scene actually has these all backed up fortunately. In short, the OGX games are all officially emulated vs true hardware compatibility (x86 vs PowerPC architecture). Those DLs are basically game specific emu patches. MVG has a great video that covers this. Fortunately, the quality bar seems pretty high.

Yep, I remember hearing this. Probably from MVG videos LOL. And that's the only reason I was able to figure it out. It's not like the error message says, "Please connected to Xbox Live to download an update." It just says, "This game is not compatible on your system."

That's awesome that you can grab the patches from the scene, if the Live servers ever go down for 360. But does that require a modified 360? I've read that you can download 360 console updates, or request a disc from Microsoft, as a way to install updates if you don't have an internet connection. But that might not be possible for oXbox patches. I'm not against modifying my 360. But none of the mods seem especially straight forward. And I figure I'll wait on that anyway, since I might want to purchase some things from Live (and I wont want to take it online after modding).
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Correct. Modded 360 needed and can FTP the OGX game patches. Also, as you eluded to earlier, many more 360 games run well that aren't officially BC. This is due to a mixture of licensing and quality control standards.

I don't have a modded 360 but have almost pulled the trigger multiple times lol. Mostly for OGX & homebrew... because the retail 360 games really started to grow in size that gen. Ripping/DLing & FTPing 4 DVDs to relatively small (by today's standards) 360 HDD seems a bit counterintuitive lol.

That said... remember on a stock 360 you can load games from your HDD. Save drive life & faster load times. No mod required. This seems to get lost today with all the mods. IIRC the external USB 2.0 is too slow though. Have to use internal HDD (at least on unmodded):

Insert the game disc into the disc drive.

From the "Xbox Dashboard", go to "My Xbox".

Select the game you want to install.

Press Y on your controller.

Select "Install to Hard Drive".

I've done this multiple times with no issues. I've heard Halo 3 has some issues with how it streamed data off disc though.

Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Oh nice, thanks for reminding me. I forgot about that, but I'll definitely install some games to the HDD. I made sure to get a console with a larger HDD size mostly for this reason (I got a 250 GB). I know you can swap out the HDD, but I know you can't use any old drive. It's nice to save wear and tear on the drive. I might mod it down the road, but the mods for the 360 are so complicated. Not to actually do them, but to figure out which method you need and then how to do it.

You can't install oXbox games to the HDD though, unfortunately. At least, not on an unmodified console.
JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

Post by JoeAwesome »

I could fit a good amount of games on a modded system with 250gb, but FTPing is time consuming for sure. Once it’s done, it’s done though. And if I want to, I can buy a newer, bigger HDD and throw it in an Ali express case to replace the old one, but I’m not one to need the whole library at once- paralysis by choice is real.