The PSP Go is Interesting - Here are my thoughts...

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
Gucci
64-bit

The PSP Go is Interesting - Here are my thoughts...

Post by Gucci »

I've been using the PSP Go for grand total of about 45 hours, mostly playing a single game (Trails in the Sky FC). I wanted to throw out my thoughts on the hardware itself. It will be a bit disjointed because I'm basically firing from the hip here, so my bad.

I recently replaced the battery with a third party one from ebay for $19.19 with tax and free shipping. Opening it wasn't bad but looking inside the unit, I feel a bit overwhelmed if I had to do anything else. Mainly because of the system being in two seperate housings. I didn't do a great job taking apart a DSi XL recently so I'm not going to mess with the Go unless I really have to.

There were two main colors that was released: the Piano Black and the Pearl White. I have the latter and I really like the way it looks. It's got super tiny "pearl bits" in the paint. The problem I'm starting to see is the yellowing of the rubber grips in the back. I should look into replacing that. I know for a fact that I would hate the way that would look cosmetically if I let that get worse.

A couple of years back, I got my hands on a new m2 memory stick. Tiny little card. So I have 16GB internally and 8GB with the stick. This works great because I installed CFW about a month or two ago. I now have the option to play a wide variety of games. Connecting to the PC is super easy. Windows 7/10 has the internal storage and memory stick as separate file locations so I can drag and drop games freely. Also, the pause/resume feature is great. I can pause the game and quit out to play something else, and then hop back in afterwards.

The sliding feature feels great. Don't know the longevity of that system though. I don't really like the L and R buttons. They don't have the clicky feel of the face buttons. I feel like the screen gets in the way as well. I haven't played anything yet that relies on those buttons quite yet so hopefully it won't be too much of an issue.

Bluetooth I've never used. I'd like to own the docking station one day.

That's all I got at the moment. Please feel free to chime in!
Last edited by Gucci on Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I own too many hoodies jackets hoodies and DS games and I’m not ashamed!
lwcook
128-bit

Re: The PSP Go is Interesting - Here are my thoughts...

Post by lwcook »

I've been on the fence on getting a Go, so I appreciate the input.

I don't really need one as I got revisions of the other PSPs, a hacked Vita, and a hacked PSTV, but the form factor for the Go is just alluring. I miss sliding electronics.

If I can find one for a decent price, I think I'll pull the trigger. Feel free to update your experiences as you go along (storage space, battery life, etc.)
Gucci
64-bit

Post by Gucci »

Holy shit the docking station is expensive as hell. That accessory would make the GCN component cables blush.

lwcook wrote:I've been on the fence on getting a Go, so I appreciate the input.

I don't really need one as I got revisions of the other PSPs, a hacked Vita, and a hacked PSTV, but the form factor for the Go is just alluring. I miss sliding electronics.

If I can find one for a decent price, I think I'll pull the trigger. Feel free to update your experiences as you go along (storage space, battery life, etc.)

So far, the third party battery is holding up. Always a risky proposition. Never want a battery to turn into a spicy pillow, especially in a device where the battery isn't generally user replaceable. I'll have to properly time it but I do see an improvement from the original battery.

It's the form factor that does it for me. I hold the Go in the same light as the Gameboy Micro and the 2DS tablet form factor: it's completely outside of the norm compared to other revisions.
Gucci
64-bit

Post by Gucci »

Quick update: the third party battery is a bust. Didn't realize it until I sent in positive feedback to the seller. Not even going to go through the trouble with filing a claim and stuff (assuming I have a right too since I already left feedback).

The OEM battery seems to last longer and go through the natural discharging progression from three battery bars (full), to two, one and blinking.
The third party battery stays on full for awhile and then drops to one battery bar. I don't want it to turn off on me so I switched the battery back.

I'll keep the third party battery as some sort of back up. The good thing is that the PSP Go (and other PSP models) can actually operate without a battery as long as it's tethered to an AC adaptor. Takes out the "Portable" in the name of the console but it's better than nothing.