Discuss all hardware and software modifications
BEERS AND VIDEOS
16-bit

Component cable mod for TurboGrafx / PC Engine?

by BEERS AND VIDEOS Wed May 22, 2019 12:45 pm

Years ago I had Turbokon over at PCEngineFX.com do some component video mods on a couple of systems. These mods used the existing 8-pin port for video out and special component cables to get the higher quality video output to the TV. They've worked amazing so far - except that recently I notice that one of the cables seems to be malfuncitoning. I've tried to hit up Turbokon on the PCEngineFX site, but the forum is very inactive since it was switched over to "read only" in January of 2019. I've also tried to hit him up on his modding website, but no response. Has anyone heard of such a mod or would know where to get these custom cables?? Now that PCEngineFX is down, I can't really find a lot of resources for the PC Engine or TurboGrafx. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Re: Component cable mod for TurboGrafx / PC Engine?

by samsonlonghair Wed May 22, 2019 1:16 pm

I seem to recall hearing about a new solution that plugs into the CD-ROM port and outputs RGB video. Look up the "Super SD System 3". It's not a cheap piece of kit, but it can do a lot. I can't tell you firsthand because it's beyond my price range.

Wish I could be of more help.
marurun

by marurun Wed May 22, 2019 1:31 pm

Component video requires some processing from RGB, so Turbokon’s solution likely has a chip somewhere. Someone with basic skills could probably check your cables or installation for continuity.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Wed May 22, 2019 2:17 pm

marurun wrote:Component video requires some processing from RGB, so Turbokon’s solution likely has a chip somewhere. Someone with basic skills could probably check your cables or installation for continuity.

You can use the HD Retrovision's Genesis component cables with the Super SD System 3.

https://www.hdretrovision.com/genesis

Not a cheap option just for component video, but an option nonetheless.

BEERS AND VIDEOS wrote:Years ago I had Turbokon over at <span class="skimlinks-unlinked">PCEngineFX.com</span> do some component video mods on a couple of systems. These mods used the existing 8-pin port for video out and special component cables to get the higher quality video output to the TV. They've worked amazing so far - except that recently I notice that one of the cables seems to be malfuncitoning. I've tried to hit up Turbokon on the PCEngineFX site, but the forum is very inactive since it was switched over to "read only" in January of 2019. I've also tried to hit him up on his modding website, but no response. Has anyone heard of such a mod or would know where to get these custom cables?? Now that PCEngineFX is down, I can't really find a lot of resources for the PC Engine or TurboGrafx. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

How can you be sure it's the cable? What are the symptoms you are experiencing? Assuming there's nothing wrong with the internal mod, the cable could either be repaired or a new cable could be made. You just need to know the pinout of the cable since it sounds custom. If that info isn't available anywhere, it can be found out from the cable itself if it isn't too damaged.
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Wed May 22, 2019 3:52 pm

Ziggy587 wrote:
marurun wrote:Component video requires some processing from RGB, so Turbokon’s solution likely has a chip somewhere. Someone with basic skills could probably check your cables or installation for continuity.

You can use the HD Retrovision's Genesis component cables with the Super SD System 3.

https://www.hdretrovision.com/genesis

Not a cheap option just for component video, but an option nonetheless.

JUST for component, yes, it's not the most cost-effective option, but when you consider that you're getting component output AND the full PC Engine/PC Engine CD library (so long as you can acquire the ROMs/ISOs in one way or another), it's pretty much the best option in my opinion (speaking as a SSDS3 owner).
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

BEERS AND VIDEOS
16-bit

by BEERS AND VIDEOS Wed May 22, 2019 10:36 pm

Thanks guys for all the responses.

It’s the cable. I have another custom cable and it works fine. That was the first thing I checked. But that’s definitely a mistake I’ve made before!

Wasn’t sure about the Retrovision HD cable. I’ll do some digging around to verify but that would be an easy solution, if it is a bit pricey.

I do need to verify what is exactly going on with the cable and it might be a simple fix. I’m just that guy who usually messes stuff like this up more.

The SD System 3 is a no go. I’ve got CD systems and that’s basically a ROM loader. But I appreciate the suggestion!

Thanks for all the suggestions in fact! It’s been rough trying to find a strong PCE community to run this by (though I’ve been a member off and on here for a long time). Looks like there are definitely some PCE fans here.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

by samsonlonghair Wed May 22, 2019 11:01 pm

We all love the 8-bit and 16-bit era around here. :D
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Thu May 23, 2019 6:52 pm

BEERS AND VIDEOS wrote:The SD System 3 is a no go. I’ve got CD systems and that’s basically a ROM loader. But I appreciate the suggestion!

There's also the Engine Block: https://stoneagegamer.com/engine-block- ... c=retrorgb

This also uses the model 2 Genesis AV pinout, so that HD Retrovision component cable will work with this as well!

https://db-electronics.ca/product/dbgrafx-booster-ttp/
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
BEERS AND VIDEOS
16-bit

by BEERS AND VIDEOS Fri May 31, 2019 4:40 pm

The Engine Block looks like a good solution, but I play a lot of CD based games so using up the extension port would be a deal breaker for me.

Unfortunately I've discovered even more going on here with this cable. As it turns out Turbokon didn't do the mod on this specific unit - he did two others I have. And it looks like I may have confused some of the cables, because now when I'm testing with different cables, it looks like the TurboDuo I'm having issues with is acting up with both! And during all this testing, I've discovered I think I have a Super Grafx that simply won't power up. So I've got all sorts of issues going on. Luckily, I have one other unit, and a TurboExpress that are playing just fine.

I guess my real question now is, who's a good person to turn to for modding services? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
bacteria
Next-Gen

by bacteria Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:58 pm

This is an old thread however if anyone is still interested, one option is to tap off the PCengine's RGB pins and connect from a SCART in > HDMI out connector (needs to be one that needs power, not just an adapter), as the SCART would allow you to connect RGB and audio in, the converter will then convert to HDMI to go to a modern TV. Also works from that gadget with composite as well as SCART has that too.

Before I pretty much lost interest in modding, I made a plug-in multi system that connected a re-housed console system into a base unit which allowed a single controller to work on a number of systems and also do this with video HDMI, for N64 (also using an RGB board), Megadrive, SNES, and for Wii, PS2 slim and GameCube using their controllers but same connectors; works well.
I am the Bacman
Return to Hacks and Mods