Upgrading CRT TVs to Component/RGB input? Services?

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
racketboy
Site Admin

Upgrading CRT TVs to Component/RGB input? Services?

Post by racketboy »

With the resale market of PVMs heating up, I’m curious if there’s services out there for people that could take an old consumer TV and modify it to allow Component/RGB input. I realize those in the UK have SCART, etc, but here in the States, we weren’t so fortunate.

Even if you don’t have a direct answer for those that perform these services, I’m open to expanding the conversation around this topic...
Ziggy

Re: Upgrading CRT TVs to Component/RGB input? Services?

Post by Ziggy »

This is something I've been very interested in doing myself, but I am terrified of working inside of a CRT because of the dangerous voltages. I've watched many videos on how to discharge them so you can safely work on them, and the discharging process is super easy, but I'm still too chicken to crack open a CRT.

There are MANY late model CRTs that can very easily be modified to accept an RGB input. From what I understand, later models tend to use a "jungle IC" where you can easily inject an RGB signal into the OSD (on screen display, it's the menu system). The only hard part is figuring out how to properly attenuate the signal levels, if needed. Not that it's hard, but it requires some knowledge.

The 8-bit Guy has a pretty good explanation how the mod works, if anyone is interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLz6pgvsZ_I
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I've done it. It's more complicated if it doesn't have a jungle chip. If it does have a jungle chip, and you don't have the pinout of it, you can lick your finger and run it across the pins until you see a solid color interference. I wouldn't recommend anyone who doesn't understand where the high voltages are even attempt to open a CRT.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Soniccd123

Post by Soniccd123 »

I've modded a TV for RGB input that doesn't have a Jungle IC, it worked and is now my default gaming TV. However, I don't know if the results are reproducible in other TV models and brands. It was somewhat experimental and I actually tried because it was my worst TV and was not so afraid of damaging it (which is quite ironic as now it is for sure my best TV). If its of interest i can post how I did it, but be advised that it is experimental work and I can not garantee that it will work.

Also: Do not try to mod a CRT if you don't know what you're doing, errors can result in serious injury.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Soniccd123 wrote:I've modded a TV for RGB input that doesn't have a Jungle IC, it worked and is now my default gaming TV. However, I don't know if the results are reproducible in other TV models and brands. It was somewhat experimental and I actually tried because it was my worst TV and was not so afraid of damaging it (which is quite ironic as now it is for sure my best TV). If its of interest i can post how I did it, but be advised that it is experimental work and I can not garantee that it will work.

Also: Do not try to mod a CRT if you don't know what you're doing, errors can result in serious injury.

I would love to create a work-in-progress guide to document things and bring attention to the topic, and in the process, possibly get others to chime in with their experience.

If you’re up for starting a Google Doc or something, shoot me a note :)