Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
racketboy
Site Admin

Rebuilding the PS1 Hidden Gems Guide

by racketboy Tue May 18, 2021 10:26 am

So my Hidden Gems guides are still one of my most popular sets of posts, but I know they could use a revamp and have more original content, relying less on review quotes/excerpts.

I'm hoping to go the route of what we did with the semi-recent Master System gems. We had a handful of us that each contributed a few game summaries until we had a pretty full lineup.
You can find that piece here: http://www.racketboy.com/retro/the-best ... idden-gems

Since we already have an existing structure, you can choose any game that's already listed (either featured with a writeup/screenshot already, one from the honorable mentions, or one that you feel was missed altogether. Here's the link to the existing post:
http://www.racketboy.com/retro/best-und ... on-ps1-psx

I'm shooting for 3 or 4 paragraphs for each featured game. I think the key is to share what gives the game its personality and sets it apart from its peers. Leading off with a brief background is ok, but don’t get too Wikipedia-ish.

I already have somebody that's called dibs on Slap Happy Rhythm Busters and Panzer Bandit. I'll probably take on a few 2D shooters to start, so maybe avoid those unless you feel really passionate about that.

Anybody interested in pitching in?

Update:
We have community contributions of the following game write-ups:

* Bloody Roar 2 [kinda short so far/could use more help]
* Bushido Blade/Bushido Blade 2
* Cyberbots – Full Metal Madness
* Evil Zone
* Gunners Heaven/Rapid Reload
* Herc’s Adventures
* Intelligent Qube [kinda short so far/could use more help]
* IS: Internal Section [kinda short so far/could use more help]
* Klonoa
* MDK
* Omega Boost
* Philosoma
* Rival Schools – United by Fate
* Shadow Tower
* Silent Bomber
* Skullmonkeys
* Slap Happy Rhythm Busters
* Strider 2
* Threads of Fate [kinda short so far/could use more help]
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Rebuilding the PS1 Hidden Gems Guide

by prfsnl_gmr Tue May 18, 2021 10:46 am

I am happy to help.

I could write something on Silent Bomber since I beat that game not too long ago. It’s not listed in either best RPGs or Hidden Gems, but I could also write something on Shadow Tower. Everyone hates that game on release, but it’s actually a really solid ARPG that established some of the mechanics for the Souls series.
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Tue May 18, 2021 10:49 am

prfsnl_gmr wrote:I am happy to help.

I could write something on Silent Bomber since I beat that game not too long ago. It’s not listed in either best RPGs or Hidden Gems, but I could also write something on Shadow Tower. Everyone hates that game on release, but it’s actually a really solid ARPG that established some of the mechanics for the Souls series.

Perfect! Should I start a Google Doc for us to throw things on or do you just prefer email?
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Tue May 18, 2021 10:57 am

Whilst I'm positive I could come up with some suggestions for games to include, unfortunately my experience with the PS1 library is really limited so I don't think I'd be much help actually writing the article
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Tue May 18, 2021 11:19 am

alienjesus wrote:Whilst I'm positive I could come up with some suggestions for games to include, unfortunately my experience with the PS1 library is really limited so I don't think I'd be much help actually writing the article

OK -- if there's ones that don't currently have a full feature with a screenshot on the existing guide that you think really should be featured, feel free to mark a short case for it :)
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Tue May 18, 2021 11:43 am

racketboy wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:I am happy to help.

Perfect! Should I start a Google Doc for us to throw things on or do you just prefer email?

I can just send you something in an email.
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Tue May 18, 2021 12:48 pm

I made a list of all the PS1 import games on the North American PS3 PSN a little while ago. Several of them are already in the hidden gems article but feel free to reference it for ideas. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing Sadly I have not purchased any yet so I probably wouldn't be a good choice to write a review.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Tue May 18, 2021 11:41 pm

I just sent some reviews via PM! I hope that they’re helpful, and I’m happy to write a few more if you’d like.
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Wed May 19, 2021 9:29 am

Awesome -- thanks!
It's nice to have the ball rolling on this!

I'm always up for more if you are!
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Wed May 19, 2021 9:30 am

bmoc wrote:I made a list of all the PS1 import games on the North American PS3 PSN a little while ago. Several of them are already in the hidden gems article but feel free to reference it for ideas. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing Sadly I have not purchased any yet so I probably wouldn't be a good choice to write a review.

Everything is helpful -- thanks for sharing!
Return to Sony and Microsoft