PlayStation Classic

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Re: PlayStation Classic

Post by samsonlonghair »

Ziggy587 wrote:So I just noticed the PlayStation Classic is only $20 on Amazon right now... Should I pick one up? Sounds like modding it to add games is easy, but how does it play? I've heard the emulation is shitty. Does modding it fix that at all? For this price I'm seriously thinking about picking one up!

At that price point it's worth $20 just to have a cool little toy that looks like a PS1. Who cares if it does anything at all? :lol:

The modding scene has come a long way. Mine is still stock for now, and yes the emulation is as poor as everyone says. Like you, I waited until I saw it get cheap enough. In my case, I saw it on sale at Target for $30. I feel like that's a good value for what you get. At the original $100 msrp it's a poor value, but for $20 or $30 just go for it. Honestly, I think the neat little USB controller is worth that much.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

I took a quick gander at the /r/PlayStationClassic subreddit and it looks like more people are using AutoBleem rather than BleemSync these days. So there are options on how you want to hack it. I'm almost certain that both those hacks provide methods for using better emulators than what came stock.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

You can use AutoBleem by itself, or install BleemSync for the OTG support and still use AutoBleem. I recommend it over BleemSync, honestly, as it's much easier to install games to it. They have a package that also bundles RetroBoot, which can either be a standalone RetroArch-only package, or one you can boot from the AutoBleem menu. And yes, you can use an updated build of PCSX-ReARMed with that, which fixes a few games.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Well it's still $20 on Amazon right now, but it wont let me add it to my cart. I think it has something to do with the fact that it's out of stock and says it will ship August 24th.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Sarge wrote:You can use AutoBleem by itself, or install BleemSync for the OTG support and still use AutoBleem. I recommend it over BleemSync, honestly, as it's much easier to install games to it. They have a package that also bundles RetroBoot, which can either be a standalone RetroArch-only package, or one you can boot from the AutoBleem menu. And yes, you can use an updated build of PCSX-ReARMed with that, which fixes a few games.

I forget. Which of those works better with Mac? Was it Autobleem or Bleemsync?
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Damn, now it's gone! I should have bought it for $20 when I had the chance! Oh well, the emulation sucks on it apparently so no big loss I guess.
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

Don't think of it as a loss. Think of it instead as you just saved yourself twenty buck.
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

I have BleemSync on both of mine with a 32gb scandisk cruiser. Mine only had PS1 games on it so I boot directly to the UI (different theme). It plays nice and with it modded I can use my dual analog controller with a USB adapter.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

samsonlonghair wrote:
Sarge wrote:You can use AutoBleem by itself, or install BleemSync for the OTG support and still use AutoBleem. I recommend it over BleemSync, honestly, as it's much easier to install games to it. They have a package that also bundles RetroBoot, which can either be a standalone RetroArch-only package, or one you can boot from the AutoBleem menu. And yes, you can use an updated build of PCSX-ReARMed with that, which fixes a few games.

I forget. Which of those works better with Mac? Was it Autobleem or Bleemsync?

No idea. Probably AutoBleem, since you don't have to work around a transfer tool and can just dump files on the memory stick without fuss.